Toronto man injured by freak accident..

Steve Lichtman

I actually noticed that the fire hydrant had a mark at the top from the side of the car and a tire mark at the bottom of the hydrant.

She did hit it but just slightly.

I too wish she had of hit the hydrant head on and hopefully would have did a lot less damage to this guys pride and joy ! Oh well.

Steve Loftin

Dave will be thrilled to see these photos. His car does have the large red lightbar.

It is truly incredible how you have logged the info and photos on these cars over the years. All I can say is WOW !

Keep up the great work ! :thumb:

Darren

Bumping this thread back up so it gets noticed....

In Dana Bennett's thread, he indicates that it was Dave who wanted to buy Dana's hearse, and now says that he has the money because the insurance company totalled the ambulance and it's now GONE.

Does anyone know him well enough to find out - QUICKLY - what insurance company and what happened to the ambulance? Before it gets scrapped!

I hate the thought that this very restorable ambulance will meet its demise in a crusher simply because the repair cost will exceed its insured value. Personal connections aside, this is a very nice, restorable ambulance.

OK, I just got off the phone with Darren, who just got off the phone with Dave. Apparently, the ambulance isn't gone yet, though the insurance company's plan is to pay the car off. Dave is apparently still negotiating with the insurance company to keep the car. So the saga continues.

Darren is going to follow up over the weekend.

We're going to all work together in hopes it doesn't end up in the crusher.

I talked with Dave yesterday, more about my coach, and he told me that he is not buying back the Ambulance as it has too much damage, however he is removing some parts he wants to save. He has mentioned that if he gets my coach that he would like to install a cot bar and possibly also a removable light/siren on top, I think he might be wanting to make it more of a combo than the straight hearse that it is.

Dave also said the the pictures probably don't show the damage to be as bad as it really is.

anyway, thats what I was told so I figured I would pass it along. I do not have any information as far as what insurance company it is.

Dana Bennett.

I talked with Dave yesterday, more about my coach, and he told me that he is not buying back the Ambulance as it has too much damage, however he is removing some parts he wants to save. He has mentioned that if he gets my coach that he would like to install a cot bar and possibly also a removable light/siren on top, I think he might be wanting to make it more of a combo than the straight hearse that it is.

Dave also said the the pictures probably don't show the damage to be as bad as it really is.

anyway, thats what I was told so I figured I would pass it along. I do not have any information as far as what insurance company it is.

Dana Bennett.

Wow, grab that thing even if it just sat in the backyard and sure it can be repaired. Insurance company will probably just junk it and crush.

Keep us updated please and wish Dave the best in his recovery.

and we wounder were the rust free cars have gone. the nasty part I saw in the pictures was the door. were I can see him not wanting to keep it it would be nice to know what the insurance co is expected to get from it. it may suprise you. most of them have a contract with a yard and they get so much a car no matter what it is. I would bet the car is worth at least 2500 to them.

Dana Bennett.

tell him he can store the Ambulance at my place instead of the Insurance Company junking it he needs to save this car !!!!!

I live an hour and 15 min from Toronto

I drove by to check if the ambulance was still in his driveway... and it was.

I will call him tomorrow to find out the current status on the insurance side of things.

Hopefully it can be saved and bought by a PCS member to repair or to part out if the frame is truly bent beyond repair.

Darren

nothing is beyond repair. just some things are not worth the price of the repair. I knwo were two cars are that have decent frames under them. bt the price of combining them would be high

nothing is beyond repair. just some things are not worth the price of the repair. I knwo were two cars are that have decent frames under them. bt the price of combining them would be high

The price of combining them may be high, but would it really cost any more than doing extensive body work on a rusty one? I dont now anyone that has transfered one to another frame so I dont know the cost but would think it would be somewhat cheaper.

the biggest expense would be fright in getting the pieces to were they could be combined. like Paule said it's a dead horse, adds noting but ex-pence to the cost of the repair. 2 grand bringing the pieces together would go a long way to fixing on the car. but in all honesty a little frame damage is over rated and a easy fix. when the cars of this style were new there were a lot of frame repair places that did the pulls. most alignment shops did frame repair also. but as cars got into more unit body construction these kind of places dried up. now about the only place is truck repair shops and to them it's a small job not worth messing with.

the biggest expense would be fright in getting the pieces to were they could be combined. like Paule said it's a dead horse, adds noting but ex-pence to the cost of the repair. 2 grand bringing the pieces together would go a long way to fixing on the car. but in all honesty a little frame damage is over rated and a easy fix. when the cars of this style were new there were a lot of frame repair places that did the pulls. most alignment shops did frame repair also. but as cars got into more unit body construction these kind of places dried up. now about the only place is truck repair shops and to them it's a small job not worth messing with.

I am too young to remember all the frame straightning shops, but I know they existed and know someone that had a frame straightning machine in their shop and parked their 58 Superior parked on it for storage.
Im interested in seeing one of these in operation.

I had to go back and look at the pictures of the car. of course you don't have the ones you would need. but in case some one get back down there. here is what I see from what is posted. the hit was a hard one high on he wheel and over the bumper. the radiator support and suspension took the brunt of it. now if one was to stand at the taillight and look down the car. look at the bumper ends. I'm guessing that the they are if any only slightly to the right. the teller would be if the fan is still in the center of the radiator or not. minis the movement of the support. you can see the gap in the fender and door is wide on the left close on the right. the hood is pretty much in tack but the hinges are bent. the top of the left wheel is laid way in. if there is any frame damage it's here
it could have a twist up on this side one would have to get it one the rack and put the gages on it to tell. but it looks to me like upper a arm damage maybe spindle but they vary seldom get hurt. so left fender, inner fender, hood hinges. the bumper will come out and be chromed. headlight complete on the left. radiator support either a repair or replace you can't tell. most likly grill. one can get a complete front end assy for 1500 with at least a grand fright to get it to the car. 300 in the suspension damage then labor to R&R and repair any shipping damage at what ever but a good guess would be 2 grand, refinish to match would run round another 1500. if one had to pull the frame add 500 so I'll bid 6300 to repair the car. for that I would love to get the chance to do it. but then you still have to figure in the car still has what ever was wrong with it to begin with wrong. now if you think the car is worth 25,000 bucks before the wreck the repair is worth it but if say you paid some one 5 for it a week ago??? the company is figuring to pay you what you did for the car. they going to owe you repaired on your body either way. but they give you 5 for the car sell it to there contract salvage yard for 2500 and they get by a lot cheaper then fixing the car. if it was my car I would hold out for the repair damages and get a good estimate for a reliable shop close by. as it's liability clame, the car is still mine. I don't have to sell it to them. they do owe me the damages. then when I got back under my feet I would look long and hard at the car and the money and decide do we fix or do I sell it to one of us that thinks it's so easy to fix????

Attachments

• 75 superior 1.jpg
    75 superior 1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 171
  • 975 superior wreck.jpg
    975 superior wreck.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 173
David is still in negotiations with the insurance company regarding getting to keep the car.

I will let you know more when it is all worked out.

The good thing is that the car is still in his driveway.

Darren

I am too young to remember all the frame straightning shops, but I know they existed and know someone that had a frame straightning machine in their shop and parked their 58 Superior parked on it for storage.
Im interested in seeing one of these in operation.

I remember when I was a teenager ( a couple of years ago) there was an old guy ( in his late 60's ) who owned a frame shop....he did everything in that shop the cars I saw go in there I thought were JUNK...but next thing you knew....he had them good as new. he was the best in the area....

but late 60's is old to be working around the heavy Iron. I admire a man that can still do that 8hr a day. my brother in law worked for Eton in Pa. after assembling the frames they were checked and straightened then bundled and ship to the assembly plant. if we really knew all that went into that think we are zipping down the road at a mile a minute in we would never get it another one.

Back