Not THE "You-Know-What" Ambulance

You'll never guess what I found today in a storage lot in Virginia. Yeah, it's THE.... No it's not, but it almost is.

It's rough but definitely appears restorable. Of course, I didn't hear it run. I have no idea if it's for sale. I spoke with the manager of the lot, says it's been there for years, it's paid for on auto-pay and the owner lives out of state. I left my card with the manager who promised to pass my number along to the owner.

Anyone interested?

Attachments

• 20190106_112850 - Copy.jpg
    20190106_112850 - Copy.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 378
  • 20190106_112840 - Copy.jpg
    20190106_112840 - Copy.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 365
  • 20190106_112917 - Copy.jpg
    20190106_112917 - Copy.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 367
  • 20190106_112958 - Copy.jpg
    20190106_112958 - Copy.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 369
  • 20190106_113016 - Copy.jpg
    20190106_113016 - Copy.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 366
Wonder who was transported in it? Heck, once restored, it can go to Barrett Jackson for auction. :beatdeadhorse5:

Can someone fill me on this car? I assume its a rare model from the posts? I am not interested in buying it, but am always interested in history

When John F Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas Nov 22/63 his body was flown back to Washington D.C at the airport a navy ambulance met the plane and transported the body,this car appears to be the same year but no matter what the sale houses state it is not the same one.that one was destroyed at the request of the U.S attorney general Robert Kennedy.{his Brother}.hopefully others will fill in more details...

Can someone fill me on this car? I assume its a rare model from the posts? I am not interested in buying it, but am always interested in history

I sure hope that you have a lot of time on your hands. The tread goes on for 56 pages. Click here....
Stats... 555 replies, and 189,429 views, but it is a far cry from another thread that has 909 replies, and 409,413 views... These posts are what make the Friends of the Professional Car Society, the premier forum about Professional Cars.

needless to say there were a lot of these 64 ambulances out there. I tested fire hose on the base at long beach nest to one of them and the spruce goose. sorry at the time the goose was more interesting.

I sure hope that you have a lot of time on your hands. The tread goes on for 56 pages. Click here....
Stats... 555 replies, and 189,429 views, but it is a far cry from another thread that has 909 replies, and 409,413 views... These posts are what make the Friends of the Professional Car Society, the premier forum about Professional Cars.

Interesting. I'm not surprised that others claim to own the original car, people pass down stories and people believe them without documentation. Reminds me how i was told me the flag in my car was left in the coach after a vietnam vets funeral.

Now i realize its more likely it was left there in case it was needed.

And I agree this is without a doubt the premiere place for pro-car knowledge

The navy must have had a money drop in 63 they had to spend and ordered a bunch of them that year.

63 was a very interesting point in Military toy buying and lets politely call it hiding.
Now factor in Command all Military-US- flowed through Pearl Harbor and the overall commander US forces regardless of Branch was an Admiral sitting in Pearl. Any suggestion said Admiral didn't know what was coming in the years to come is wrong.

Pearl became and remained a very large storage location.

US military manpower and supplies at Pearl came close to tipping the island.
Guam was farther along the supply line but Guam has a nasty problem with small brown snakes and nobody knew how to eliminate the snakes.

Sorry, I probably should have been more specific. Yes, as mentioned, this is a '63 Superior Pontiac military (Navy) ambulance. The same year/make/model as the ambulance that transported President Kennedy's body after his assassination. There was a whole hullabaloo in 2011 about a similar ambulance claiming to be THE ambulance that transported JFK, being auctioned by B-J. PCS research confirmed the real one was scrapped in 1988 (at the request of, among others, Sen. Edward Kennedy, but not AG Robert Kennedy, who died 20 years earlier). The one that was auctioned with a lot of publicity was merely, like this one, another of the same year/make/model.

FYI, as I said, I left my card with the manager of the storage yard, who said he would pass my contact info along to the owner of this ambulance. To date, I've received no reply.

Back