59 Chevy Ambulance - Indy

Here's a '59 Chevrolet ambulance for sale in Indianapolis. Looks a little like one we used to see around here. Not sure, I think it's a Comet.

OK, it's a little pricey, but...

Here's the link.

00H0H_12eFw2xWEtw_600x450.jpg

you mean 59 brookline brook wood oh what ever the wagon was called the Biscayne had the cat eyes. my first care was a 59 4 door Biscayne. but if I'm not mistaken I have pictures of this one much earlier.

me I would trade him a limo for it.

Attachments

• 1959 chevy.jpg
    1959 chevy.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 319
  • 1959 chevy 2.jpg
    1959 chevy 2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 328
As far as I know, all 59's had the cat eye tail lights, even the wagons. This car is a 59 with 58 tail lights, probably because it was easier to fabricate the loading door without contouring it for the cat eyes, or running wires into it for tail lights. 60's had individual housings for each light.

After reading Todd's posts and going back and looking at the pictures, I stand corrected on my belief that the lites were 1960s. I had a 58 Bel Air once upon a time and they match. Using the 58 lites makes sense with Todd's reasoning on making the standard 59 lites work.

yes that was one of the tricks to use a flat light off from something else. I missed the 58 last night. but did look it up this morning. and all the 59's had the cat eyes. you can see here why the did that. the 60 pictured is the one Dean has before he brought it. the construction is vary close. so I'm comfortable calling this 59 a comet. did you notice the taillights are on backwards?

Attachments

• 1959 wagon.JPG
    1959 wagon.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 278
  • 1959 comet 2.JPG
    1959 comet 2.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 272
  • 1960 C-B  1 first year for Cotner-Bevington.jpg
    1960 C-B 1 first year for Cotner-Bevington.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 275
As far as Ive always hears these were built under the C/B name. This was the year they sold the Comet name and its been said that the only 59 built under the Comet name was the one Imperial ambulance. It would be nice to know for sure.
I wonder if this is the same coach that ED posted?
The correct tail lights would make it look much better, that's the best part of that year!

It's interesting and confusing, because the 58-64 Chevrolet full sized cars were basically a different car every year, at least enough different that you can easily tell them apart (tail lights, grills, fins, etc.). But you throw pro-cars in the mix and it gets confusing. This 59 has tail light pods reminiscent of the 60, but the tail lights themselves are 58, so depending on how quickly you glance at it, it is easy to call it any of the three years.

As far as Ive always hears these were built under the C/B name. This was the year they sold the Comet name and its been said that the only 59 built under the Comet name was the one Imperial ambulance. It would be nice to know for sure.
I wonder if this is the same coach that ED posted?
The correct tail lights would make it look much better, that's the best part of that year!

The info I was told in this post about Comet only making that Imperial in 1959 was incorrect, and this coach is in fact built under the Comet name as others have mentioned. I have confirmed with the seller. This is also in fact the same coach that ED posted pictures of in post #5.

I do like the looks of this coach!!! WAY out of my range pricewise but it certainly looks in nice shape and will make someone a very sharp car!!!

Back