'69 Imp

You are correct the front sheet metal and sub frame are Imperial only. Long ago 1970 to be exact I bought a total 70 Imperial. I had done a Dukes of Hazzerd off an expressway landed so hard it was bent in a U. The sub frame had torn out of the floor where bolted on both front fenders were bent upwards. Nothing else was damaged. The body man I had at the times only comment was WOW!!. We broke the car in half repaired and reinforced the floor where the sub frame bolted on. Put the frame back two new fenders (you could not find yard fenders as so few Imperials sold) and BOY did Chrysler charge for the fenders. When done it was a gold and black beauty. But compared to the FURY cop cars we had so many of it wallowed down the road like a fat lady in a bath tub. We sold it to an older gentleman who was forever scraping it on his garage door.

I just love everything about the '69 Imps. Sequential turn signals(only year for them), "fish gill" cornering lamps, etc. Love the small back glass, but they did not like sitting outside and they would rust out around that back glass fairly quickly, from moisture getting under the vinyl. I purchased the '69 LeBaron that I still own from the estate of the original owner. I took it out of the garage where it was delivered to when new. 69,000 miles on it now.

Attachments

• '69 Imperial 005.jpg
    '69 Imperial 005.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 246
I really like those big land yachts. The coupe is a really good looking car, but I am really attracted to your car Kurt, somehow the four door seems more Imperial to me. When I first became a car dealer in 1976, we used to buy these cars and they really bring back good memories for me!

I had a beautiful, triple black '72 LeBaron 4-door hdtp in the early '80s. Believe it or not, it was an Arizona car. It had factory front & rear A.C.

How much body difference is there between a 68 Imperial and a 68 Fury 3?

I know where a Fury 3 has been sitting on jackstands in a garage since 81. Sweet riding fast machine back when it was on the road, 1 owner since new, and still wearing original paint.
A family of 4 could live in that monster.

68 is pre fuselodge body the 68 body dates back to if my memory is working to 65 a nice big car but much more squared off. The 440 cop car was quick but the Fords of the era showed them up handling and maintenance wise. One township had a fleet of 12 68 Fury Ones with (yes believe it) 225 six cylinder sticks. We bought them all talk about a tough sell! The best feature of the 69 to 73 Imperials was they had VENT WIDOWS Chrysler dropped them on the other similar bodied cars after 1970. I think they might have been an option in 71 on Dodges. Philadelphia bought Fords in 65 and 67 and Plymouths in 66. The Plymouths were 225 six automatics motor and trans fine the rest of the car fell apart. Philadelphia then did Fords through 70. The exception was 1970 they bought some 1970 Newport wagons 440 police package 9 pass. WOW!!! what cars fast!!!! Handled great and ROOM. The sound from the pipes was beyond cool. Needless to say they served on the expressways. Street patrol they would have been putting spark plugs in every three days. The 440s of the era did not like street patrol.

I have no true knowledge of Imperial values, but I believe $7500 would be a very decent price for a coupe.

Yes, it is. The '69-'71 "fuselage body" Imperials are probably more sought-after today than the '64-'68 Imperials, simply because so few of them survived. This yellow coupe, with the options that it has, should do very well! I love the optional high-back bucket seats in this one!

'66 was the first year for the 440 and the last year for the full-frame construction on the Imperial line. '67 was the first year of Uni-body construction for the Imperial line. All other Chrysler products went to Uni-body in 1960.

Sold! $11,550.

I guess that I did OK when I bought my '69 LeBaron from the estate of the original owner for $1000!

Back