1966 Cadillac Superior Sovereign Tiara

Well, I finally got a hold of a coach I've been after for almost 20 years.

In 1966 the new owners of the Goodwin Funeral Home in Cherokee, OK splurged and bought a brand new combination coach from Gordon K Allen in Dallas, TX. They traded in the fh's "10 or so" year old silver Cadillac coach on the new Gold with Cream colored roof Superior. This was the firms ONLY coach used from 1966 until the funeral home was sold in 2013. The new owners did not want the car because "it would just be in the way." Mrs Goodwin took it home, where it has been in the car port next to her Buick ever since. As of now she has 79,000 original miles. Mrs Goodwin passed away in November and I was able to obtain it from the family. She is a great car, though layered in Oklahoma red dirt that has covered it from blowing in the NW Oklahoma wind. Im retreiving her Sat and the clean up will begin. The 1st photo is from the Steve Loftin archives circa 1990.

Attachments

• 66goodwin1.jpg
    66goodwin1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 733
  • 66goodwin3.jpg
    66goodwin3.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 733
  • 66goodwin4.jpg
    66goodwin4.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 726
  • 66h2.jpg
    66h2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 726
  • 66h3.jpg
    66h3.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 727
  • 66h4.jpg
    66h4.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 727
  • 66h5.jpg
    66h5.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 725
  • 66h13.jpg
    66h13.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 720
Last edited:
well, i finally got a hold of a coach i've been after for almost 20 years.

In 1966 the new owners of the goodwin funeral home in cherokee, ok splurged and bought a brand new combination coach from gordon k allen in dallas, tx. They traded in the fh's "10 or so" year old silver cadillac coach on the new gold with cream colored roof superior. This was the firms only coach used from 1966 until the funeral home was sold in 2013. The new owners did not want the car because "it would just be in the way." mrs goodwin took it home, where it has been in the car port next to her buick ever since. As of now she has 79,000 original miles. Mrs goodwin passed away in november and i was able to obtain it from the family. She is a great car, though layered in oklahoma red dirt that has covered it from blowing in the nw oklahoma wind. Im retreiving her sat and the clean up will begin. The 1st photo is from the steve loftin archives circa 1990.

congratulations!

Congratulations. 1966 was an excellent year for GM styling and gold is the perfect color. I hope that you enjoy. The car's one family history is a gem in itself.

Beautiful Jim!! After that patient wait I am sure you will get much enjoyment. Looking forward to your pics when it is washed up.

Jim,
You might want to take a look at your leaf springs before you run it up on a hoist. You might have some broken springs on the driver's side....... unless there is something REALLY heavy in that removal basket!

Congratulations on getting such a well preserved car. To add to what Kurt mentioned, that vintage of cars also have a problem with the upper control arm bushings wearing out. If you are going to have them replaced, have the lowers also replaced. You would be best off finding a shop that is used to working on vintage cars. The brakes will definitely need to be restored, with rebuilding all wheel cylinders and the master cylinder. If you have a garage, and a jack, you can do that yourself and save a lot of money. I would be happy to help you with coaching on how to tackle some of the basic jobs that it is going to take to getting this car back to running condition. A lot of it isn't that difficult, just time consuming.
If you have access to a pressure washer, that will be the best way to get all that Oklahoma red clay off without damaging the paint. This is what I am now using with my pressure washer.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qpjOR--Zxg[/ame]

Red clay = many vacuum filters or an oneida dust seperator if you aren't into building a Thein seperator for your dust.

Remember to have the vacuum in place and running before you flip on the defrosters.

Trust me!

Red clay=similar to what we called adobe mud in New Mexico. When I removed the front clip and rebuilt the front suspension of my '67 Pontiac twenty five years ago it was amazing how many clods of dried mud came loose once I fired up the impact gun.

+1 on the dust. I had a 67 Pontiac combo I bought from Skip Goulet in Texas. I scrubbed and vacuumed the interior until it was spotless. Drove it a few miles and had to vacuum it again. That went on for months. That fine talcum powder dust was in every nook and crannie.

Back