Another Tire Q.

I've had a set of Dunlop 235-75 SP-40's on my '73 S&S for ten years,and put around 2500 miles on them.Although they've mostly been light-duty miles @35psi front and back, and I've always garaged and covered my coach,I'm starting to wonder if it's time to think about new ones.The Dunlops look fine,but I don't really know from tires.Whaddaya think?

I believe that the tire manufacturers recommend replacing tires that are ten years old regardless of the wear. I replaced the tires (radials) on my 1967 Chevrolet Bel Air because of a minor front end vibration. I now have new tires, whiter white walls, but the same vibration. So, I somewhat regret buying new tires.

But I suppose safety is the first thing we should be considering.

No more miles that you are putting on the car I would go with the 890 bird ply from coker. If you don't want the 3 inch white go for the black wall and have diamond back put the correct white walls on. You will never have to sorry about tires again.

What type of driving do you do? Are you driving at highway speeds(60-75mph), or just city driving? At 250 miles per year, you can't be doing too much highway driving. At 45 mph or under they will probably never blow one, if properly inflated, and you are not risking damaging anything if one does let go.

Back