Rhinecliff updates

most likely the narrow is only in the pegs I don't recall it being any narrower then the 30s I had here but don't remember trading mattresses. if it was 2 inched narrower you would have though a man would have noticed that. funny how fast those crutch tips brake threw. you place a thin washer in them first they will not do that.

From memory, I don't believe that I gave you a mattress with the cot. Pretty sure that I kept it for another cot that didn't have one.

Time and patience...

After almost 20 years separated from the car - the Dutchess County Ambulance & First Aid Association grille sign is back on Rhinecliff Rescue 1! This sign was applied as the Rescue Squad was a part of one of the first standard-creating organizations for prehospital care in the US. Putting this on the vehicle was one of many added items by the Squad before it was placed in service in November 1963; after delivery by Franklin Body/Community Garage of Rhinebeck in May.

The previous owner of the ambulance purchased the vehicle from the hamlet when it was put up for sale, and later sold it to Paul Steinberg in 2008. The badge came off at some point during the car being cleaned/painted, and was not pictured as far back as 2002. This gentleman very kindly found it in a box while cleaning up over the holidays and sent it to me. Many thanks indeed!

Although it survived at least 25 years on the vehicle in splendid shape - I gave it a coat of wax just to be sure. Now if it would only stop raining so I could take the ambulance out of the garage... :)

Attachments

• IMG_0350.jpg
    IMG_0350.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 623
  • 2017-01-14 18.29.43.jpg
    2017-01-14 18.29.43.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 649
At least 100 ft of rope was required by the American College of Surgeons ambulance equipment list, and commonly carried. If you're looking for rope - I can recommend Rope Warehouse in Tampa - http://www.ropewarehouse.com/. The natural manila rope sold at Home Depot, etc. is very low quality. Maybe good for a tug-o-war rope - but nothing like what would've been carried for rescue purposes. I rolled up 50 ft in a buntline coil plus another 50 ft attached with a bowline to the life ring. There's a floor compartment under the stretcher - and it's too small to hold folding stretchers/stair chairs.

The vehicle was known to carry a Porto-Power, without specifics on whether it was the 4 ton and 10 ton model. 4 ton models seem most common on professional car chassis rescue ambulances from what I've seen. However, contemporary news articles stated the 1967 Pinner-Chrysler in nearby Amenia, NY carried a 10-ton model, so that's what I went with. Digging up a period-correct Blackhawk Porto-Power wasn't too hard - but for some reason the box from that timeframe has proven elusive. I've heard from some folks they carried these without a box, and Paul Steinberg told me they made a wood box for the set when he served at West Orange FAS. No evidence to what they had existed - so I found a nice looking one on eBay long enough to hold the set's components. Maybe one day I'll turn up one of the metal boxes...

Attachments

• IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_0334.JPG
    IMG_0334.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 596
End of the cot saga.

As discussed in previous posts, this Pinner-Chrysler had its cabinet dimensions changed after the initial stretch of the chassis. Due to this, it cut the usable patient compartment length by a few inches - more than expected. Jack Pinner contacted Ferno-Washington and had them make a Model 30 Ambulance Cot ("Two-Man") shortened a few inches to fit the car better. Upon arrival, it is apparent another change of plans occurred - and the Fireman's Auxiliary purchased a Model 26 "One-Man" Ambulance Cot for the car along with a Model 7 "Quick-Lock" fastener. They selected the optional narrower 20" width, probably due to the width of the large bench seat. This cot served the service lifetime of the car, with perhaps replacement of the original 3" Nu-Foam mattress and straps at some point. Upon being surplused by the Fire Department, the car and cot were purchased by its first owner - a former rescue squad member then living in Connecticut. In 2008, when the car was sold to Paul Steinberg. Shortly thereafter, he came in touch with Jack Pinner who informed him of the original Model 30 cot. Coupled with factory photos showing a Model 1 cot bar - the best evidence he had was that the Model 26 cot in the car was installed at some point later in its service lifespan.

He installed a Model 1 cot bar back onto the mounting brackets, and found an acceptable replacement for a special/shortened Model 30 - the Model 32 low-headroom ambulance cot. The original cot found its way to Ed Renstrom, then to another PCS Member. This member quite generously allowed me to trade my 22" Ferno Model 26 for this one in late December.

The cot is the one pictured by Ed Renstrom in a previous post. You can see the 20" width gives you approx. 19" center to center. This fits in the cups drilled into the floor. The Quick-Lock fastener itself also fits properly with this arrangement. Many thanks to this person for helping me in putting this car back together - that's really what the PCS is about.

Small aside: While there was some above discussion if the straps/mattress might have been kept by Paul before sending the cot out - it appears the ones I got with it were the ones on it when it came to him. I've thought about whether to try to find a brown mattress for the cot - but it's unclear when F-W switched to the "hospital green" color, so it's possible the mattress is original. I am unclear on when the blue straps were added. It's possible they've been with the cot since the beginning vs the usual gray F-W straps. Either which way - I hesitate to mess with anything that I know was in service for at least some time. Photo attached from owner prior to Paul's garage. Now all I need is that Rhinecliff Reeves stretcher!

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2017-01-21 17.54.19.jpg
    2017-01-21 17.54.19.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 511
  • 2017-01-28 12.51.33.jpg
    2017-01-28 12.51.33.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 507
  • IM000804.jpg
    IM000804.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 501
The original grey restraining straps, I believe are still in my possession, and I am certain that the brown mattress that I have in my Chevrolet, is in all probability one of the many that came with one of my cars. I put the green mattress into the Pinner, because I thought that it was period correct. I gave the gurney to Ed, since he wanted a one man cot to be able to load his grandmother into the car without assistance, as I remember. He picked it up at my home, after the International Meet in Albany.

In other photos of this car there is a script just above the "Chrysler New Yorker" script in this photo. It is just below the trim. Do you have a photo, (preferably straight on) of it?

You mean the Pinner badge? Photo attached prior to cleaning.

Attachments

• 2015-03-22 13.19.59.jpg
    2015-03-22 13.19.59.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 419
Yes! That is the one I am looking for. Do you know if those sheet metal screws are original? Do you have the measurements? Height of the letters, length and width of the bar? I am designing a 1/25 scale photo etch sheet for modelers. Also if you haven't id'd the wheel covers in the same photo I referred to, according to one for sale on ebay it's a 15" 1962-1964 Newport wheel cover. They would have been used on Newport police Enforcers, since Chrysler police cars had 15" wheels.

At least 100 ft of rope was required by the American College of Surgeons ambulance equipment list, and commonly carried. If you're looking for rope - I can recommend Rope Warehouse in Tampa - http://www.ropewarehouse.com/. The natural manila rope sold at Home Depot, etc. is very low quality. Maybe good for a tug-o-war rope - but nothing like what would've been carried for rescue purposes. I rolled up 50 ft in a buntline coil plus another 50 ft attached with a bowline to the life ring. There's a floor compartment under the stretcher - and it's too small to hold folding stretchers/stair chairs.

The vehicle was known to carry a Porto-Power, without specifics on whether it was the 4 ton and 10 ton model. 4 ton models seem most common on professional car chassis rescue ambulances from what I've seen. However, contemporary news articles stated the 1967 Pinner-Chrysler in nearby Amenia, NY carried a 10-ton model, so that's what I went with. Digging up a period-correct Blackhawk Porto-Power wasn't too hard - but for some reason the box from that timeframe has proven elusive. I've heard from some folks they carried these without a box, and Paul Steinberg told me they made a wood box for the set when he served at West Orange FAS. No evidence to what they had existed - so I found a nice looking one on eBay long enough to hold the set's components. Maybe one day I'll turn up one of the metal boxes...

I wonder if this box might not have been used for something such as a Porta-Power?

Attachments

• Amb Box 1.jpg
    Amb Box 1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 321
  • Amb Box 2.jpg
    Amb Box 2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 314
  • Amb Box 3.jpg
    Amb Box 3.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 318
That's a Navy Portable Medical Locker or PML. They were packed with first aid supplies and placed in strategic locations through out a ship. The idea was to have supplies available if one part of the ship was cut off due to fire or battle damage.

I wonder if this box might not have been used for something such as a Porta-Power?

When metal box present - they were generally curved or flat top metal box indeed like the pictured PML.

Like the one I recently picked up. :)

Yes, I know I'm missing the chain/hook set. If anyone's got one lying around they want to get rid - I'd be interested. :)

Attachments

• 2017-03-02 20.51.54.jpg
    2017-03-02 20.51.54.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 190
If you look at period photos of this car in 1963 at the factory (Post #30) and in 1964 at Rhinecliff (Post #28) - you can see a Model 17 two-beam Beacon Ray with small dome and uncut skirt.

Photos from the first post-Rhinecliff FD owner's house show that the beacon's dome had been replaced with a clear dome at some point. The original skirt had been milled out at the top to to accommodate the larger new-style Beacon Ray dome.

When Paul had this car, he experimented with changing the light to the Model 175 and similar lights. He eventually settled on the Model 17 with red dome, but changed the skirt to a shorter one.

Thanks to Gary Cahill at Rescue Market, I was able to obtain a small dome and skirt for a fair price. He also supplied a new top/bottom gasket and a reproduction nameplate to replace the badly faded original. I found that the "T-bolts" that mounted into the car were cut down as well. Unfortunately, no one seems to make the original FS-style "T-bolts" anymore, nor was I able to find some. I cut-down some stainless threaded rod to the proper 6" length and used some standard toggle bolt wings (unfortunately just zinc coated) instead. I replaced all the hardware with stainless. I used some white Rust-O-Leum on the area under the beacon which had deteriorated over time. Although no one sees it, hate for it to rust since it's last on the list for any repainting!

I think it turned out nice. Back the way it looked in 1963.

Attachments

• 2017-05-14 20.05.16.jpg
    2017-05-14 20.05.16.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 2017-05-27 21.20.14.jpg
    2017-05-27 21.20.14.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 2017-05-28 20.41.44.jpg
    2017-05-28 20.41.44.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 127
Who said that the original Federal style "T" bolts are no longer available?

I just bought a bunch of them recently on eBay.

You find your self in this jam again there is a extension​ nut. It's about a inch long nut that you thread half way on the uprights then the ready bolt holes on top. a drop of thread locker will hold it in place. But your Way worked to . Don't forget to seal the shafts and wire they are one major leak point. But the light looks good up there.

That "Federal T bolt" is a standard concrete block toggle bolt.

That style is no longer made, but millions of the spring loaded type are still produced.

Also, please don't mix steel and stainless hardware, unless you want to create corrosion. Minimal iron contamination will cause stainless to rust.

When metal box present - they were generally curved or flat top metal box indeed like the pictured PML.

Like the one I recently picked up. :)

Yes, I know I'm missing the chain/hook set. If anyone's got one lying around they want to get rid - I'd be interested. :)

Are you aware that is a 1960s industrial wheel & bearing puller set, not a rescue set?
They are still made, although they come in plastic cases now.

I sure could have used that puller Sunday afternoon on a stubborn lawnmower deck.

Back