'73 C-B Cottington Combo

I think the seller is using the "near frame-off restoration" reference pretty loosely, based on the amount of overspray that jumps out in the photos and the sheet of brown vinyl that is loosely stretched over the front seat!

:thumbsdown:

This is nothing but a poorly done--and misrepresented--"clown car" (with apologies to all legitimate clowns).

It's too bad that this was done as it would be beautiful as just a Cottington combo! I would love to own one.

will it's a start. I always wounder why you pull a engine with 3600 gran on it and over haul it. but people do those kind of things. depending on his reserve it would look OK in my yard, not my must have year but I would have it. one heck of a job on the door jams and hinges. one point most often forgotten about but why not do the engine bay if it was pulled? a lot of equipment in it and some stuff would fall off as it when in the garage for sure. but I have seen more stuff on the out side of one.

I don't see this as being a good job on the door jamps at all. Their is over-spray everywhere, paint on the sil plates, etc.

You sorta hate to think whats under everything not pulled off. Looks like seller had lots of good ideas but pulled them off badly. Paint work looks like what you got for $39.95 at Earl Sheibs in the 60s.They never charged you for painting the edges of the seats. The equipment assembledge is great. Seat yucch. The world seems to be changing and I will bet this does good money inspite if itself. Not a 50 footer perhaps a 75 footer. I am with Ed what need would there be to rebuild the engine with 36k those 455 Olds engines were great. This unit should have the good 4 speed trans that held up well not the three speed "slim jim" of the 88s.

Last edited:
That one picture that looks like over spray is really the reflection on the divider. I would hate to think what they have tied up in extra. Things attached to this body. And the stuff inside. But this is not the only over kill rig I have seen. The filler on the rust hole and the shape of the engine bay show the quick job done. Or some rust showed up after being painted and a hasty patch made ,But the attention to detail in other places showed some thought of curb appeal. As I said it would all depend on reserve price. But us tire kickers with no attention of buying can not pick all we want. What I see the most is the chore of filling holes to get my Ida of a decent car.

Granted, it might be overdone with accessories and no doubt, most of us would do it differently. I also agree that a 36K mile 455 and 400 trans, really shouldn't need rebuilding. But, I think for a 45 year old professional car in this price range, it is still respectable and worthwhile. I am a fan of the 71 through 76 Olds Ninety Eights, they were great cars in the day and they still are, at least in my opinion. I actually like this car, flaws and all!

will it could have had 36 showing. they are a great car parts easily gotten over the counter and a joy to drive. I have owned 2 72s and a 75. I would love to have a 75 with a 74 noise. that would combined my two most liked front end and back end

I'm betting this is not a 36K mile car. My guess is that it had more than that when Sawyer's (Belleville, IL) bought it.

Yes, I think it might be 136K. Knowing those engines fairly well though, even at 136K miles, it would only need rebuilding if it was abused, badly overheated, or run out of oil. In any event, the mileage, or the reasons why the engine was rebuilt, might be overshadowed by its low price and the fact that the new owner will probably be very happy with this car, again that is my opinion.

How do we know it has a low price? It is currently at $6600 "Reserve Not Met". We have no idea as to what the seller's expectations are.

Ok I confess I looked at the pictures on the big screen and Kurt was right lot of slop on the picture of that left center door. Can't under stand people that would rather try to paper off a door sill then take out 4 screws. But you see it a lot.

Granted, it might be overdone with accessories and no doubt, most of us would do it differently. I also agree that a 36K mile 455 and 400 trans, really shouldn't need rebuilding. But, I think for a 45 year old professional car in this price range, it is still respectable and worthwhile. I am a fan of the 71 through 76 Olds Ninety Eights, they were great cars in the day and they still are, at least in my opinion. I actually like this car, flaws and all!

With all of the lights and accessories I wonder if the alternator and batteries would be sufficient.

If it has the 145 amp Delco alternator installed, it shouldn't have any problems keeping up.

Back