Another 1996 CADILLAC KRYSTAL ISSUES

1996 CADILLAC HEARSE KRYSTAL THE CAR IS CURRENTLY NOT RUNNING. IM AM GOING TO DESCRIBE WHAT OCCURED WHEN IT QUIT RUNNING TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY. THE NIGHT IT QUIT RUNNING I HAD DRIVEN IT OVER 125 MILES. I DROVE IT IN A HALLOWEEN PARADE, WHILE WAITING FOR THE PARADE TO START I SMELLED WHAT I THOUGHT TO BE A MELTING WIRE. I LOOKED UNDER THE HOOD AND SAW NO SMOKE, AND SMELLED NOTHING. THE CAR DROVE HOME 55 MILES AND WAS FINE. I STOPPED AND RESTSTARTED IT ONE TIME AND IT WAS FINE, ABOUR 2 HOURS LATER I TRIED TO START IT AND IT WOULDN'T START. A MECHANIC REPLACED THE OPTI SENSOR, PLUGS, CHECKED FOR FUEL PRESSURE NONE OF THAT HELPED. BEFORE HE WAS GOING TO CHARGE ME A BUNCH OF MONEY I HAD HIM STOP. THAT IS WHERE WE ARE NOW. THE CAR HAD RUN BEAUTIFULLY WITH NO PROBLEMS PRIOR TO THIS OCCURANCE. I HAVE DRIVEN THE CAR OVER 10,000 MILES WITHOUT A HITCH. Petes note: Think security system issue overpriced anyway.https://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Cadil...ash=item3d4e2c08a3:g:OLsAAOSwjodaARja&vxp=mtr

That, non-running, coach with the paint/body issues that it has should be priced at half of the seller's asking price.

I still swear that electronic issues will kill. The old car hobby. As the cars get older parts can't be found that will let them run.each modal year seams to approach the problem on how to get it to run different. .with parts dropping off at the 5 to 10 year range and no longer available after that. The shot gun approach is being preformed on a lot of cars. When the majority of times it's a bad connection some were else causing other parts to fail. One deeds a Christmas light bulb detector that will trace down the opens so you can find were you need to fix the thing.

Which is why so many 10 year old luxury cars are in the salvage yards! Any given repair involving electronics is $1000 or more at a dealership.

I had my 2004 Crown Vic LS into the local Ford dealer for Ford's automatic headlight factory recall. While there, I had them check into why my climate control(or whatever Ford calls it) was acting up. Turned out to be a vacuum leak inside the control. They quoted like $1200 to install a new unit. I passed. I will take my chances on a used one from the Pick-N-Pull for $19.95!

Check Ebay there are several rebuilders priced right. One of my customers who bought the Chiefs LX had the issue the rebuilder fixed him up fine. They also rebuild the compass temp units on the LX they are also failure prone. Here is a good one the Audi A8 has an issue where the car will not start and it can not be gotten out of park, radio windows power seat still work. comes down to a (key recognition module) has gone down the tube. Get ready its mounted on the steering column BUT WAIT!!! its not sold individually you must buy THE WHOLE COLUMN $2000.00 list from Audi then they charge you $500.00 at your friendly Audi dealer to install it. Most of todays cars will not make it to collector status as the electronics will fail and there will be no parts or skill to repair them.

Those that aren't scrapped, might make it into static displays in museums for future generations.

Which is why so many 10 year old luxury cars are in the salvage yards! Any given repair involving electronics is $1000 or more at a dealership.

I had my 2004 Crown Vic LS into the local Ford dealer for Ford's automatic headlight factory recall. While there, I had them check into why my climate control(or whatever Ford calls it) was acting up. Turned out to be a vacuum leak inside the control. They quoted like $1200 to install a new unit. I passed. I will take my chances on a used one from the Pick-N-Pull for $19.95!

I have a 2004 and a 2005 crown vic popo parts car if anyone needs help with parts. Both run still but I have taken a lot of parts.

Pete,
I am assuming that I cannot just switch out the controls with those from a Crown Vic/Grand Marquis with manually controlled heat/A.C.?? I would love to just do that, but I assume that is not that simple.

Nice try but NO there is NO similarity. Its so bad that the City of Philadelphia has a number of LXs they use for high up City Hall Drones and PD brass. They keep em as they are just selling 02s and one 03 they have digital AC controls and Clusters out of five I have purchased two have had the digital AC control and clusters removed so I guess the maintenance shop can't get them either.

My next driver will be another '03 or newer Grand Marquis GS with the manual heat/A.C. controls!(I prefer a cloth seat anyway)

You would love the one we just repaired. Grandpops car. A black 05 GS with a cloth interior 73k original miles spare tire never on the ground. Grandad ran into someone bashed the right front fender hood and header panel never hurt AC or cooling radiators. Car was always garaged Marine sticker in back window.I Bought it from Ins. Co. They are around just have to keep your eyes open.

Special Thanks go out to the wonderful folks who gave us the lead free solder which whiskers and disconnects so many electrical components from these cars.
I have a friend in the satellite engineering world who tells me known solder whiskering causes that community to include quintuple redundancy into everything going up to keep the junk working. Oddly the Lead Police grant no exception, after all, a baby in space might chew on a printed circuit.

Others in the electronic surplus world tell me they have scrapped truckloads of NOS components rather than deal with the Lead Police.

Well, I lucked out! The EATC control(Ford's problematic auto temp controller) that I picked up from the Pick-N-Pull for $19.95 turned out to work beautifully and it was an easy swap-out. A considerable savings over the $1200 new replacement(installed) quoted by the Ford dealer!

Back