Why hasn't.....

If this has been covered before, please excuse me. I probably missed it.

In the Cadillac dealership I work at we have a '15 XTS based S&S coach with electrical issues. Not the issue here.

That thing is just UGLY! Sorry, the proportions are all off, the rear door looks misshapen, and that roof line.........words cannot describe. A quick look at the coach, the body work and paint look good and the body panels all seem to align well, the construction of the coach is not the complaint here.

Now the 2015 Escalade EXT, why not that for a coach conversion? A stretch could be accomplished while keeping the proportions in line, the rear door opening is more than adequate and a raise of the roof could be accomplished without really throwing the relation of the roof to the body off. I think that the roof extension could be accomplished without any modifications to the door shells by lifting the roof panel from above the upper door frame and aperture panel.

Just thinking out loud.

I, personally, don't think that it is in the best interest of the PCS or this site to pick apart the coaches that are currently being built by the relatively few remaining coach builders. Whether you are talking about current coach builders or SCI, these are all companies that we would like to have support us in our preservation efforts and, hopefully, contribute to our future events. It is easy to get headed down that road without taking into consideration all of those who may be reading what we discuss on this site. If you don't like them, don't buy one.

Having said that, I will take ownership of the fact that I am as opinionated as anyone on this site.

Last edited:
It's not the coachbuilder's work quality, like I said fit and finish was not the issue. The body had a very well done black finish and the body panels had no ripples that I could detect inside the shop under the lighting that usually shows up those flaws. It's just what can they do with a basic body that looks and functions fine as a four door passenger vehicle but does not lend itself to a stretched and raised Funeral coach.

The coachbuilder can only build from the available platform that the vehicle manufacturer supplies. I feel that the DTS was a much better appearing vehicle than the XTS for a coach. That is not the fault of the coachbuilder either that GM discontined the DTS or that Lincoln discontinued the Town Car. The XTS is scheduled for replacement soon also. Possibly the replacement will lend itself better to conversion, only time will tell.

The point I was trying to make is that the Escalade EXT has a body style that lends it better to a stretch and possibly a raised roofline and that maybe one or all of the coachbuilders will consider that platform in the future.

one can only hope. the big problem I see is the up in the nosebleed section. but put the 3/4 truck or the 16 in patrol tires on it and it drops down a lot.

GM would probably corner the professional car market again if they would just introduce another commercial chassis with commercial glass! Then the coachbuilders would have something to work with. That being said, why the heck can't the coachbuilders just modify the existing chassis, and start using a raised windshield as Flxible did with Buicks who also did not offer a commercial chassis? All professional cars currently built on the Cadillac chassis look HORRIBLE in my opinion, they look like door stops with the super low windshield and then arching up at a severe and ugly angle. My guess is because there are certain things they can no longer modify with current safety and EPA requirements which again brings me to the possibility of Cadillac once again offering a specially designed and engineered commercial chassis. Of course the answer always boils down to cost vs. profit. They no longer have the combination coach and ambulance business they once enjoyed, which mightily increased their sales per year. BUT, they probably have a much larger customer base with just funeral and livery sales that they didn't have prior to the mid 70s who also replace rolling stock more frequently cuz they just plain 'don't build em like they used to anymore'.

I would guess the powers that be at GM have mulled this over more than once, but it would be great if some day they actually started producing a commercial chassis again.

I can't imagine the research and development dept's are getting the funds they need when head office is paying fines and lawsuits for all the screw ups in their vehicles,can't remember a time when so many recalls,have occurred.for our more seasoned folks remember the USA-Canada auto pact,when made at home meant made at home,thanks for listening I'm good now:soapbox::soapbox:

they have a chassis in the Acadia line the makers refuse to use they could be getting incomplete truck chassis and putting a body on it. I don't know if the offer the caddy in two wheel drive or not. but it would make a easer conversion the splicing the car and building a body. they are starting to show up. as the 4 column with the la Salle style nose at the last years show.
but they still look like a truck with oversize tires on them. get the smaller tires on them and lower the suspension down and I would think people would go for it

I can see Joe's point... this photo below is a case in point, I have yet to hear anyone say, "Wow now that is great styling and lines..."

Attachments

• SS-Masterpiece-1024x506.jpg
    SS-Masterpiece-1024x506.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 229
If this has been covered before, please excuse me. I probably missed it.

In the Cadillac dealership I work at we have a '15 XTS based S&S coach with electrical issues. Not the issue here.

Hey, that's my new hearse I'm waiting on. I got an update on Thursday stating it went to the dealership due to electrical issues. Wonder how it ended up in Michigan when it is supposed to be built in Ohio then shipped here.

Richard

Attachments

• Hearse 2015.jpg
    Hearse 2015.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
I still say the coach builders are doing a good job with what Cadillac and Lincoln supply them to work with. I really think that the new coaches are better looking than those built on the 2000 and newer deVilles. To me, those always look like they had been rear-ended. There really isn't any passenger car or SUV being built today that I could get excited about owning.

at the end of the day.....the general public ( the families we serve ) really don't care what the coach looks like well lets say MOST don't care.
If its black and has a shine to it and looks like a "hearse" then the families are ok with it.

we still haven't received our 2015 Lincoln Coach so we have been renting a 2007 Federal all year no one has ever said to me...... why are you still using an old Cadillac where's the new one ?

one of the largest Funeral Homes in Peterbough, Ontario uses a 2004 Eagle Chevy Alternative Mini Van as their everyday funeral coach and the FD told me that not one person has ever said to him..why do you use a Mini Van and not a "real Hearse" ?

Most families do not care

we are the only ones who seem to care ! lol

I think we should continue to nit pick and criticize the coach builders on everything from style to fit and finish. If nothing is said, they'll think there's nothing wrong. Feedback, both positive and negative is critical to product and service improvement.
I too, have gone back to them for help with an 87 S&S six door I had and got great help!

Hey, that's my new hearse I'm waiting on. I got an update on Thursday stating it went to the dealership due to electrical issues. Wonder how it ended up in Michigan when it is supposed to be built in Ohio then shipped here.

Richard

Is this from a leasing company with Ohio temporary tags?

I think we should continue to nit pick and criticize the coach builders on everything from style to fit and finish. If nothing is said, they'll think there's nothing wrong. Feedback, both positive and negative is critical to product and service improvement.
I too, have gone back to them for help with an 87 S&S six door I had and got great help!

How can I nit pick them on something that I do not, and never have any intention of owning? If you have no interest in 2015 Cadillacs of any model, it is hard to critique what they do with what they are given to work with. I think that it is more important for us to try to build a relationship with them and gain their support.

The evolution of coach building is still ongoing and always will. It will always change ( for the better or worse)

As Tom McPherson wrote in his book American Funeral Cars and Ambulances Since 1900

The progress of the funeral coach and ambulance has paralled that of the passenger car- they have developed together. Styling of the coaches has closely followed that of the passenger car with minor, but interesting, deviations.

and it will continue to do so.
Until G.M. and Ford develop a platform for the coach Companies to work with we are stuck with what we have now .....but it will change again down the road for better or worse !

Just look at Ambulances now....how many people say "god i wish they still made the old Cadillac Ambulances" they were so great work out of ! not too many I would think ....things change...people change the bussines has changed and the Funeral Coach will change as well.

Last edited:
How can I nit pick them on something that I do not, and never have any intention of owning? If you have no interest in 2015 Cadillacs of any model, it is hard to critique what they do with what they are given to work with. I think that it is more important for us to try to build a relationship with them and gain their support.

The 2015 coaches will be old coaches one day....:D

Back