1960 gmc suburban ambulance

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/5338865298.html

I'm relisting this super cool, 1960 GMC Suburban Ambulance. I had it sold to a guy from California, but, he ended up being a Craigslist B.S.'er. (Check's in the mail). Anyway, it's a history rich, very rare vehicle. All original. Yes, it has rust, and yes, it needs work . . .. . . hence the $2,500 price tag. Keep it Rat/Rod, or restore. It's an open canvas. Feel free to call and ask questions, but please, no tire kickers, hobby chatting enthusiasts, low ballers, etc. I'm a straight up deal maker. Pics will be posted later today. Thanks.

(913) 636-9494

so who's side glass is this? I have two pictures vary similar both on suburbans this 60 and a 66 that sold in Michigan. that look to be a off shout of the meteor design.

Attachments

• 1960.JPG
    1960.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 469
  • 1966 panal wagon 3.jpg
    1966 panal wagon 3.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 452
so who's side glass is this? I have two pictures vary similar both on suburbans this 60 and a 66 that sold in Michigan. that look to be a off shout of the meteor design.
Looks like a Stoner-ish design to me as it has some resemblance to this later Stoner variation:

2834644902_7fdfed4ebc_o-vi.jpg

I remember this unit being listed for sale in the Lake Havasu, AZ Craigslist earlier this year or maybe it was last year so it could have been originally in service somewhere in the California, Nevada or Arizona region where Stoners were popular in that era.

not stoner but similar. 3 stripes coming out of the bottom. the cross in the circle is common in 50s and 60s ambulances. but each manufacturer had there own version of it. all the stoners I have pictures of use exactly the same one. to see one different is a fluke to see it twice 6 years apart means some one else was building them for a few years anyway.

you have forced me off the couch and my lap top I'm practicing windows 10 on. here are some examples of what I mean you can see they all fallow the same theme but are different in numbers of stripes and location. the first example I have of a etched circle with a etched cross in it is this 46 Seabert
then as it transcends into the 50 you can see how the other manufactures picked up on it and did there own version

Attachments

• 1946 mercury seabert 2.jpg
    1946 mercury seabert 2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 485
  • 1949 flexable.jpg
    1949 flexable.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 441
  • 1952 Barnette.JPG
    1952 Barnette.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 424
  • 1952 seabert.jpg
    1952 seabert.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 457
  • 1952-Cadillac-Meteor-Ambulance-Rear-Comparment.jpg
    1952-Cadillac-Meteor-Ambulance-Rear-Comparment.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 422
  • 1953 Armbruster.JPG
    1953 Armbruster.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 461
  • 1953 rear glass National.jpg
    1953 rear glass National.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 458
  • 1953 superior.JPG
    1953 superior.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 478
here are a few more going up in the years. 54 Memphis-57 amble wagon-a pair of 57 MM-58 eureka- 60 superior-63 rescue all-67 piner. you see each is similar but distinctively different.

Attachments

• 1954 memphis.JPG
    1954 memphis.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 414
  • 1957 amble wagon ford.jpg
    1957 amble wagon ford.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 456
  • 1957 miller.jpg
    1957 miller.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 406
  • 1957 MM futuara a.jpg
    1957 MM futuara a.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 430
  • 1958 euerka como.jpg
    1958 euerka como.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 398
  • 1960 superior.JPG
    1960 superior.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 417
  • 1963 rescue all glass.jpg
    1963 rescue all glass.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 419
  • 1966 pinner chy chassis factory photo a.jpg
    1966 pinner chy chassis factory photo a.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 439
OK the eureka and the pinner id not have a etched circle I'm dealing with thumbnails and a pair bi focals. so here are the two in question along with the stoner between. as you can see they are different. the two in question look more like the 57 MM then the stoner.

the last pictures I have of the cross and lines is this 76 Buick

Attachments

• 1966 panal wagon 3.jpg
    1966 panal wagon 3.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 394
  • 1970 stoner.jpg
    1970 stoner.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 423
  • 1960.JPG
    1960.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 377
  • 1976 flexable buick.jpg
    1976 flexable buick.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 407
Found this '62 GMC Stoner on IMDB that appeared on Get Smart TV show. Tough to tell exactly from the distance and angle but the glass looks close to that on the '60 GMC in the ad.

16300807512_1f1ce1c061_z-vi.jpg

00V0V_kKoItHAjFAA_600x450-vi.jpg

yes those two rigs are basically the same short wheel base and glass is the same now what identifies it as a stoner??

there are a few things consistent threw the years on them. they basically had the same rear center step with the back up lights in it. they all had the gurney mounted on the right and they us about 10 thousand screws to hold the trim pad on the rear doors. also there is no manufacture label on them. as they were a west cost builder all there rigs have a calf final assembly. I found the build ticket under the carpet on the drivers side on the one Ron has.

now I'm not saying that your wrong on the builder, or that stoner never used that glass design. only that it doesn't fit there 67 to the next body change in 73 style. which provers they used more then one etching. the only picture I have of that body with glass has no etching. so it's of no help.

with pictures of two of this style glass I would like to defiantly prove it's theres so I can get it labeled right.

here is that 64 but as I'm only going on some one's word on it, it's subject to change also. the 63 used in the Emergency show was a long wheel base rescue truck.

some points on this 64 is the half divider and the reversal passengers seat with gurney on the right. you can just see the step and the trim pads. the way the interior is trimmed out is similar to the 70 I . it is set up to carry 4 pts in back. the duel spotlights were constant with stoner also

Attachments

• 1964 stoner 1.jpg
    1964 stoner 1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 318
  • 1964 stoner 3.jpg
    1964 stoner 3.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 351
I see this morning that he did put up some more pictures of it. there is enough left to say that it was a right hand gurney and similar construction. in side

Attachments

• 1966 stoner.JPG
    1966 stoner.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 184
some one slap me awake this morning. darn pills the have me taking to get by. that one has a left hand gurney so it is not a stoner. I was cleaning up the pictures when I noticed it:eek::eek:

Attachments

• 1966 stoner (2).jpg
    1966 stoner (2).jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 158
yes those two rigs are basically the same short wheel base and glass is the same now what identifies it as a stoner??

there are a few things consistent threw the years on them. they basically had the same rear center step with the back up lights in it. they all had the gurney mounted on the right and they us about 10 thousand screws to hold the trim pad on the rear doors. also there is no manufacture label on them. as they were a west cost builder all there rigs have a calf final assembly. I found the build ticket under the carpet on the drivers side on the one Ron has.

now I'm not saying that your wrong on the builder, or that stoner never used that glass design. only that it doesn't fit there 67 to the next body change in 73 style. which provers they used more then one etching. the only picture I have of that body with glass has no etching. so it's of no help.

with pictures of two of this style glass I would like to defiantly prove it's theres so I can get it labeled right.

here is that 64 but as I'm only going on some one's word on it, it's subject to change also. the 63 used in the Emergency show was a long wheel base rescue truck.

some points on this 64 is the half divider and the reversal passengers seat with gurney on the right. you can just see the step and the trim pads. the way the interior is trimmed out is similar to the 70 I . it is set up to carry 4 pts in back. the duel spotlights were constant with stoner also
Going off what the photo caption says it is. True, with just one shot like this one it's not possible to be 100% sure of who made it but it does have many attributes of a Stoner rig. So weird that Stoner had never used any manufacturer plates or labels on their products. :thumbsdown:

I would LOVE to see the build ticket you found Ed, the carpet was changed on my '71 by the previous owner and I've already had it up and not found anything like that under mine. Can you or Ron post a photo of it?

Also, where did the photos of this '64 Stoner come from and do you have any others or more information about where/when they were taken?

1964stoner1-vi.jpg

I ask because one of my buddies now owns it, I took this photo earlier this year:

photo16-vi.jpg

I believe he bought it around 2009 when it was located in the North SF Bay Area. So far the only progress on it has been replacement of the front sheetmetal as can be seen above.

I'm sure that the pictures of the 64 were off the e-bay add. here is te GM build plate I found in the 70 stoner. it's still there I covered it in clear to help keep it safe.

so the search is still on for who was using this glass design with 3 of them pictured it was not a one of shop

Attachments

• IMG_311-2.jpg
    IMG_311-2.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 156
Back