Future of rear drive GM sedans?

John Burchfield

PCS Life Member
http://www.wwj.com/pages/5366164.php

I received this link from a friend today. Just when it looked like we're reaching the end of large rear drive sedans in this country the Holden Commodore from Australia will continue in another American version! I don't know if this has any relevance to the next platform for professional cars, but I know many of us are fans of big RWD sedans.

John,
Thanks for starting this thread.

USAToday has a write-up, including a few pictures....
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2009/10/68500318/1

"GM says the Caprice police car, built on one of its Australian rear-wheel-drive platforms, has been specifically adapted for police duty. The cars will have high-output alternators to handle the lights and radio and heavy-duty suspension and components. Caprice won't be sold in a civilian version. Caprice will have a monster 6-liter V-8 engine. For fuel savings, there will be an optional V-6 by 2012."

Pat

Outlook for future Cadillac procars pretty dim

I don't know if this has any relevance to the next platform for professional cars, but I know many of us are fans of big RWD sedans.

The Cadillac XTS will be the replacement for the DTS. It's a smaller chassis than the DTS. It will have a V6 engine. Probably not a chassis which will be appealing to the hearse and limo builders. Take a look at the 2010 Buick Lacrosse. This is the chassis the XTS will be built on. The XTS will have a slightly wider and longer wheelbase than the Lacrosse.

The 2010 LaCrosse is a front drive car. Will this new XTS also be front drive? The LaCrosse looks like a Hyundai from the rear! It's probably built off the same platform as the Malibu.

Narrow caskets only please

The 2010 LaCrosse is a front drive car. Will this new XTS also be front drive? The LaCrosse looks like a Hyundai from the rear! It's probably built off the same platform as the Malibu.

Yes, the XTS will be front-drive. It will be built in a factory in Oshawa, Ontario. The next version of the Chevy Impala will also be built in the same factory. The Impala and XTS will share a similar chassis.

Maybe the new XTS chassis can be utilized as a hearse if US funeral directors are able convince their customers to purchase narrow European style caskets.;)

Maybe the new XTS chassis can be utilized as a hearse if US funeral directors are able convince their customers to purchase narrow European style caskets.;)

and what lay them in it sideways. all I can see is a end to the car base hearse. just like the ambulance they will have to go to the truck line to get a rig they can stretch and still last long enough for the warranty to expire. or they will have to build there own complete rear platform and tack on the caddy Buick Chevy front end. they may have to beef up the transmission to handle the extra load but it would be a real doable thing to just make the back half completely and tack on the front doors up. they could then go back to leaf springs and have the room they needed. do the 6 passenger thing or make a short one. the testing would be the big draw back to remaking the car. but the costume boys have been doing this vary thing for a long time with any front wheel drive car. w have all see camper trailers marred to the caddy olds FWD front clip.

I can see where older hearses are going to be going up in value, and a new emerging business will be the refurbishing of the older vehicles.. I remember in the 1980's when pick up truck prices started to climb drastically, there was a company that was "re manufacturing" Chevy pick up trucks, with a complete tear down and every component checked and replaced if needed. The price was steep, but a lot less than the cost of a new truck. With the volume that they were doing, they could give a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty on the complete rebuild. When you got your truck back, it looked showroom new inside and out. The only thing that they didn't change back to new condition was the odometer reading. With our baby boomer population aging, and the popularity of older classic cars, it might just be better accepted than you might believe, for a funeral home to be using a 10/20/ or even a 30 year old vehicle. Take a look around at all the homes that already have an older vehicle just for these clients...

Ford Taurus police package?

For years Ford has been issuing "warnings" that they are making RWD full size cars for just one more year. From the popular Crown Vic to the Lincoln Town Car. It looks like Ford's offering with a police package will eventually be the Taurus. Alas.
Kevin

I can see where older hearses are going to be going up in value, and a new emerging business will be the refurbishing of the older vehicles.. I remember in the 1980's when pick up truck prices started to climb drastically, there was a company that was "re manufacturing" Chevy pick up trucks, with a complete tear down and every component checked and replaced if needed. The price was steep, but a lot less than the cost of a new truck. With the volume that they were doing, they could give a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty on the complete rebuild. When you got your truck back, it looked showroom new inside and out. The only thing that they didn't change back to new condition was the odometer reading. With our baby boomer population aging, and the popularity of older classic cars, it might just be better accepted than you might believe, for a funeral home to be using a 10/20/ or even a 30 year old vehicle. Take a look around at all the homes that already have an older vehicle just for these clients...

This was also the case with the Chevrolet 9C1 police package cars after the RWD B body was discontinued in '96. There was a company nearby that refurbished/remanufactured these cars for police agencies. All new suspension components, new engines, remanufactured transmissions, etc. That was great until body rust and I imagine body fatigue started to occur.
The Ford police packages, at least for the '97 m/y were very underwelming to say the least.

I did a couple of ridealongs with my local PD at that time. The Caprices would whip the Crown Vics to pieces in pure acceleration. Comfort and room in the Fords also left a lot to be desired. I could never understand why Ford would not install the Mercury 5.4L that was in the Marauder in place of the 4.6L in the Vics.

This was also the case with the Chevrolet 9C1 police package cars after the RWD B body was discontinued in '96. There was a company nearby that refurbished/remanufactured these cars for police agencies. All new suspension components, new engines, remanufactured transmissions, etc. That was great until body rust and I imagine body fatigue started to occur.
The Ford police packages, at least for the '97 m/y were very underwelming to say the least.

I did a couple of ridealongs with my local PD at that time. The Caprices would whip the Crown Vics to pieces in pure acceleration. Comfort and room in the Fords also left a lot to be desired. I could never understand why Ford would not install the Mercury 5.4L that was in the Marauder in place of the 4.6L in the Vics.

Actually Joe, the 2003-04 Mercury Marauders have a 32valve all aluminum version of the 4.6L V8 that if memory serves me correctly, was also used in the '02 Mustang SVT Cobra. That engine is rated at 302hp which some car magazines thought was a bit conservative. The Florida Highway Patrol had a small fleet of Marauders-don't know if any of them are still in service or not. There is also a company in L.A. that refurbishes 9C1 Caprice cars. Most police officers seem to prefer the Caprices to the Crown Vics, but with the last model year of Caprices being '96 there is a dwindling supply as age and the elements take their toll. With the CV being in its 13th year of production in its current form, there are simply thousands more of these cars around than Caprices.

Attachments

• 6a00d83451b46269e20120a613e7d9970c-800wi.jpg
    6a00d83451b46269e20120a613e7d9970c-800wi.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 6a00d83451b46269e20120a5bd4258970b-800wi.jpg
    6a00d83451b46269e20120a5bd4258970b-800wi.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 41
  • FHP_Burg_Marauder1.jpg
    FHP_Burg_Marauder1.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 56
We had a '95 Chevy Caprice police package as the chief's car, and later utility car, at my firehouse. Man, that thing was fast! Other than the broken front seat (our fire chief at the time was a very big man in our town, in more ways than one:eek:), it was very comfortable and we didn't have any problems with it. I'm sorry it's gone - though it's still in service with a smaller fire department in the next county.

Yes, those '94-'96 Caprices w/ the 350 LT-1 were fast! I had a '95 for about a year, ex-NJ detective car w 66k miles. I reluctantly sold it because another car was in the works! It had a very smooth ride for a police package car but handled well. This car was probably the rarest color of that year (though I've seen a late model DTS in almost the same color!): "purple pearl"

Attachments

• IMG_0834_1_1.jpg
    IMG_0834_1_1.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0853_1_1.jpg
    IMG_0853_1_1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 38
Back