Transmission Fluid

It's that time again... Newbie Question Time!

Will this be ok for my 58?

The transmission started slipping a bit and I am "praying" that it's just low on fluid. I haven't checked it yet. I recall seeing something like "Use only Cadillac something or other" fluid on one of the caps, not sure which one.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/ATI-Performance-Products-100004-Transmission/dp/B005JUW99G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442934633&sr=8-1&keywords=ATI+Performance%C2%AE+100004+-+Transmission+Fluid[/ame]

Now I remember why I got confused. The cap says both Power Steering and Transmission fluid. Will that work for both? And is it possible to overfill this like it is for oil? I am guessing no, but with my past record of me and putting too much oil in various engines, I figure the only thing it could hurt to ask is my pride. I'm not a mechanic, can you tell?

Last edited:
Depends on how low it is. You MUST check it hot running after idle for at least 15 min DO NOT DRIVE IT LOW you will burn up the trans. If oil is not visible on stick after wiping stick off and reinserting it will take at least three quarts. Note engine must be running when checking it ain't like motor oil. I recommend Dextron II for older hydros. If you can find a parts store with a stock of old fluid then regular Dextron is the way to go. Call me with any other questions I am not far away 610-216-0045.

Depends on how low it is. You MUST check it hot running after idle for at least 15 min DO NOT DRIVE IT LOW you will burn up the trans. If oil is not visible on stick after wiping stick off and reinserting it will take at least three quarts. Note engine must be running when checking it ain't like motor oil. I recommend Dextron II for older hydros. If you can find a parts store with a stock of old fluid then regular Dextron is the way to go. Call me with any other questions I am not far away 610-216-0045.

Ok, I had to drive it to work the last 2 days as my other car is in the shop. I'll have to at least get it home. It's only about a 15 minute drive. I'll take it super easy. Judging by a preliminary internet search, I will be lucky to find the Dexron II. And so I am clear, that's also the power steering fluid in the same reservoir?

Last edited:
Ok, I just checked it. Ran for 15 minutes, wiped and checked. Looks dry as a bone. A few little drops appear on the back of the dipstick. Nothing significant. I'm a little leary about moving it at all now.

Do you know of anywhere in the Allentown/Bethlehem vicinity that I could pick up some Dexron or Dexron II. I could have my wife pick me up from work and head to an auto store after work. I assume all the normal places are going to only have the new Dexron IV. I read it's supposed to be backwards compatible with GM's?

For sure, I'de rather have the recommended type, but leaving the car in the work parking lot while I wait for an ebay purchase to arrive (only place I found online to have Dexron II) is kind of debatable.

Last edited:
DON'T DRIVE IT LOW put the new stuff in probably will take three or four quarts just do it its not going to hurt anything in the short term. And no the power steering and transmission are connected in anyway. Take note on left front of engine ( right front as you face coach) you will see a round cap that is power steering fill. You have ny phone number if you need more info.

Also pick up a can of Seafoam, and install it along with the transmission fluid. Even if it is over full by a pint, it won't hurt anything, and after a few weeks of driving, the Seafoam will be absorbed into space somewhere. Never could figure out where it went, but it is back to the full level after a while of driving. It will smooth out the shift pattern, and condition your seals. This is the only thing that my transmission repair shops suggests that you try before they pull the transmission. It worked well for me, and should do the same thing for you.

As for the transmission power steering fluid question, Im not sure if anyone really explained that. If so, I missed it. Back then, they used trans fluid for the power steering reservoir, instead of power steering fluid. It is two totally separate systems. Hope this clears that up for you. Others have pretty much explained everything else, and when checking the trans fluid, do not check it after driving it, it will give you a false reading. Just start it and let it idle to get up to operating temp--10-15 minutes or so. And like others said, do not drive it if the fluid is low, or instead of paying $10 for fluid, you will be looking at well over a grand in repairs when you burn it up.

the 58 uses the Textron II in the power steering. but the new power steering will work and mix also. with me it's why have two cans when you can have one.

As for the transmission power steering fluid question, Im not sure if anyone really explained that. If so, I missed it. Back then, they used trans fluid for the power steering reservoir, instead of power steering fluid. It is two totally separate systems. Hope this clears that up for you. Others have pretty much explained everything else, and when checking the trans fluid, do not check it after driving it, it will give you a false reading. Just start it and let it idle to get up to operating temp--10-15 minutes or so. And like others said, do not drive it if the fluid is low, or instead of paying $10 for fluid, you will be looking at well over a grand in repairs when you burn it up.

I am going to disagree with John on the checking of the transmission fluid. If you drive the car, and then want to check the transmission fluid level, the car should be parked on a level site, and the transmission selector put in neutral. Make sure to set the parking brake before you exit the car. Then open the hood, and remove the transmission dip stick, and wipe it off with a rag, and reinsert it into the transmission dip stick tube. Remove, and check the reading. It should be between the full line, and the "add oil" mark on the stick. Actually, checking after driving the car is the proper way, since the oil has circulated throughout the transmission, and filled the torque convert. Torque converters on older cars tend to drain back into the transmission pan, and don't fully fill, until the transmission is put under load (driving). Another important factor is that it has expanded to its maximum. As long as the fluid is between the two marks when hot, you are golden.

I am with Paul on this one car should be driven and then checked. However do not attempt to drive if fluid is low enough for slippage or reluctant to move when put in gear in this case add about two quarts and try it if moving is strong and not slipping drive a couple of miles and then check as Paul suggests. So far as neutral goes it is not needed park is OK EXCEPT for Mopars they MUST be checked in neutral or a false reading will result.

I am going to disagree with John on the checking of the transmission fluid. If you drive the car, and then want to check the transmission fluid level, the car should be parked on a level site, and the transmission selector put in neutral. Make sure to set the parking brake before you exit the car. Then open the hood, and remove the transmission dip stick, and wipe it off with a rag, and reinsert it into the transmission dip stick tube. Remove, and check the reading. It should be between the full line, and the "add oil" mark on the stick. Actually, checking after driving the car is the proper way, since the oil has circulated throughout the transmission, and filled the torque convert. Torque converters on older cars tend to drain back into the transmission pan, and don't fully fill, until the transmission is put under load (driving). Another important factor is that it has expanded to its maximum. As long as the fluid is between the two marks when hot, you are golden.

Good to know. I was always told not to check it after driving it at high speeds or it would read wrong. Its been so long, Im not even sure where I heard that from.

every mechanic has there Ida of when and how. I find it just a effective to let it warm up cycle it threw the gears then check it. but if I have done that i recheck it some time after driving it. just one of those double checks that don't hurt might help kind of thing. one hint is the transmission runs some were in the 170 to 190 temperature range during normal driving. when it's hot you may have difficulty getting a reading. if you at a filling station dip the the dip stick in the windshield washing station. this will cool the stick off so when you check it the oil will build on the cold stick giving you a good reading.

Back