For Sale: 1949 Superior Landaulet Combination Car

Paul Cichon

PCS Member
For Sale: 1949 Superior landaulet style combination car,
an unusual style with very limited production. Superior manufactured 625 of the total of 2,853 professional cars manufactured by all of the professional car builders in 1949. This vehicle is not restored but a very well preserved original that has been refreshed as necessary. I purchased this vehicle in 1990 in Florida. The body was then stripped and painted. The work done has been documented with photographs. Much chrome has been replated. The engine has been rebuilt. The interior of the driver’s compartment has been redone with the exception of the headliner and the door panels. The interior of the casket compartment is about 95% original and nice. As a combination car, it should have a removable attendant seat. The seat is missing, however I recently learned of the location of one which is available for sale. The rear compartment would also have had a removable carpet which snapped in when in use. This carpet is long gone, however the snaps are in place in the floor. The car, known as Morticia, runs and drives very well with her three speed standard transmission and 331ci OHV V8. Having retired from funeral service last year, I believe it is now time to pass her on to another custodian, hopefully in PCS and hopefully so she can continue to be used on occasion for the purpose for which she was built. Please call me at 860-428-7639 (prior to 9:00pm Eastern) for a full description and details. Price $37,500.00. Paul Cichon.

Attachments

• P1020365(1).jpg
    P1020365(1).jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 486
  • P1020367(1).jpg
    P1020367(1).jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 484
  • P1020374(1).jpg
    P1020374(1).jpg
    96 KB · Views: 480
  • P1020380(1).jpg
    P1020380(1).jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 496
  • P1020382(1).jpg
    P1020382(1).jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 497
  • P1020385(1).jpg
    P1020385(1).jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 485
  • P1020386(1).jpg
    P1020386(1).jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 488
Paul would the low mount on the right be for the attendants seat? lovely car. we get together some time I would like to hear your definition of restored.

I have had the privilege of seeing this beautiful car in person. The only way I can describe it is that it is breathtaking. I would love to own this car, but I already have one vehicle and that is enough.
It would cost a lot more to find one and bring it to this level, Good luck with the sale. I hope it gets a good home.

What a shock to see this car for sale knowing how much the owner adores the car.

The car is stunning and well taken care of.

Amazing for almost 70 years old.

Wow,
Darren

Sure looks like a straight end loader to me.

The 1494 model number in the Superior book designates it as a straight endloading hearse also. But the rear heat, mounts for attendant seats, snaps for floor covering point to combo.

Paul, I would be interested in seeing the fixed chair style attendant seat though, I need one for my 49 S&S

Last edited:
While it looks like a very nice car, I have to ask.

"This vehicle is not restored but a very well preserved original that has been refreshed as necessary."

"The body was then stripped and painted. Much chrome has been replated. The engine has been rebuilt. The interior of the driver’s compartment has been redone with the exception of the headliner and the door panels."

With all of that work done, how is it supposed to original and not restored?

I am seeing more and more of this in ads. If it has been redone, then it is not original.

I have seen this car many times, prior to, and after restoration. Concerning the word refreshed, I would personally use the term restored because of the repaint. But it was never a pitiful rust bucket, requiring substantial restoration. Perhaps that's what Paul means, I don't know. It was a very solid car even before restoration. The real car is every bit as nice as the pictures show, also drives to shows. If you want a '49 Superior, this car has no peer. That means.... none better.

I will probably have rocks thrown at me but I agree with Pauls description. Restored from my view is what ED has done to his 58. Body off frame extensive repairs and restoration done. Pauls coach is exactly as he describes it "refreshed" my definition of this (others may not agree) is a vehicle that has never been in bad shape and maintenance done as needed to maintain it in good or excellent condition and show worthy. The vehicle is 66 years old and as such could not be expected to be completely "original" if it were used at all in those 66 years. So we can say "refreshed" or maintained to the highest level either fits and its closer to original than restored. My two cents.

see post #2 it's all in a deflation. one could say I rebuilt Jim's 66 as the original interior was keep with a few repairs on it. nothing mechanical gone threw. to me this car is restored back to it original glory. with everything done to it that need to put it there.

they don't have to be basket cases to get restored. and the description on this one shows it was no basket case but a remarkable surviver that needed refreshed to restore it to front line service when needed.

for any home that would appreciate this car for what it can bring to there busness it's a steel. for member of the club looking for a 40s a turn key car it's a bargain.

most of us can't drop 40Gs on a hobby car at once so that we get one there one dime at a time over years. but if you can swing the payment and take care of it, you would never regret buying this one.

Once again ED and I are on the same page. As far as the cost goes Interest rates are at an all time low see your lender of choice you may be surprised. Like the oil filter guy used to say "Pay me now or pay me later". You can work to bring one back or put this one to work to help pay it off. Think about it!

Vehicle SOLD

My 1949 has been sold to a family owned and operated funeral home and soon to be member of PCS. Thank you.

Back