1970 Superior Pontiac Consort Ambulance $8500 Offer

If the dash says Bonneville, it is a Bonneville........ unless the dash was replaced. That said, it could have either a 400 or a 455. That was the last year that a 400 was available in a Bonneville.

If you post a picture of the data plate that is under the hood, that will give more information than the VIN. The data plate was affixed by Fisher Body when the body was built. The VIN was affixed by GM on the assembly line.

Quite frankly, I am very interested in the car. I have always admired it from afar and have spoken with Bill about it, albeit months ago when he was in limbo about selling it, if I recall correctly. From our very pleasant discussion, I know he has done a lot to the car. However, the timing couldn't be worse for me: 1) I have a daughter getting married in the next two months (mostly anticipated and prepared for expenses) and 2) the tenants moved out of our rental house leaving quite a bit of repair work to be done before we could rent it again (wholly unexpected and larger than anticipated expenses). And that folks, is life. Maybe someday, Bill, but not today. Hopefully you will find someone that will treasure it as you have.

Its Funny!

I had actually made a verbal deal to sell the ambulance to a former PCS member, whom I will not name. So, I had told him all about the defects, etc and we agreed on a price, he was very interested. Although he never saw the car, he called me today and said he had changed his mind. I was actually not disappointed at the news, I felt happy. So, I guess we will keep it and maybe do some more improvements to it, maybe even bring it to the 2020 International Meet! We shall see.

Thanks for indulging me.

I thought it was a Catalina, but it says Bonneville on the dash. As for the VIN, it does not decode properly in my book, it reads 262400P in the part of the VIN
that tells you the important stuff. As for badging, this is the way I received it.

Bill, the 1970 Pontiac VIN does not break down much information. the thirteen character VIN goes: First digit 2=Pontiac Motor Division, Second and third 62=Bonneville,Fourth and fifth is what throws me, station wagons were either a 36 designation (six passenger) or 46 (nine passenger), there were 36 series in the lower (Catalina,Executive) models but the Bonnevilles were all designated 46 series. But I wonder if the VIN shows 40 it may have been a special designation that eliminated the second and third row seating for the coachbuilders. Would not be the first time a special VIN was used for a sub model, the 1966 2+2 full size car had a special VIN due to a Fisher Body change in the rear quarter panels adding three vertical stamped louvers. Pontiac did not have a commercial chassis like Cadillac did, closest thing was the Stageway designation for the airport limos that was in the parts catalogs.

The next digit 0=designates the last digit of the model year, here being 1970. The next space, a letter designates the production plant, in this case P=Pontiac Assembly. The next 6 digits are the sequential production number, each plant started at 100001 and went from there. Later years VIN formats changed, 72 the engine shows up in the VIN.

I suspect that car is a 400 CID. Let's decode it. Face the front of the engine, to the left of the timing cover adjacent on a flat surface below the cylinder head, part of the VIN will be on one line, the other line will have a two letter code, this is what you are looking for. (there were 350 CID engines but that was definitely not in Bonnevilles) Code WE/YB/YD/YZ designates 400 CID while WG/YH/XF designate 455 CID. Of course this is only good if the original engine is still under the hood. Pontiac was pretty proud of their engine displacement and normally when the larger CID was installed there was special badges attached for example 1965-6 421, 1967-8 428 and 1970 455.

Pontiac Historical Services can document the car and how it was built. This service is owned by a friend. Information here:http://www.phs-online.com/
There is a charge for this service but invaluable information is available here.

Like Paul said the Fisher Body tag on the cowl under the hood will also tell a lot more information.

Sorry for long winded but this was the only way I could explain it.

Last edited:
Back For Sale

I have decided that the time has come to sell this ambulance. Just in case you have been thinking about it, now would be a good time to call me and we could discuss the car in detail, although that probably is not necessary, considering that I have described everything about this car in these forums. Now is your chance to be the next caretaker of this rare professional car.

Sold!

This ambulance has been sold to a new/old PCS member from upstate New York. The car has not been transported yet, but hopefully early next week. I hope the new owner will take this car to an even higher level and I wish him much enjoyment. Hopefully, the new owner will introduce himself to everyone soon.

Back