472 Operating Temp?

My '73 S&S Victoria runs at about 220 F on the aftermarket temp gauge when it's warmed up, and often warmer than that with the A/C running. The engine is a stock 472, probably original to the car and probably has never been apart.Odometer shows about 90K but I'm pretty sure it's been rolled back at some point. Anybody know what normal operating temp is supposed to be? Seems to me like it gets pretty hot,and I've been thinking about having my guy install an extra fan.Suggestions and opinions welcome,and thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Hearse gauges.jpg
    Hearse gauges.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 189
First think to do is to check the running temperature with a reliable infrared temperature gun. I have seen so many of the mechanical bulb gauges as well as the electric gauges that were so far off the mark, that the car's engine should have gone into a melted piece of iron. The one in my 1969 Cadillac was more than 30 degrees off on the high side. I cut it out of the engine, and put the oem idiot light sender in its place.

Good to know gauges are often unreliable, and thanks, but I'm still wondering what's normal operating temp for a '73 472. My gauge is showing between 200 and 220 F, sometimes a bit more in traffic or when the A/C is on. Assuming the gauge were accurate(big assumption, I know) that seems uncomfortably close to over heating. Am I overthinking this?

Water boils at 212 degrees, and add 3 degrees for each pound of pressure in the system, which is a 15# cap times 3 = 45 additional degrees of safety, or 212 + 45 = 257 degrees.. At 220 on a questionable gauge, I would say that you are safe. The thermostat in that engine is 195 degrees before it fully opens. If it isn't broken, then don't attempt to change it. You may add problems where there are none.

From back in the day we always used a 180 degree and if it ran a bit hot (Up towards 200) we would drop a 140 in. Aftermarket temp gauges are pure crap remember where they come from. Paul is right a good modern one or an old fashioned thermometer (WATCH TAKING CAP OFF DON'T GET BURNED).

From back in the day we always used a 180 degree and if it ran a bit hot (Up towards 200) we would drop a 140 in. Aftermarket temp gauges are pure crap remember where they come from. Paul is right a good modern one or an old fashioned thermometer (WATCH TAKING CAP OFF DON'T GET BURNED).

Once the car gets up to operating temperature, if you remove the cap, it will go into instant boiling, and you will get scalded badly. If you want to check the temperature with an old fashioned thermometer, then remove cap first, and then bring the engine up to operating temperature. Today, you can purchase an infrared temperature gun for under $25, and not ever have to deal with hot water ever again. Water over the temperature of 105 degrees is too hot for you body to absorb, and will start doing tissue damage. 125 degrees will cause 1st degree burns.

I would not put in a thermostat over 180. If i owned it. The 75 Pontiac had a 195 in it drove to to Gettysburg and back with no trouble but man it was way hotter then i wanted a car to be. Got home and put in a 180. Much nicer.

Back