exactly what model is our 1970 superior caddy?

John Zicha

PCS Member / EMT / PARAMEDIC
First off, THANK YOU to everyone who has been helping me while we restore our 1970 Caddy Ambulance. I've googled, searched the forums etc. Does anyone know what model it is? To I just measure something to find out if it's a 51" or 54" or a "rescuer"? These are some of the models I've come across in searches and they all look like ours? I "assuming" from what I've read on the forum, given the fact our sign board is higher than the roof line in the back, it's a 51" rescuer?

Attachments

• caddy1web.jpg
    caddy1web.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 20161128_211747.jpg
    20161128_211747.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 20161128_211700.jpg
    20161128_211700.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
First off, THANK YOU to everyone who has been helping me while we restore our 1970 Caddy Ambulance. I've googled, searched the forums etc. Does anyone know what model it is? To I just measure something to find out if it's a 51" or 54" or a "rescuer"? These are some of the models I've come across in searches and they all look like ours? I "assuming" from what I've read on the forum, given the fact our sign board is higher than the roof line in the back, it's a 51" rescuer?

I believe it is a 51 Rescuer, as you do, but I do not have the Superior book to confirm it.

WOW!!!! HOW??? do you know all that??? thank you!!!

I own the Superior book. I looked to see what package 114 consisted of, however, there was no explanation. When I speak with Tom McPherson this week, I will ask him about it. The one thing that will help is if you could write down a list of all the exterior items that might have been options, such as the side ditch (flood) lights, front fender side mounted flashing light, roof beacon, 2 Federal CP25 sirens, right hand spotlight ($19), roof sign, etc.. Then do the same with the interior, itemizing every thing in the patient compartment that you can recognize. One of the best things that would help, is if you were to start a single album in the photo section of the forums, and populate it with extensive detailed photographs of the interior and another album with the same for the exterior. It will help in both identification of options, standard equipment, and in locating replacements for what might be broken or missing. An example, would be a shadow line on the floor, where a Rico suction unit might have been screwed down.

It still is white (a black, chipped shade of it) over red. The colors never changed and when it gets it's body work and paint done, it'll be in the same colors.

then numbers referenced there are #11 GM paint code 1970 color. the AL is American Lafrance candy apple red. which was the fire house truck colors. now the interesting thing about that color is it is a standard ford truck color manufactures paint code T, also the same name. ford used that color for at least 50 years till the base clear stuff came out.

Last edited:
Back