John Keel's '72 Series 75 Sedan

it would appear to be the same as any other been sitting a long time car. with the exception of the parts to repair that go with it. the problem is altogether it not worth the price of the parts. but if a man wanted one and could get it for around a grand with the parts he could have a high milage 72 he needs to put back together and paint. i fit was closer I would think hard on it but the cost of shipping it here is more then the cost of the car most likely. you feel for them the circumstances they have had to deal with. seeing it dragged off to a yard would not be a nice day.

A few years back the John Keel winners visited his garage and grave.

Attachments

• user16_pic473_1266859342.jpg
    user16_pic473_1266859342.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 211
  • user16_pic472_1266854109.jpg
    user16_pic472_1266854109.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 212
  • user16_pic460_1266851473.jpg
    user16_pic460_1266851473.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 213
  • user16_pic461_1266851473.jpg
    user16_pic461_1266851473.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 213
Ed, I would be VERY surprised if you could get anywhere near it for a grand. If previous ads have any bearing on this one it will be an insane amount.

Based on where that windshield break started, I would say that there is a decent chance that the frame could be sprung on that car as well. The seller mentions that it may just be a good parts car for someone. We will just have to see if they are realistic on what a rough '72 Series 75 sedan is worth! I agree with John in that they don't seem to have a good grasp on what those cars are realistically worth.

Pardon my ignorance. What is the deal with the "John Keel Collection"? I know we have an award that is given out in his name but why is it such a "big deal"?

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance. What is the deal with the "John Keel Collection"? I know we have an award that is given out in his name but why is it such a "big deal"?
He had several vehicles, like many of us. Anyone who has several vehicles has a "collection". Not sure if the "collection" is a big deal. The story and movie gained a little bit of a following, perhaps his mother, Ann, is hoping that the movie and such will add a few dollars to the value.

Pat wrote:

I know we have an award that is given out in his name but why is it such a "big deal"?

I see a need for a INFO section somewhere on this site for INFO on what the John Keel award is all about.

Darren

I ever got to meet him I did Ann in Denver. there is a sentimental attachment to the cars he had gathered by the rip old age of 17. it was his enthusiasm for the cars that the Keal award was started to recognise youthful enthusiasm among the members. he died in the garage with carbon monoxide poisoning one afternoon when his parents were not at home. I gather from talk among the other members that knew him that you could not help but smile when he was in the room. there is noway to tell if there is any frame damage with out putting the car up on a rack. if it was it would be most likely a fold up under the cowl. a easy pull down to get it back in place.

I see Johns Olds sedan (not pro car) is listed also. It will be interesting to see if the prices are more realistic than the last time advertised.

What's a really rusty '76 Olds 88 sedan worth these days...... $500?? Why would anyone list that car on eBay with a reserve?

I would fix it up...

I read about John. It is a very sad story...If I had the money, I would buy the limo and fix it up in his memory; I wish I could. I have two children of my own, a 6 year-old and a 9 year-old. I am guessing that many of you also have kids. It must be horrible for his parents. I hope someone buys it and fixes it up...I know that it is not worth much, but, given the circumstances, it would be nice.

it would be better in this case to just pass it on to someone that wanted to do that. Ann drove the Hearse till maintenance on it was more money than it was worth. I'm guessing the 05 meet was her last one to attend with it. the longer the time frame goes the less the car is worth in sentiment and dollars.

I read about John. It is a very sad story...If I had the money, I would buy the limo and fix it up in his memory; I wish I could. I have two children of my own, a 6 year-old and a 9 year-old. I am guessing that many of you also have kids. It must be horrible for his parents. I hope someone buys it and fixes it up...I know that it is not worth much, but, given the circumstances, it would be nice.

I agree to an extent. Yes it could be good to fix in his memory, but when you could buy one in mint condition for probably less than half that she is most likely asking (going from previous asking prices), and then dumping it would be unrealistic in my opinion He also had other coaches in much better condition that would be more deserving to fix in his memory (again in my opinion). I do remember someone telling me years ago the frame was in fact bent.
If Ann gets her asking price, more power to her, Im sure its a difficult decision for her to sell his cars. Im not trying to talk anyone out of buying them, there is one I would love to have from the collection, but I know its just not realistically valued.

I agree to an extent. Yes it could be good to fix in his memory, but when you could buy one in mint condition for probably less than half that she is most likely asking (going from previous asking prices), and then dumping it would be unrealistic in my opinion He also had other coaches in much better condition that would be more deserving to fix in his memory (again in my opinion). I do remember someone telling me years ago the frame was in fact bent.
If Ann gets her asking price, more power to her, Im sure its a difficult decision for her to sell his cars. Im not trying to talk anyone out of buying them, there is one I would love to have from the collection, but I know its just not realistically valued.

Now that the reserve is off, its nice to see the price willing to take has dropped substantially and now at a reasonable price. Now Im looking forward to seeing the Superior Crown come up (that at one time an offer of $50,000 was turned down).

We are 20-25 minutes away

If someone is interested in this or any of the Keel collection that is or will be for sale we may be able to take a look or take additional photos. PM if we can help. Never met John but listening to those that did sounds like a good guy that had a lot of potential. Hopefully John's family can get fair prices for these cars and they can go to homes that will appreciate them.

Back