Who Needs Door Weatherstripping

I spoke to a manufacturer, and they said that they needed at least 1500 feet ordered to make it worth while for them to do a run of rubber. I didn't pursue it any further, since I wasn't able to find 15 people to commit to buying 100 feet. If I can find enough people to do this, I will move forward with the project.. Here is the post from November 2009. Paul

now this weather striping is only good on MM -cb- and 70s superiors, that i know of. I'll go in for 200 ft of it if we can get them to make it.

As previously stated, I'm in for at least 100'. Ed...you stated 100' is enough for a single vehicle...does that leave much room for error?

100 feet will let you mess up one door. I have started putting them on with weld wood contack cement. find it works better them the 3m stuff. on Roberts I ended up sewing the courners to keep them in tack. Jims I used the tire patch cement on the courners. that worked good. so making a butt splice on a straght run is Ok to. I used the 3m yellow on the 73 and setting out in the sun it rolled off over the winter. left a big mess to clean up and redo. the weld wood so far is sticking good. just have you some moving air when you use it and do not light anything near it.

If this material works for both Miller-Meteor and Superior, I'm in for 200ft which sounds like enough to do 2 cars: my '75 M-M and '72 Superior.

I'm going to need some for the 63.

the 63 superior used a different style. we got that one covered easily.

now people look at that profile here. I know that the 71 superior used the same profile. so I would guess 70 -76 at least. then 68 MM I have here is the same so 68 to 76 for them. I know they most likely go back older on the millers but I don't have one to compare. at 4 bucks a foot your talking 400 to do a car. 800 for 2 cars. if he sells it in bulk some one has to lay out around 4500.00 at 3 bucks a foot. hoping to sell enough to the rest to cover expenses. I have dealt with the man before but with only about 10 cars committed I don't know if I want $1500 of weather striping laying around here either.

Attachments

• IMG_1585.JPG
    IMG_1585.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 235
I am dealing with another manufacturer that will produce the product and hopefully at a more reasonable price... thanks

Just spoke to the representative of the manufacturer, and I am getting a quote on the cost of the dies and a per foot price, subject to final negotiations after I supply them with a sample. If you are interested, please send me a PM telling me how many feet that you are willing to commit to.. From what Ed has said, you will need approximately 100' to do a 5 door coach, including waste due to trimming.

I don't know which Paul you have been speaking to, however, it wasn't me. I abandoned this project when another Website Member said that he was going to have the rubber produced. I was quoted the price for 3000 feet, and the die cost amortized into the total cost, the delivered price was in the $1.25 per foot range. It was going to sell to the end user (PCS Member) for $2.00 per foot delivered, with the small profit going to support the website.
I have used this companies rubber weatherstripping on one of my other cars, and the fit and finish is as good or better than the original that was delivered with the car when new. The company that I was put in contact with, isn't Steele Rubber or Metro Rubber, but a manufacturer of product for the American automobile manufacturers. It was going to be produced as a "prototype" item, since they normally manufacture in 10's of thousands of feet.

As a side note, I know first hand that the rubber that was produced will not work on a 1971 - 1976 Superior coach, since it was tried by a website member, and didn't work. The material was too dense for the door to close and latch.

How Much?

What is the cost on it or is it one of those "If you have to ask you can't afford it" deals. I may be so inclined to get a few hundred feet.

Back