Hurst

Darren Bedford

PCS Member
I took my Hearse in to a tranny shop and got the speedo cable sealed as it had a oil drip coming from it.

When I got the bill, it had HURST written on it.

Made me smile but the cost of the bill didn't !

:cry:

Darren

Attachments

• hurst.jpg
    hurst.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 566
it is spelled

Darren,

I think the trans shop should get a bit of a break here. They did work on the trans and some transmissions have Hurst shifters.

I am thinking of putting a 3x5 card in the windshield when my coach is parked. The little sign will say:
hearse, a vehicle used in a funeral
Hurst, the automobile shifter popular in
muscle cars
Hearst, the publishing magnate
Which one do you think this is?

Would this be in line with our quest to enlighten the unknowing?
Mike

:071:

Last edited:
I took my LINCOLN in for an oil change once at a Quik-Lube place & the car was listed as a LINKIN (as in the alternative rock band Linkin Park)

I can beat that, on two occasions!

1) The Indiana Chapter used to attend a large multi-make car show, and got them to establish a professional car class for us. Now I would have assumed that a car show would be put on by car guys, and that car guys would know better, but when the trophies got handed out, ours were engraved AMBULANCE/HURST.

2) I took my Bayliff Packard to a transmission shop that I've dealt with for years, so he knows me and knows what I am into. Well long story short, I gave him a thumbnail story of the car, and he had a skilled enough eye to pick up on many of the different parts that went into it. When I went back to pick the car up, he had written on the bill "1985 Johnny Cash", from the song "One Piece At A Time"!

I had a shop write hurst on the bill. I made them change it, they were not going to until I refused to pay. I told them I brought in a hearse for repair, not a Hurst, they were a edition of Oldsmobile with Hurst products so I wanted the correct invoice incase I had to come back you couldnt say, "no this is for a Hurst, and you have a hearse" and refuse warranty. Just trying to save my ass, and I am an ass, but you should learn your cars if you are working on them.

Mike

I wasn't trying to make fun of the guy at all... I just read the model and it made me smile.

I know quite a few people mistake the name and proper spelling of these cars as I do with other things I don't know well.

Kinda just another time it happened.

Like how many people put the landau bars on the wrong side or even upside down.

Just an observation,
Darren

P.S. John... I had the make, year and plate on there so I know there won't be an issue with it being a Mopar in my case.

Look on the bright side. At least it didn't say 1973 Ghostbusters...

:D

When i check CL for hearses i also type hurst, hears, herse, herst, hearst, hurse. Youd be suprised...

Look on the bright side. At least it didn't say 1973 Ghostbusters...

:D

When i check CL for hearses i also type hurst, hears, herse, herst, hearst, hurse. Youd be suprised...

I do that too!!! I also type funeral coach, and funeral car. i have had some come up as this and not any other listing.

Mike

P.S. John... I had the make, year and plate on there so I know there won't be an issue with it being a Mopar in my case.

Hurst Oldsmobiles are not Mopar, they are GM. I think I made them change it more because I was in one of those moods and just being an ass.
That was long before i found my mechanic now, he would never make that mistake, he is a car guy, but after 20 years he still spells my first name wrong, I hope he never retires!

John wrote:

Hurst Oldsmobiles are not Mopar, they are GM.

I knew that, Duh, I was talking with someone else regarding my old Dodge A100 when I typed that.

I meant to type Olds.

Darren

Ooh, A100... Nice. Well, there is the Hurst Edition of the 1970 Chrysler 300. (Though the gold accent color was a Cadillac color.) Almost bought one and wish I never let it get away. I also search CL for things like "Chrystler." There are oodles of them. I even have a die-cast Prowler with it spelled that way.

After reading Steve's story below, let me add this memory of the Hurst 300's - I saw one about 30 years ago, caught up with the gentleman, and we chatted about it. He was surprised this young kid knew what it was. I always wondered what happened to that car. Kicking myself for not being able to purchase another one that became available 20 years ago, it was just this last year that I learned that two brothers I know here in town were having theirs restored in California. It belonged to their father. Turns out to be the same car and the same man I saw some 30 years ago.

Hey, my 80+ year old mother wants me to get her old grocery-getter '68 GS 400 road-worthy!

Last edited:
Ooh, A100... Nice. Well, there is the Hurst Edition of the 1970 Chrysler 300. (Though the gold accent color was a Cadillac color.) ...
Yes, there really was a "Hurst", and this is it!

70chr_hurst_3s.jpg

Believe it or not, when I was in college, my best friend's grandmother owned one of these. Yes, she really rarely drove it. And yes, we got permission to take it out one day. From a stop sign, we hit 60 in about 5 seconds, and oh man, it was perfectly smooth. It was huge and totally not practical, but it was fun to ride in. I have no idea what happened to it, I'm sure it's still in a garage in PA with maybe 40K miles on it. And no, I'm really not making it up.

all the hot Chryslers and Dodges had Hearst shifters on there 4 speed boxes.
I well remember the root beer brown 70 Challenger my brother in law had.

You often see bumper stickers on regular cars that say...
My other car is a Hearse !

I should make one up for my Hearse that says...
My other car has a Hurst shifter !

:thumb:

Darren

Slight twist

We have a new monument in Patriots Park with a piece of the WTC tower. Someone spelled HEROES wrong on the granite marker (spelled it HEROS).
Now everyone is wondering what to do. I think we need to put more time into grammar in school and less computers. arrrgh

Both of those should be corrected.

They can slice an inch or so off and re-sandblast the wording.

And the person who did the mistake should pay for the rework.

Then everything will be how it should have been to begin with.

Darren

Back