Alternator Issues

I just got done pulling the alternator thinking the bearings are shot. I pulled the Lifeliner out of the backyard, cleaned her up, put 3 cans of freon in it and it was cooling great, then took her for a ride. During that time I hear a noise I've not heard before so when I get back to the house got close and personal to the alternator. As Jeremy would say, "Sure nuf summin ain't right". (go with me on this Jeremy just playing). I removed the belt and spun the pully and there is something wrong for sure.
Hopefully the local auto electric shop can fix this for me. If not Paul says there's a place in L.A. that can. I'm hoping it can be repaired by American hands.

Might not be much help, but there is an awesome alternator place near me. They completely rebuilt mine (it's not the big one you have) for $60. It looked like a brand new one when they were finished. I would be pretty sure they could do yours as well. It looks like an abandoned shack in the woods, but they sure know what they are doing and have just about everything they need to make them like new, and they guys sure know their stuff.

I have a spare if you need it.. Just call and let me know and it will be in the mail the next day. Going to need a big box, and lots of stamps. I am certain that there is someone there that can fix this locally. On Monday, check with the local fire department and ask them who repairs the alternators on the fire trucks.

more alternator

Richard,
We have a shop here in town that does nothing but electical charging parts. Alternators, generators, voltage regulators and starters. Only 2 guys work there but they get it right the first time.
I would bet there is someone close to you that can fix your problem. If not they are out there. And some of us know where they are.
Mike

Good news so far. Dropped it off at my local place and the guys eyes opened wide with excitement saying, "That's exactly what I need to get me going" telling me he hasn't seen one like that in a VERY LONG time. He verified that bearing are probably shot and might have some in stock but if not can get them.

Of course we had to go into what type of vehicle it came off and when I mentioned that ambulance, well, they all knew the car.

We'll see....

PS: In the meantime Ed send me that one from South Dakota and I PROMISE I will return it. :yum: (just kidding but thanks)

bearings

Richard,
If your guy hits a wall on those bearings let me know. We have a bearing shop here too. All they sell is bearings and seals. To get the proper bearing we would need the inside and outside diameter and the side to side thickness. If the old bearings still have any id marks or numbers that would help too.
Mike

And the good news has arrived. Ropp's Electric has no issues repairing my alternator. Turns out it was OVER charging (which explains why I had such bright lights) and the front bearing was shot. He will have it ready this afternoon. He says it needs a couple diodes (whatever they are) and will have it charging as it should. Cost is $150 which seems very reasonable to me.

Very excited to get it back on the Lifeliner!!!!

That is a reasonable price to me too. If they used good quality parts you should never have to worry about it again. I remember years ago I had the generator (not alt, not sure what the difference is) in my 60 Superior rebuilt and thats about what it cost me, and it looked new when i got it back, they painted it the correct color and polished the tags.

Little update as to where we stand. Bearings are replaced but when he tested it turns out the stator is acting funny. He found another one in Washington State and it is on it's way and hope to have it by Friday but doubtful.

So much for the local car show Saturday and a fund raiser on Sunday. Oh well, better now than down the road.xmass

I picked up my newly rebuilt alternator today and what a beauty. Got her all hooked up and it is doing just fine.

Attachments

• IMG_4286[1].jpg
    IMG_4286[1].jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 109
Back