Miller Meteor?

Josh Gentry

PCS Member
First of all, even though I have owned more Superior's than Miller Meteor's, and have nothing against Superior's. or any other coaches, I am just more partial to Miller Meteor's, but I was wondering, what makes the MM's seem more desirable to us Pro Car collectors? Even though the MM's weren't the top of the line coach, and seemed to be more of a coach for a Funeral Director or Ambulance Service on a budget, in my opinion they are one of the most well built, and best designed coaches, and seem to hold up better than any of the others. For example, I was out in the shop a couple of weeks ago, and my neighbor came over, and while yes my Superior is torn all apart right now, he has seen it several times before I started the restoration, he thought my 67 MM was about 10 years newer than the 71 Superior. Even the 71 MM I use to own, was in better shape than my 71 Superior, or any of the other Superior's I've owned. Even the 90 Superior. Although, I have to say, the 81 S&S seemed to have held up extremely well, it seems like the MM's hold up the best. and seem to be a better quality built coach.:my2cents: So, lets hear your 2 cents.

Josh

For the most part I agree with Josh here but think alot has to do with year of car as I have seen some built better than others of all types. I usually prefer the straight window lines like Josh's car as to the curved tops of Superior of same year. I say good and bad in all of them.:bonk:

Like Danny, my love of Miller-Meteors has always been about the style too. I like the straight roof lines and windows in the M-Ms.

Superiors of the same vintage just have too many angles. I've never liked S&S coaches either. They just looked boring to me and I didn't like their landau bars or date marks.

I have always loved the late '50s and early '60s Eurekas though. There's something really classy and art deco about them.

To say MMs are more desirable to procar collectors is a narrow perspective from your viewpoint alone. Others can speak for themselves. ;)

Certainly each make has strengths and weaknesses. Each person has there own criteria for such basis as well. After all, aesthetics rank highest and Superior reigns supreme, with gracefully flowing lines. :)

Josh opens a can of.....

Well Josh you have done a fine job of opening a can of.... we all know how that goes. Why do we like Miller-Meteor coaches compared to others. Maybe its the way the name rolls off your tougue. Maybe it is because they seem to be the (or one of the) underdogs in the mix of coaches. Like Dan said there are probably good ones and bad ones in anyones line of products.
Could be it is the people that own them. Or maybe it is a combination of cars and people. This could end up being a long discussion.
For me the 61 M-M was my first procar experience. This has been such a great coach all these years there has never been any thought as to replacing it. I have thouhgt of getting an additional coach.
Mike
61 M-M:my2cents:

Well, my love for M-M started for me as a small child when most of the area funeral homes here operated Miller-Meteor coaches! One of those funeral homes was our funeral home that operated two M-M ambulances that started my love for pro-cars to begin with anyway! Also, this area was a hotbed for Miller-Meteor with Lebanon being home to both an M-M dealer, Dixie Coach Company and a M-M distributor, Perry's M-M Sales and another M-M dealer over in Nashville, Anderson M-M Sales! Not to mention that I do own four Miller-Meteor coaches!

For various reason which most of you know, my 70 caddy MM combo will always be at my side and I may even take my last ride in it someday but after selling Peter Jennings my 85 caddy eureka limostyle hearse I have not been able to settle on my next car to maybe keep along with the 70. I have several neat cars right now but none have grown on me to point of keeping anytime. Maybe the 74 criterion will change that?:cheers:

I just wanna say, that I am in no way saying that Miller-Meteor's are better than any other coach, I'm just giving my opinion. I have owned a few Superior's, and stil do own one, and I always will own it as far as i'm concerned, And, I have owned a S&S, and yes, I would own another one. Like others have said, they all have there good and bad. So again, this is just,:my2cents:

Josh

will I have never owned a MM but I have worked on a few. worked on a few superiors to. worked on a S&S and still own two cbs. but I don't think I have ever seen cars like the collection of Eurekas that McDonald's own in Sterling. you can really see the difference in the hand built body and the quality of the interior is second to none. but I'm going to tell you from first hand experience the older you get into, the better built they are. things fit on the old ones. the newer stuff is really sloppy. no matter who made it. then when you get up to the cookie cutters with the switch able name tags!! don't ask.
each of them have some what did they do that for in there line. but then each have some wow to. we stand around a drool over the 30s stuff because I feel that was the peck of the body's in the automobile. 40s still has some neat things but they were cutting back on the wood in them 20s they were still transferring from buggies. but a 30s car was all about quality. oh to have a 30s body with a 2000 suspension and drive train. AC and heater to.

I have both a Superior and an M-M in my collection. I can't say I like one more than the other in regards to the coachbuilder (I like the M-M because it was the last pro-car ambulance in service in my state, but that's not because it was an M-M, just because it was the lucky survivor).

I see Superior fans and M-M fans and S&S fans and Eureka fans and Barnette/Barnett fans, and Dixie Coach fans, and.... All the cars have their strong and weak points. I think there's more hoopla over M-M's because we have an M-M Chapter, but not a Superior chapter (hint, hint, and no, I don't have time to start one).

I say, "Go, Flxible"! :thumb:

The only pro car I own is my S&S Lincoln. I love it because its built on a classic style of Lincoln Town Car and its one of only 14 built in 1986. Im not ashamed to say that I cant tell the difference between a Superior, S&S, M-M, or an Eagle. Im lucky enough to be able to tell the difference between a limo style and a landau. It doesnt matter to me WHO built it, all pro cars are special to me.

I am partial to Superior, but that's because I own one. I like Miller Meteors but if I were to buy another ambulance it would be a 72-74 Superior Hightop. It's one of my all time favorites. Things in the ambulance industry don't change all that much, it seems different parts of the country are partial to different manufacturers. This holds true even to this day.

So, I guess I can say I'm Dixie Coach Company's #1 fan then!!!!!!!!:thewave::thankyou2:

no more like one of the number one fans. we see so few of the smaller companies cars that have served. to find one would be a keeper. one would just have to find room under a tent in the back yard for it. superiors and Miller-Meteor the big dogs had the backing of GM and they had GMs resources
to draw from. some hinting that maybe superior even did stamping of panels for GM. it has been stated the MM used GM design staff to work out there body's. those kind of ins kept there numbers up. leaving the smaller people struggling to get there cars right. it also gave them a lot of clout when it can to shutting out smaller companies. think of Cotner and Bevington's straying into competition with a high class car to go agents the MM line with there AQC line. other then a very few airport limos two people that had run two differed successful lines were not able to get there third up and running. in a dog eat dog world of limited production the two big ones kept there production up. we collect them because we can find them. if we could find Dixie's in every junk yard we would be collecting them. but every one that has one of the rare ones has it kept under lock and key and only lets the secret out to a few close blood brothers.

what Rick said

Rick Franlin hit the nail on the head here. All procars are special. Be it from a major player or one of the small builders. A high end or a first call car are all special to us.
Mike
61 M-M

Back