come on now

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
we jumped into the 70 yesterday needed to pick up some copies I had made up, another one of these nickle and dime runs for a necessary a piece for the 58 and a new valve for the Thomas A in the house. got back home and looked around and realised man it's time to clean this thing out. I haven't washed it since we did the last repaint I have orange dust everywhere pieces of this and that left in the truck from one run or the other. that new type electric siren I though may be I might just put in has been on the seat for 4 months now. been using it to store the extra gurneys. time has come we need to clean house. I did get a few copies of these the owner's manual for the power call and the the service manual for the pa-15 made up before they're gone. been thinking about that for a couple years now. checked the sticker out for the oil change. it was last done in summer of 13. we now have all most 2 thousand miles on the oil. those mile trips down town add up after awhile. my Sturges trip got postponed till monday and Kandy has things to do that day better take it up get the thing serviced and pick up the 20 inch tires the dealer doesn't want and my plating for the 53 and 58. got to do that before it disappears can't get any of that in the GEO even with the top down.

Attachments

• IMG_1157.JPG
    IMG_1157.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_1204.jpg
    IMG_1204.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_1205.jpg
    IMG_1205.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_1207.JPG
    IMG_1207.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 373
Hey!

What a nice looking rig, I would like to own one like that one day. What are all those switches for? Does the cup holder come with the car?

flip lever is the master. it has the jewel light nothing ambulance related will work without it on. top left rear dome top right blower for rear heater. in the line of three first is left sene next corner and grill then the 184. I can't remember if only the beacon turns on the other jewel light or the corner ones do to. far right is right sene. holes in the radio delete for the mike mounts . you can see that this one has the very hard to find cigar lighter blank also.

all the wires for the top and rear lights come up the right pillar. I did give it a bathe today and rub the overspray off the bumper and grill. some guys when they paint get really sloppy. the cup holders are attached to the dash and as far as I can tell they are original first service equipment. I use them a lot. just remember to get the right cup out before you open the glove box

Attachments

• IMG_1241.jpg
    IMG_1241.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 300
Now to get it shipped

Well I put up for bids on U-Ship last night for the Hot Springs to Alliance run and the Alliance to Howell, MI run thinking some enterprising young trucker might want a twofer and give both me and the Michigan buyer, (I will let him identify himself) a bargain. So far one bid and that is only to go to Michigan. Doesn't anybody want to see the USA anymore? It is a straight line practically across the middle of the country. Might have to drive it myself.

It's a beautiful time of the year for a road trip! It's not like it hasn't been driven in a long time! Of course a flight into Rapid City may be about as expensive as having it hauled.

not to bad if you stay off united and do northwest threw the cities that run from Denver up, costs a lot. Hard to get someone to do the dead zone run going in but as this one is going out someone may pick it up.

a lot of money in the surround about 500 bucks without the script and some 600 with. i sent about 2 days straighten this one out enough to use.

To the best of my knowledge it has never been reproduced by anyone WITH the Chevrolet letters. New reproduction grills are blank in the center. Last "NOS" grille I saw for sale in the box was well over $1000. Of course, they sell a sticker kit to make the reproduction ones resemble the original, but it's just not the same as the embossed letters. On top of that, the originals are anodized aluminum, which held up ok until you got a little chip or ding in them, then they started to dull between the clear anodizing and the aluminum surface. People think they can "polish that out", but you can't, it just makes it worse. Only solution is to strip the anodizing off, then polish the aluminum, then polish it every week for the rest of your life.

Oh yeah, did I mention it was a two year only grill? And that they changed the plastic part between '69 and '70? Now you start to see why nice ones cost so much...

they reproduce both today. Brothers has had them for at least a year. xtra for the stamped chevy name. at the time I had this one out your could not get the script. but as it is all washed we used it to go get Mom today for lunch. then ran up into the park. need to drive it some before the run north tomorrow

you ever wonder just how big a hole one of these critters digs. a man can get his leg in one of them

Attachments

• IMG_1258a.jpg
    IMG_1258a.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_1276a.jpg
    IMG_1276a.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_1274.jpg
    IMG_1274.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_1275.jpg
    IMG_1275.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 232
I can imagine folks on horseback would be best advised to not check the scenery but rather watch where their horse is going, would however be hard to concentrate with such breathtaking scenery.

we made another run up to sturges today. I can say the stoner got right at 11.1 MPG at the speed limit and and stiff head wind. one has to wonder just how much better it would drive if I took the studded snow tires off. but had we might still need them east of us. I looked at a couple of 75s today one 69 and a 68 the man wanted 5 for the 69 and 2 for the 68. can you say ruff ruff. got my 20 inch tires back and changed the oil busy day. dropped in to see the folks At Kincade's in sturges. nice people. got out to Bear butt to see if that old superior poncho is still there. didn't see it but this has shown up. did my appointment and came home. put 235 miles on the truck today. I'm hopping something comes of it I going in Wayne's direction. can't feel a thing

Attachments

• IMG_1302.jpg
    IMG_1302.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_1305.jpg
    IMG_1305.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1304.jpg
    IMG_1304.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1306.jpg
    IMG_1306.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1308.jpg
    IMG_1308.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1309.jpg
    IMG_1309.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 181
I have a demountable 185 that goes up there. made it demountable so we could get it in a 7 ft standard garage door. it clears by about a inch maybe two. but to crawl up there and put it on and off takes a do I really want to do this and can I remember to take it off when I get home process. so it normally stays off.

Attachments

• IMG_4474a.jpg
    IMG_4474a.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 157
we made another run up to sturges today. I can say the stoner got right at 11.1 MPG at the speed limit and and stiff head wind. one has to wonder just how much better it would drive if I took the studded snow tires off. but had we might still need them east of us. I looked at a couple of 75s today one 69 and a 68 the man wanted 5 for the 69 and 2 for the 68. can you say ruff ruff. got my 20 inch tires back and changed the oil busy day. dropped in to see the folks At Kincade's in sturges. nice people. got out to Bear butt to see if that old superior poncho is still there. didn't see it but this has shown up. did my appointment and came home. put 235 miles on the truck today. I'm hopping something comes of it I going in Wayne's direction. can't feel a thing

Come on Ed, you post a picture of a 73 ambulance but say nothing about it.:eek:

nothing to say I can't find out who has this stuff and he doesn't want anyone poking around from the sign. it's the same place I posted the pictures of the poncho a few years back. that one sat there since the late 80's. we would drive by it on our way to and from the folks house. when we were living up in Faith working at the chevy garage. we made a couple of friends up there this trip maybe we can find out about who has it. I did learn don't ask the sheriff. there are people that crave to seek out this kind of stuff me I got things to do. and spending a couple days chasing down the owner of a car I'm not going to buy makes no sense to me.
if it comes up I'll hear about it.

I did discover that the 2014 Nissan has the same bolt pattern as the 70 chevy half ton. how about 20 inches on your suburban? we have a brake drum that is out of round on it. discovered that one our run threw the park. so we dropped it off to get turned. I don't remember if I had them do a clean up on them when i got them or not. either way we'll find out tomorrow if it's warped. that chinese cast is not near as good as the mexican stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_1310.jpg
    IMG_1310.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1311.jpg
    IMG_1311.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 125
I have a demountable 185 that goes up there. made it demountable so we could get it in a 7 ft standard garage door. it clears by about a inch maybe two. but to crawl up there and put it on and off takes a do I really want to do this and can I remember to take it off when I get home process. so it normally stays off.

She's a great looking rig, but looks even better with the 184 on her, icing on the cake so to speak. Thanks for the pic Ed!!!

I will agree on that but at the price of them making a mistake one time is a little much. still looking for a 48 or low top ambulance but haven't been able to get my hands on one yet.

got baby back on all 4 today. one of the drums has a low spot in it. it sure stops smoother now

Attachments

• IMG_1320.jpg
    IMG_1320.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1321.jpg
    IMG_1321.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 75
Back