CC wheels for my '59

I am in need of two wheels for my '59. The place I took a tire to be mounted a rim on accidentally let one of my correct rims take a trip to the scrap yard. I now only have 3 rims that are correct for the car. So I am in need of one to put on the car and one as a spare. Anyone have a couple handy I could purchase???

I would tell the tire store to go to the scrap yard and find it. Getting CC wheels for a 1959 aren't going to be cheap, and they are heavy, so shipping is also going to be expensive.

Oh believe me, I gave them the third degree when they told me that. I tried to retrieve the wheel but it had already gone to heaven sadly. I know it won't be cheap, but I don't want to have a restored car that only has 3 wheel covers because one rim isn't rated for the weight and doesn't have a large enough lip for the wheel cover to go on.

I have been looking for one for a year!!!

They are not easy to find. Last one I got cost me 150.00 plus 40.00 shipping from a guy in Arizona.

They are not easy to find. Last one I got cost me 150.00 plus 40.00 shipping from a guy in Arizona.

One reason that they are hard to find, and expensive, is that 1959 & 1960
are the only ones that interchange with each other. They are different than the 1958 and down wheels, and are also different than the 1961 and up wheels. What the specific difference is, I can't say, because that information isn't listed in the book that I referenced this information from.
Paul

59 and 60 have a star pattern in addition to being welded and riveted, regualar cars just have welded rims. 61 and newer dont have the star pattern.

Rims

They are different than the 1958 and down wheels, and are also different than the 1961 and up wheels. What the specific difference is, I can't say, because that information isn't listed in the book that I referenced this information from.
Paul

Pic of a rim that is the same on my 61 and 62. I would think at least 61-62 would work?

Attachments

• DSC05905.jpg
    DSC05905.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 494
  • DSC05939.jpg
    DSC05939.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 507
:wwpics:

a little help here in what we are looking for might be in order. I'm understanding what you are saying on the reversed rim. large prongs on the hubcap. but a shot of a 59 - 60 wheel so I can tell the difference would help. might have rolled a number of them over the hill as who wants one of those back wards caddy wheels anyway. now I'm not going to get into the OMG side of things but a stock two rivet wheel will hold the back side up just as easily as the 3 riveted one. you not carrying a load and your not doing high speed chases. they are rated better then the tires you putting on it anyway. just don't mix and match. put the same style wheel on the same axle and drive it like you want to keep it.

The differences I see are:

The star pattern on the 59-60 verses the 5 bumps on the 61-62
in the bolt circle

The center has 4 see-through slots on the 61-62 rim
No slots on the 59-60 rim - completely sealed all the way around

4 sets of 3 Rivets are visible on BOTH rims from the FRONT !

Darren

P.S. I have a 60 and 62 I will photograph as well next time I am at the cars.
Likely in 4 days from now.

Nick

Can you take a photo straight on like the one Daniel took in his second photo of the 61 ? A little further back so we can see the whole rim.

I'm looking for the small drilled hole near the bolt circle like the one in Daniels photo. Can't see it in your photo. Could be in the part we can't see.

Thanks,
Darren

3 of my rims look like Nicholas', and the one that went to wheel heaven was the '61-'62. The other rim I have looks to be just a standard rim, and the lip is too short, much like one that's on the car right now.

Dangit Danny, don't joke like that! I stopped reading after you said last week and had to walk away before hurt my computer before coming back and rereading the post...

I'm chasing a pair of these as well for my 60 MM. Can we just confirm if standard Cadillac sedan/coupe wheels are a suitable replacement? Like John said earlier, we're not flogging these ambulances like they did when they were new and in service. The load on the wheels won't be too extreme.

The wheels will bolt on, since the bolt pattern is the same, however, the commercial chassis wheel is a heavier steel, and has steel rivets reinforcing the center web to the outer rim. Rims are similar to tires, as to the weight rating, and as such, they should be replaced with like kind and quality. Most of us install Extra Load rated tires on our vehicle, because of the weight of the vehicle. Just think of the wheel as an extra load wheel. A standard Cadillac wheel will fit, and a standard load tire will go on the rim, but will the rim or the tire fail under the weight of the vehicle. No one know for certain, but just like so many things in life, you take your chances, and the consequences of the decision you make you own. I wouldn't do it, nor would I advise anyone else to do it.

'59/'60 C.C. Rims

I just purchased 2 of these rims and was going to post asking what they fit. I found them on a '57 Fleetwood and I knew that they were not the stock '57/'58 Caddy rims, which are riveted on the inside. I have not gotten them home yet, but will in the next couple of weeks. I don't need them for any of my cars and will offer them for sale.
Kurt

Back