What does "KMG365" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I have been buying the tv show "EMERGENCY" and they always acknowledge when they get a call with a final "KMG365" to dispatch. Just what in the world does that mean?
Neat show and love seeing the ambulances. They start with a flat top Cadillac, then a Surburban, and now the big box type ambulance is being used for transport..

Richard

KMG-365 was the radio call sign from the Federal FCC radio license. Back in the day, all radio frequencies had be licensed (they still do), and all radio transmitters had to be licensed as well. And the license number was required to be broadcast, either every half hour or so or whenever they were used if less than every half hour.

KMG-365 was apparently an actual call sign for LA County Fire, according to the "EmergencyFans" website.

Today, all broadcast frequencies are still licensed. Ever noticed how the TV station broadcasts it's call sign every half hour? (During live sports shows, they "pause for station identification".) Fire radio frequencies do, too, but now it's a computer programmed digital burst in very-fast Morse code.

Rick, are you getting senile?

When we were kids working together our call sign was..................KQR 612

Dispatcher

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the same dispatcher used throughout the entire EMERGENCY! series? I always enjoy the scenes showing the call being received by the dispatch center, handed over to the dispatcher, and the actual call being toned out. I wonder if that dispatcher has received any credit throughout all the EMERGENCY! nostalgia?

Makes me wonder the same thing about "Carol" the nurse and "Vince" the cop... They were always on duty too!

Both "Adam 12", and "Dragnet" used real the real Los Angeles Police call sign; KMA 367

During the years I worked ambulance in Santa Clara County (Silicon Valley), the call sign for the County Communications ambulance and coroner dispatch was, and remains, KME 24 (no third number).

As a kid in the 1960's, I dispatched my Dad's employees, (he had a Frigidare franchise) with the company's call sign; KMK 654.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the same dispatcher used throughout the entire EMERGENCY! series? I always enjoy the scenes showing the call being received by the dispatch center, handed over to the dispatcher, and the actual call being toned out. I wonder if that dispatcher has received any credit throughout all the EMERGENCY! nostalgia?

Makes me wonder the same thing about "Carol" the nurse and "Vince" the cop... They were always on duty too!
The dispatcher was Sam Lanier, a real LA County Fire dispatcher. Apparently, Jack Webb loved his voice (who wouldn't). He was indeed the voice heard in every episode, and in later seasons, he did appear on camera in the show. He was known to "E!" fans, but he died in 1997 of a heart attack at the scene of a vehicle crash off duty.

You can find out about all the characters, major and minor, on the EmergencyFans website. Nice story about Sam. Vince the cop, and Detective Crockett as well, are listed there.

Also, a good episode list is at the Internet Movie Database

Years ago I searched far and wide for KMG365. I couldn't find it in any of LA County's listings. There were several call signs. The one for the region portrayed in "Emergency!" would have been KMG941. I can't help but wonder if they didn't use the "555" phone number rationale and create a dummy call sign.

Call signs

Robert:

If memory serves me correctly.... (might not).... the original FCC Call Sign for the U.S. Forest Service at the Cleveland National Forest (San Diego-Riverside Counties) was "KME-23" and the San Bernardino NF was "KME-20", so your Santa Clara call sign was one of the original assignees. The San Diego Ranger Unit (Monte Vista ECC) for the CDF (Now CAL FIRE) is and has been "KVE-80"

Additional FCC Trivia.....in the same era when a CHP Dispatcher would ask an Officer to "Signal 10-11" it meant for them to recite back his or her call sign assigned to a group of 50 or more mobile units, usually one number lower. (*) BTW... the CA-CHP still uses Low-Band Statewide and is VERY protective of their old radios including having metal guards built around them in the trunks of the CVPI's and Chargers to prevent damage to them during rear-end collisions. MM

Current "KMG365" FCC Registration Information

KMG-365 was apparently an actual call sign for LA County Fire ...

From the full list of 25 FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Bellflower, CA:

9814 Maplewood Ave (Lat: 33.900306 Lon: -118.125056), Call Sign: KMG365, Licensee ID: L00007682
Assigned Frequencies : 154.430 MHz
Grant Date: 01/04/2001, Expiration Date: 01/22/2011
Registrant: County Of Los Angeles, 1110 N Eastern Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90063, Phone: (323) 267-3004, Fax: (323) 262-4607, Email: gpoon@isd.lacounty.gov

Kmg 365

Recently I have been buying the tv show "EMERGENCY" and they always acknowledge when they get a call with a final "KMG365" to dispatch. Just what in the world does that mean?
Neat show and love seeing the ambulances. They start with a flat top Cadillac, then a Surburban, and now the big box type ambulance is being used for transport..

Richard

Richard it means Keep Me Going 365

Russ

From the full list of 25 FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Bellflower, CA:

9814 Maplewood Ave (Lat: 33.900306 Lon: -118.125056), Call Sign: KMG365, Licensee ID: L00007682
Assigned Frequencies : 154.430 MHz
Grant Date: 01/04/2001, Expiration Date: 01/22/2011
Registrant: County Of Los Angeles, 1110 N Eastern Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90063, Phone: (323) 267-3004, Fax: (323) 262-4607, Email: gpoon@isd.lacounty.gov
This is the station radio at L.A. County Fire Station 98. Mystery solved! Thanks.....

It's interesting to note that the licensed frequency has been relegated to tactical use for 20+ years. Station radios are on UHF.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back