Can you remember?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gas at this price? The lowest I ever paid was 19.9 cents.

richard

95GAS.jpg

Fuel prices

When we first started in business (41) years ago) we paid 11 cents per gallon for Diesel Fuel.... don't remember what gas was? The X-Moffat County General Hospital (Craig, Colorado) 1956 Meteor-Cadillac Ambulance we restored in 2000 (retired circa 1973) that belongs to Hewy & Ruth Wick now had some "Super Shell" receipts in the glove box for around 23 cents per gallon as I recall. MM

I'll take a gallon at 13 and a half cents please. Sorry, I'm out of half pennys.;)

Richard

Not quite as old as you guys but I do remember when Coke came in a glass bottle for 6 cents (including the 1 cent deposit on the bottle) and there was home milk and bread delivery daily. Best I can do on the gas is 25 cents a gallon when I was in high school. $10.00 would fill the tank and buy a case of beer and get you into the Friday night dance. Happy Days!

the price

I remember gettting Mobil gas in my first car (a 12 year old 53 Chevy) for 22 cents a gallon. The Mobil station owner was a friend of my dad. Ol' Frank actually apologized when he had to raise the price by 2 cents. Now they raise the price 3 times a day and 10 to 30 cents at a time. And they don't justify the raise OR apologize!
Mike

Half Cents

US Mint produced half cent coins through about 1857, they were around the size of a 25 cent piece now.

I remember gas at 17.9 for regular and 19.9 for 'ethyl'. While in HS I worked at a Skelly station that had blend pumps , the lower grade was Skeltane, the Regular, 50/50, Special and the premium Keotane which had a pretty pinkish color. As kids we could cruise the town for about a buck on Friday nights, still have money for A & W root beer and hot dogs! The station I worked at had one of those 'wash & vacuum' policies - there was always some wise guy coming in getting a buck's worth and expecting the tires checked too. We had to wear white uniforms and bow ties. Amazing how there was a station on about every major corner of the city way back then.....

Last edited:
sold lot at 24.9 when I was in High School. but the best I have ever done was in Texas on base at 16.9. two bucks and you could cruse all night in my 59 Chev. but that chauffeur putting gas in that limo. now there is a uniform. fancy pump to one you did not have to pump it up into the globe then let it gravity feed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back