question from a newbie !

ok... being new to Professional cars, I have a couple of questions. I have a copy of professional Cars by Gregg Merksamer what I would like to know is...what is the difference between Limousine Style Hearse and a Landau Hearse ? is it the Limousine style has glass all around and the landau has the panel and landau bars ??

also D-pillars ????

Commercial Chassis and commercial glass

I know what the term combinations means .....maybe I should buy a couple more books to read ?

Mike

You're pretty much right on. Limo style has glass behind the C pillar and Landau is solid metal there with landau irons mounted on. Some combos have removable covers that hide the limo style glass and give the look of a landau coach. Hope this helps.

Mike...continue to ask! The wealth of knowledge in this group is amazing. In no time you'll be able to tell the difference between a Superior, MM, or S&S. What is truly amazing is when someone tells the make, year and model of a particular car based on nothing more than seeing the shape under a blanket!

more info

Up until 1984, if my memory is correct, Cadillac professional cars were built on what was called the "commercial chassis". This was built by Cadillac and consisted of the rolling chassis complete with drivetrain and the front clip up to the firewall & dashboard. This was NOT a cut & stretch like later years. The "commercial glass" refers to a taller than stock windshield.

questions from a newbie

Mike,
They say a picture is worth a 1000 words. Look at my 61 M-M avatar. That is a limo style combination coach.
The pillars are lettered starting with the windshield posts. They are A posts. Each successive post/pillar uses the next letter of the alphabet.
I am sure with Gregg's book and others you will soon know the language.
You will find that all you have to do here is ask.
Mike

As Rick mentioned Commercial Glass is taller and wider than standard glass. Here is a very good comparison pic of my 1966 Superior Cadillac and 1966 Cadillac Calais parked together.

Keep the questions comming, remember all of us had the same questions at one time!

misc 42.JPG

They all have different rooflines, landau bars and drape design. As stated before after you learn the builders you can tell them just by the body lines.

Back