Windshield washer fluid color

Jim Staruk

Super Site Supporter
Super Site Supporter
Recently, I acquired an old triangular windshield washer refill bottle for my '64 Cadillac limousine (thanks Paul). Upon researching what to fill it with, I see both green and blue examples of the original fluid. Does it matter what color I fill it with to make it look original? Thanks Jim

Buy a gallon of blue washer fluid, and a bottle of yellow food dye. A few drops of the yellow food dye into the blue fluid, will give you the correct color green, which is correct for the color of the washer fluid that was used in 1965. If you don't care about being period correct, then use anything that you desire.

Buy a gallon of blue washer fluid, and a bottle of yellow food dye. A few drops of the yellow food dye into the blue fluid, will give you the correct color green, which is correct for the color of the washer fluid that was used in 1965. If you don't care about being period correct, then use anything that you desire.

Thanks Paul!

Attachments

• IMG_1549.jpg
    IMG_1549.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_1551.jpg
    IMG_1551.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 173
Too dark.
Let it sit in the sun for a few days & mask the label for protection.

That is the exact correct color for the GM windshield washer fluid. Jim can attest to this, since there was the dried remains of the liquid on the bottom of the bottle that I gave him.

Lady I well remember and still love had a 61 Chevy Belair with one of those bottles clipped onto the right inner fender. She asked me to look into why her windshield pizzer wasn't working since the bottle was still full. I looked under the hood and quickly discovered the bottle was in fact full and sealed, but the tank leading to the pump on the floor next to the dimmer switch was dry.

Filled the tank from the barrel and told her I fixed the hose problem. Sometimes you just solve problems for your mom. That bottle went to the next owner of the car still full.

Fellow here was selling it to the Post Office by the barrel, 50% alcohol, 49.9% creek water and an ounce of surfactent and a touch of food coloring. Did a real good business till his garage burned and nobody noticed till the wood got going good.

Mid 1970's GM discontinued the glass bottles, replaced by a plastic bottle of the same shape and size.

Before long a TSB was issued stating as while the new bottles would fit in the bracket under the hood it was not designed nor intended to be use d in that manner. Due to the higher underhood temperatures of late model cars, the contents of the bottle together with the plastic bottle itself could melt and under the right conditions the bottle and contents ignite.

Shortly thereafter the three sided bottle design was replaced with a new four side bottle, again plastic but designed not to fit in the now empty bracket.

Back