Old Towne Car Cruise

Run hot or not

• yes

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • no

Votes: 22 84.6%

• Total voters
Took the Lifeliner to the Old Towne Cruise night in Kissimmee last night. Not as large as it used to be. At 8:30 they line the cars up to do an actual cruise through their little downtown area. Small but the highlight of the night.

So let me get your thoughts on why I was kicked out and asked to NEVER return. The last time the ambulance was there I was asked to be the lead cruise car and make sure I had my lights and sirens on. This time things changed. As I registered no one mentioned anything about no lights/sirens. I turned them on while parking and occasionally upon requests from fans. When we lined up for the cruise I turned them on and proceeded to the line-up. I get lined up and were starting to go when one of them came over and said management said NO lights and sirens. I told him I came here just for this and drove 75 miles to get here and if I can't run hot then let me out of the line-up. Too late for that. So upon the crowds request I lit her up anyways. Crowd loved it. I now have several of them yelling at me to turn them off or I would be kicked out. I said, "Too late for that there is no way to get out of the line-up". So I ran hot through the cruise and left with them yelling for me to NEVER come back.

Is this something you would have done or should I have turned them off. Seems they had plenty of time to inform me I could not run hot prior to the incident. Anyways, the Lifeliner is no longer welcomed at Old Towne cruise in.

Attachments

• ot7.jpg
    ot7.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 243
  • ot6.jpg
    ot6.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 239
  • ot4.jpg
    ot4.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 240
  • ot3.jpg
    ot3.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 237
  • ot2.jpg
    ot2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 238
  • ot1.jpg
    ot1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 239
to me it lights and a bip or two now and then. you and everyone else is there to have fun and lets face it the Q wound up at 3 mph is not fun if your in front of it for 20 minuets. I have one of the 5 inch mechanical ones on the 72 under the hood it works nice for effect with out driving people away. I understand no siren but why no lights?

but I take it you didn't really want to go next year anyway

Don't go back, since they clearly don't want you to attend. I abide by the wishes of the host, and if they say no lights or siren, then they stay off. I also don't go back the next year. I don't go where I am not welcome, nor do I stay where I am not comfortable. I also don't understand why you just couldn't have broken ranks, and drove off and gone home.

Don't go back, since they clearly don't want you to attend. I abide by the wishes of the host, and if they say no lights or siren, then they stay off. I also don't go back the next year. I don't go where I am not welcome, nor do I stay where I am not comfortable. I also don't understand why you just couldn't have broken ranks, and drove off and gone home.

Couldn't break ranks since once in the line-up there are no escape routes. Rest assured I will not be back!

Richard are you more mad they asked you not to run lights and sirens, or that they asked you not to come back?

If memory serves sirens are no longer allowed at PCS events anymore either.

How would people feel if someone ignored the rules at a PCS event?

Maybe people complained last year, not everyone appreciates multiple sirens winding up out of one vehicle in a slow moving parade of vehicles as much as we do. I know you said “crowd loved it”...did you take a poll?

And did you just tap it here and there, or wind them up? And how many sirens were running at a time?

Don’t get me wrong it’s too bad they ruined your fun, but I can see both sides.

I always do as I am asked. You might say that I try to follow the rules and I try to be mindful of the people around me. Obviously, if they ask for lights and siren, we will try to make them happy. However, I find that most parades and shows run smoother without sirens. A quick tap of the siren button for effect, is perhaps another matter.

As for PCS Meets doing away with the sounds at the "Light & Sound" part of the Meet, I have long supported the idea of lights only. We had a couple of instances where the sirens screamed until the police came, specifically Chicago in 1998. Screaming sirens have their place, but not if they scare someone.

In a nutshell, you can't go wrong by following the rules. If we want respect for our cars and our hobby, not to mention our members, then we must always give respect to others and their events, first and foremost.

From the sound of it it would seem there were noise complaints and perhaps there were Snowflakes present who were uncomfortable with an Ambulance. To them it probably represents suffering. I completely agree that #! the promotors should have said on arrival no lights and siren. #2 If it were me based on what you say I would have stayed off the siren but I would have lit her up. I am sure all of the rodders there did not stay off rapping their pipes. Now if you are allowed to by your employer next time I would go with a hearse quiet and NO lights just what they want. To quote my grandmother "Don't let the bastards wear you down. Your turn will come".

let's get serious........

What if there was an antique fire truck parade, and the organizers said, "No Red Lights or Sirens, please?"

I can't imagine the reactions to that.........but the cry-babies may be offended by an ambulance...........until THEY need one themselves.

Any rule about a 5 horsepower Sterling Horizontal on a trailer?

You'll need a cord and 3Ø power.

Any rules about underhood stereo, I always enjoy playing Ride of the Valcheri at 100 watts per side.

Dan,
I agree with you. What if you had a Fire Truck and fans ask to see & hear the lights and sirens?
Why is it not the same for other historical life saving equipment?
Just my 2 cents.

Ok perhaps I overreacted and should have done as ask. Now, I didn't see an official response to "No sirens" allowed at PCS events anymore.
Is this true, did I miss something?

Does not stop me from attending Detroit but seems odd that PCS would implement this with all the excitement generated at PCS events with lights and sirens. I agree the sirens can be a bit loud but except for a few (I mean a very few) people always like it always being mindful of babies and children in the crowd though.

So no sirens allowed at PCS events anymore then....

Sounds like maybe the show came under new management and nothing was communicated in the hand off. Sometimes I wish my combo had a small siren, but my little blinky light is enough I suppose.

We so rarely get an opportunity to use our lights/sirens though its unfortunate, since i've assumed its illegal to just run them on city streets unless your in a parade, etc.

Long ago 1988 (dark ages) the PCS national meet was held in Lambertville NJ and I remember being shocked at the city Fathers telling us NO SIRENS a first at the time if memory serves me. That was 30 years ago. Now PC and Snowflakes reign supreme. (watch your restroom signs)

Long ago 1988 (dark ages) the PCS national meet was held in Lambertville NJ and I remember being shocked at the city Fathers telling us NO SIRENS a first at the time if memory serves me. That was 30 years ago. Now PC and Snowflakes reign supreme. (watch your restroom signs)

I guess the only place you can legally run lights and sirens will be on city streets in a parade. Guess that will be the only time the "Q" will get its exercise (yeah right).

As one of the hosts of the 2012 PCS Conference held in Daytona Beach we were allowed to light them up for 5 minutes but could not activate the sirens. City refused to allow.
:D

Blake I have a small siren you can have. But the no siren rules at meets are rules of the host hotel. Not the PCS.

I ran hot to many times to have the thrill of sitting still making noise a make or brake my going to a meet or not. But yes it's a fun way to close the meet. so is a light parade. But one again it would be at the discretion of the host. Who if this year decided to change or set new rules should have informed people up front.

When we had the meet in Albany, I headed out of the parking lot, and didn't realize that the roof lights were illuminated, until I pulled into the gas station down the block. Turned them off, and didn't get caught. This was the second time that the car was on the road, with the lights illuminated. The first time, I was taking the car to the paint mixing store, and stopped in traffic. A state trooper walked up to the car, and asked if I was on an emergency call. I stated that the car was retired, and he told me that the tunnel lights were flashing. I checked the switch, and it was in the off position. Got out, pulled the fuse, and the officer looked over the car, and said that I was free to proceed. If you make a mistake, and are polite, your chances of getting a pass are greatly improved.

The first time, I was taking the car to the paint mixing store, and stopped in traffic. A state trooper walked up to the car, and asked if I was on an emergency call. I stated that the car was retired, and he told me that the tunnel lights were flashing.

Now that is funny no matter how you look at it....

That sucks for you. I'm sure you were just trying to have a good time. I know the one thing I'm looking forward to the most is to tap my sirens and lights during the cruise at the Atlantic nationals. I would not go back if they are being difficult.

Back