Is "restored" the right word here

Restored? No. Updated & refurbished, yes. I see far too many people using the word restored, when in fact they just had a coat of paint put on a car or the seats reupholstered. I think this is a pretty neat modified limo regardless of what they are calling it.

I dig the car. Looks great from the outside. Nice conversion.
Not sure about the interior. Not my choice anyway.

Restored ?

When you restore a car, you redo everything, the interior/body/engine/etc to a like new condition as it was originally produced and sold.

When you fix up or repaint a car is is not considered a restored car.
Just a upgraded car of those parts requiring repair, repainting, etc.

When you alter the cars interior/body/engine/etc from its original condition, it becomes a custom car. May still have most of it originality, but it is a modified car. Possible to restore it to original condition with the altered parts replaced with original parts.

If you had, bought or made your own customized car at some point, drove it for however long and it got worn or rusted, and you restored it back to its original customized appearance, it would still be considered a restoration of a modified custom car.

Over restored cars are those that were restored to a better than new condition. Paint that was cut and polished, parts that were chrome plated instead of just plain steel or painted, etc.

Quality of work and final condition varies quite a bit as well.

Examples of restored cars in my opinion are John and Patti's 1939 S/S
and Dan's 1959 S/S.

Cars that have had everything renewed or restored to a like new condition.

Not just a paint job or a new interior... but every part of the car renewed... including engine and attaching parts, chrome, drive train, chassis, etc.

These cars may even have better than new paint and chrome plating.

My thoughts on what a restored car is.

Darren

what your trying to say is this car has been rebuilt. not to say it's not better then it was to start out with. or is it, your taste may vary. it's be rebuilt into something no other manufactures put out in 63-4 did not look at close. restored is to bring it back in the same condition as it left the plant. in most cases all of our cars are over restored. me I don't like J seaters no matter how they are done.

Back