time to kill

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
Kandy had a appointment with here eye Dr today and I need u bolts for the 67 project so we ducked out of town early hoping that I could get them made today. I did not know they would make them as you waited. so picked up 4 of them and some spring bolts. as mine is vary rusty. everthig was good except the 3/8 sprig bolts will not go in a 5/16 hole I should have checked just so happy to get the u bolts made up and as I handed the man my old spring bolt. oh will he most likely did not have any either I have found out that there as scare as hens teeth. you discover strange stuff on a pro car.

so now what we got about 3 hr to kill on a snow day in Rapid. so we visited the Game fish and parks new center I have been wanting to see it. were it will not be on any scheduled tour in your free time you might want to pop over. or take the skyline drive up to dinosaur park. a number of cement statures built in the WPA days to ride along today go here http://www.dropshots.com/jer57747/date/2017-04-25/07:18:41

Attachments

• IMG_6763.jpg
    IMG_6763.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_6768.jpg
    IMG_6768.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_6784.jpg
    IMG_6784.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_6762.jpg
    IMG_6762.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 258
Counter guys in spring shops always give you at least 1 incorrect part. It's in the genetics of the people who work in spring shops.

Remember to dip the male threads in used motor oil before putting the nuts on, and retorque the nuts after 100 miles of driving.

Worst case, use a Grade 5 hex head. Grind the corners off the head before you assemble the pack, so it fits the cavity.

Remember, the center bolt is only there for alignment, and do not attempt using the center bolt to draw the pack up. If you don't have a stacking vise a hydraulic press works well, or even a pair of clamps.

Once the U bolts are drawn up the center bolt does nothing, unless a U bolt falls off.

Don't use a grade 8, it's too damn brittle and can let go if the pack is dropped on a concrete floor.

In and done before I posted. We just used the original center bolt. But I did find the 5/16 on both Amazon and e-bay. None at Rock auto. No need to wait. but the new ones will be on the wall if I ever have to do this again.

Back