64 pinner service car

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
been looking around to just what it was I bought. one can scratch there head and wonder just why on some things. found the old thread on it with a little help from a friend. been sorting parts tossing the replaced heavy iron and taking inventory. they went to a lot of work to form a floor in the center just to cover it over two feet higher with a wood. a big empty space there. near as I can see they built a wood support and fasten the floor to it to block off the void and the drop down panels filled the sides. I'm sure there is a lot of surprises on this car. meet time it get the stuff back in place and get a brake to work. so we can move it around

Attachments

• IMG_1621.jpg
    IMG_1621.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 781
  • IMG_1622.jpg
    IMG_1622.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 765
  • IMG_1623.jpg
    IMG_1623.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 745
  • IMG_1624.jpg
    IMG_1624.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 745
There was one of these 1964 Chevy Service Cars for sale in TPC, maybe 20 years ago, with a picture, located in Brooklyn, NY. I don't know, whether this could possibly be the same car, or not. At the time, that service car was black.

There was one of these 1964 Chevy Service Cars for sale in TPC, maybe 20 years ago, with a picture, located in Brooklyn, NY. I don't know, whether this could possibly be the same car, or not. At the time, that service car was black.

i believe this is the car formally owned by Dwayne Brooks

This is the one Darwin had in reality it's in about the dame shape it was in in when he got it. He had some unfortunate luck with a body shop so that is the reasion for the striping being done and not primed. It is a good body just the expected rust in the joints to clean up. just tying to figure out how they did the floor right now. It had been removed when he got it. Glad it s a simple interior. I need to get a bake working and some primer on now as we hadn't finshed the 53 yet. Remember preservation and restoraton. Anyone know of a 64 biscane parts car.

This is the one Darwin had in reality it's in about the dame shape it was in in when he got it. He had some unfortunate luck with a body shop so that is the reasion for the striping being done and not primed. It is a good body just the expected rust in the joints to clean up. just tying to figure out how they did the floor right now. It had been removed when he got it. Glad it s a simple interior. I need to get a bake working and some primer on now as we hadn't finshed the 53 yet. Remember preservation and restoraton. Anyone know of a 64 biscane parts car.

The guy, here in Bellevue, that Dwayne had working on the car DID NOT do it any favors. After he did most of what he did do, he left it outside during a couple bad winters. Lied to Dwayne about it when I told him what was going on. Dwayne finally got fed up, and I helped him "repossess" it!! If there is a car on this planet that deserves the "Ed treatment", this is the one!!! Thanks Ed.

The original color of your interior is: Fawn. Material type is: Vinyl. Seat type: Bench. Used for: Biscayne 6 passenger 4 door wagon.

The original color of your car is: Tuxedo Black

Body: 1236 Chevrolet Biscayne 8 cylinder Station Wagon Body

2M is for Powerglide.

SL is for Saint Louis. 02743 is the 2,743rd wagon built there.

No idea on the 46. Possibly, the 46th car that Pinner built that year? Anyone's guess.. Possibly Tom will know..

Low budget car, didn't even have a radio factory installed, but could be added as a dealer item.

I think this may be the car from Brooklyn, since it was originally black and possibly one of one, or at most, one of a few. If I had to guess, I would say the ad appeared in a mid to late Nineties edition of The Professional Car. Maybe I will try to find the ad over the next couple of days, it might shed more light on this old Chevy.

It is the same car.

we have the album set up in the drop shots site https://www.dropshots.com/jer57747/albums/531092 all the pictures will be there post a few here now and them but most will go in that one. still cleaning up and piecing things together. as i never took it a part I have no Ida how it goes back in the interior. so we do the jig saw puzzle and see. mainly see if everthig is there.

but it looks more like a car. mind you nothing has really changed it's just the curb appeal is better. found the tag on the door. can't open the drivers side all the way cause some one built there garage 3 feet to narrow.

Attachments

• IMG_1630.jpg
    IMG_1630.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_1642.jpg
    IMG_1642.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_1644.jpg
    IMG_1644.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_1648.jpg
    IMG_1648.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 298
This is indeed the Brooklyn car. I purchased it from the Fred Herbst funeral home in Brooklyn NY, back around 1988-ish. I spoke with Dwayne Brooks about it when he owned her, and then heard nothing else. I'm glad someone is finally going to restore her. These are the first pics I've seen of her in a while, and sadly it looks like someone has done some horrible things to this poor car. I'll look for some pics of her from back in the 80's. She was original and complete, but partially disassembled when I sold her. Let me know if I can help in any way. I also sent you a private email. So sorry to see the shape she's in.

This is indeed the Brooklyn car. I purchased it from the Fred Herbst funeral home in Brooklyn NY, back around 1988-ish. I spoke with Dwayne Brooks about it when he owned her, and then heard nothing else. I'm glad someone is finally going to restore her. These are the first pics I've seen of her in a while, and sadly it looks like someone has done some horrible things to this poor car. I'll look for some pics of her from back in the 80's. She was original and complete, but partially disassembled when I sold her. Let me know if I can help in any way. I also sent you a private email. So sorry to see the shape she's in.

Matt, thanks for solving the mystery for me. Although I have never owned this car, I had given it some thought back when you had it advertised in The Professional Car. I have not yet located the edition with the ad. Rest assured, she is in capable hands now, with Ed Renstrom. I would really enjoy seeing any pictures of the car from when you owned it.

From the VIN plate DD (delivery date) stamping, 7 7 4, it appears that it was delivered to the purchaser exactly 55 years ago today! July 7th 1964 was on a Tuesday. I remember Jack saying that he drove up on the weekend to deliver it, and that it was a very long ride. Probably dropped the car off on Monday, and the dealer delivered it on Tuesday.

Attachments

• ed's data plate VIN.jpg
    ed's data plate VIN.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 292
The Funeral Home

I did a quick google search of Fred Herbst FH in Brooklyn and I found Fred Herbst Sons FH located at 7814 4TH Ave Bay Ridge Brooklyn, NY, I assume this is the fh of original owner. BTW, Bay Ridge Brooklyn is where the Ragin Family home is located on the tv show Blue Bloods, which has nothing to do with this car, just a point of interest, at least to me.

I did get to speak with 4 members of the Herbst family a couple years ago, and they put a popular rumor about the service car to rest.
Jack and Tom Pinner swore that there were 3 of these built, one per year starting in 1964 and all for Fred Herbst & Sons funeral home. Each would have been unique due to the drastic changes in the cars each year 1964 - 1966. All of the Herbst family said they only ordered the one... this one. They all recalled the service car vividly and loved it! Their dad and a couple uncles would often drive them to school in this car.
Sadly the car had been apart for many years before I bought it. Over that time it suffered from neglect and the side trim all went missing and it sat outdoors for a long time without the front clip installed. When I bought it there was not an engine or transmission, the 283 and Powerglide were long gone.
It makes me sick to see the car in this condition... but I thank my lucky stars daily that it even exists. I'd found a good painter/bodyman, he painted one of my Corvettes and did an exceptional job. He wanted to do the Pinner, so we agreed on a price for the 6 month project.
Work progressed for a while but then slowly he decided to disappear with my car. Being over an hour away from home, I had eyes on the building it was supposedly still at, and one Day Russ Street calls me "Dwayne, your Pinner is outside!" and I replied "meet me there in an hour, bring your SUV!" so we used his SUV to load it quickly and took it home... as you see it now.
With my diabetes i'm not able to do much anymore. It was time to pass it along and I couldn't be more happy with where it went! Ed, enjoy it and give it the love it deserves.

right now we are finishing up on the 53 so ordered the parts necessary to get brakes on it. knowing that curb appeal is necessary for best results. as rusty as it is from being left out side I have elected to put some enamel based primer on the car. to get it one color and keep it from rusting any more. remember the goal preserve and restore. Dwayne was able to keep it inside I can't as I don't have that much space. neither does the man that is going to get it running for me. that and keeping piece with my neighbors being a must, it just looks better from the street. got parts coming for the brakes and parts in the boxes. we get brakes on it and can move it around with out crashing it more. she will go out and the 96 goes back in. as soon as we get done with the 53 and it get running we will start on it with the hopes of driving it back to Ohio for it's third meet. anyone find a Biscayne that has the lower trim let me know. we most likely have to do the cut and splice trick but if you can get the ends you can make it up easily enough. but look at that I still got enough left of the quart to do the roof.

Attachments

• IMG_1659.jpg
    IMG_1659.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1660.jpg
    IMG_1660.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1662.jpg
    IMG_1662.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_1664.jpg
    IMG_1664.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_1663.jpg
    IMG_1663.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_1673.jpg
    IMG_1673.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 183
Purdy's Salvage in Coffeyville, KS should have your moldings Ed. I will get back down there in the next few weeks. How beat up are your rear moldings? Did that car really have a solid bench seat originally?? I would be yanking that seat out and putting a seat out of a 2-door in it. You would wear the knees out of your britches quickly working out of that one!

...........and what size broom did you use to prime that thing?? Lol

Last edited:
Back