'74 M-M Lifeliner

Kurt Arends

PCS Elected Director 2021-2024
I have had an opportunity pop up that I am going to have to act on fairly soon. This opportunity is going to require that I free up some space and sell some projects that I really had not planned on selling yet. That said, I am offering my '74 M-M Lifeliner ambulance for sale.

This rig spent the vast majority of its working life with the Minden City/County Public Safety Authority in Minden, NE. They traded it in for a new Stratus ambulance in 1993 and it them became part of Gene Knisely's "collection" in the Kansas City area. Unfortunately, Gene was not a good "custodian" of these old ambulances and they suffered from neglect. I have acquired NOS quarter panels, side door panels, and a R/F door panel that will all go with this rig. It is well-optioned and includes its original Federal "Q" and a Federal Interceptor. I have not had time to put into getting this rig running or back on the road. Asking $3500, but I want it to go to the right new home more than anything.

Attachments

• IMG_0506.jpg
    IMG_0506.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 844
  • IMG_0507.jpg
    IMG_0507.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 818
  • IMG_0508.jpg
    IMG_0508.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 821
It is the only one I have seen with a removable squad bench. Looked at it a couple times it is rough but comes with new panels. All the we need stuff is there. 48 or a low top I would be vary temped.

The Shurtleff Ambulance Service in Lincoln, NE owned it only very briefly, prior to trading it in on a new '75 M-M Lifeliner. Here it is in their 1975 Yellow Pages ad.

Attachments

• Shurtleff Eastern Ad.jpg
    Shurtleff Eastern Ad.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 816
As Ed mentioned, this Lifeliner has a factory-built, removeable squad bench. I have never seen this option pictured in M-M's brochures and I have never seen it in another M-M ambulance. The bench was clearly built by M-M.

This is not a good image of the "removable" aspect of this bench, but the only photo that I have on my computer tonight. I will try to stop by my building tomorrow afternoon and get a better photo. This bench is open underneath and basically stands on 3 legs, which is where it can be detached.

Attachments

• IMG_0556.jpg
    IMG_0556.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 714
These are the NOS M-M skins that are included with the sale.

Attachments

• Lifeliner Skins 1.jpg
    Lifeliner Skins 1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 703
  • Lifeliner Skins 2.jpg
    Lifeliner Skins 2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 698
More skins are available, but few people care enough to make the trek to Cincinnati. I hauled all 5 skins home this past April in the passenger compartment of my 2004 Crown Vic!
Where there's a will, there's a way!

More on the removable squad bench.

Better photos of the removable squad bench. I have never before seen a factory-built squad bench that was removable(not built-in).

Steve Loftin??

Attachments

• Squad 1.JPG
    Squad 1.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 283
  • Squad 2.JPG
    Squad 2.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 287
  • Squad 3.JPG
    Squad 3.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 270
Looking at the hardware, the answer might be that it was delivered from the factory without a squad bench, however, the buyer wanted a squad bench, so the factory made one, along with the mounting hardware and installed it. From the picture, showing a floor compartment, it is obvious that it was added later. Looking at the brackets, they look like they are a combination of standard hardware, and specially bent stainless steel parts that the factory would have the ability to make without much effort, to accommodate the buyers wishes.

You will also notice that the floor storage access door is split into 2 doors and not a single door, as is usually the case. This 2-door configuration was obviously done at the factory. When the bench is out, you can open either side. When in, you still have access through the left door. I don't believe that it was an aftermarket installation.

my guess was a custom order. it is not a quick take out thing. but not a all day job. I was wondering when I looked it over if there were cot bars behind it. that way if you had a number of people to move you could remove the bench put in both cots and hangers. in 1974 small town there would be time to do that. it would not be handy but it could be done

Back