A casket crank can be handy

Was working on something other day and needed something to pry with and all I could find handy was a batesville casket crank. It worked great and I thought what all could these be used for but not everyone has them laying all over the house like some of us do. Funny huh? :D

Speaking of a casket Crank ....are they also known as a Casket Key ? and what are they used for ? my guess to lock down the lid ????

Mike, you are right on! It is used to lock the lid down on the casket, most of the time against a water-resistant gasket.

The are "CASKET KEYS" not cranks. We crank a model T, we secure a casket with a key. They are also used to edjust the beds on caskets with adjustable beds.

Gasket ??

Mike, you are right on! It is used to lock the lid down on the casket, most of the time against a water-resistant gasket.

I am not to well versed in this area......may be a dumb question,....but WHY does there need to be a "water-resistant gasket" or for that matter ANY gasket at all ??

A gasket on a sealer-type casket helps resist water from entering the casket and exposing the deceased to water. It gives the family peace of mind that their loved one's body is protected. A sealer-type burial vault does the same thing.

The are "CASKET KEYS" not cranks. We crank a model T, we secure a casket with a key. They are also used to edjust the beds on caskets with adjustable beds.

You are technically correct Bill, we just use different words in the south for some things. Kinda like the english using words like cookies, which are not cookies. I worked for an english company for ten years and had to learn several new word meanings.

You are technically correct Bill, we just use different words in the south for some things. Kinda like the english using words like cookies, which are not cookies. I worked for an english company for ten years and had to learn several new word meanings.
Cranks,,,,keys,,,,,,
cookies,bonnets,windscreens......
Its all GREEK to me !!!:rolleyes:

casket key

I heard a funeral director giving an explanation to someone about the gasket on the casket (seal). I think he called it burpable; so when the air pressure builds up inside (obvious reasons) the seal will allow some air out; but not in.
I was also told there are no seals on wooden caskets because the wood is eventually going to warp anyway. The "key" locks each half of the lid in that case, where the metal have more of a cranking mechanism controlled from the foot end.

Danny, Bill

I think they should be called a KEY for the reason of them LOCKING the lid.

Here are some observations:

LOOKS much more like a CRANK than a key.
WORKS much more like a CRANK than a key.

You crank over a vintage motorcycle with a crank that looks real close to a casket key

You crank over a vintage car with a crank that looks real close to a casket key.

Maybe it really should be called a casket crank ! ...as you crank the key over and over until the casket seals.

Regarding English words with different meanings... YES there are many !

Crisps = Chips
Chips = Fries
I'm sure glad I only speak Canadian !!!

Darren

So Bill settle something my Friend Marjorie said the Key was for lowering the bed in the casket so the body lays lower in the casket ( a guess on her part ) and I said it was to lock the lid ...whos' right ? :argue:

You both are. They casket key/crank does both. Usually before a casket is shipped by air the matress is lowered further down in the casket so there isn't as much of a chance of the body moving inside.

So Bill settle something my Friend Marjorie said the Key was for lowering the bed in the casket so the body lays lower in the casket ( a guess on her part ) and I said it was to lock the lid ...whos' right ? :argue:

Only the cheapest caskets usually don't have adjustable beds. The Key or crank is used to turn a mechanism under the mattress for up and down or tilt from front to back to better position the body for viewing.

Back