License Plate

James Shao

PCS Life Member
Found this at an antique mall today. Any ideas as to which states have special hearse, ambulance or limo plates?

Attachments

• DSC06869-1.jpg
    DSC06869-1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 384
various states

(have already checked the above link to prior discussions).

The home I worked for here in FL had personalized tags on EVERY vehicle, i.e. Farly1 Farley2, 1Farley, 2Farley, DFarley etc. So they didn't use the hearse plate. I have a list somewhere that explains every license plate code in the history of plates in Florida. They are letter prefixes which have are no relation to the type of car. The letter(s) are preceded by the county code (in order of population way back when). Then the rest of the tag is the numerical sequence. A great thing here is that you can use a real license plate that matches the year of your car, and ignores the old policies. They have to physically see the plate in Tallahassee. They won't ok one that has been restored!!! (of course after it's certified no one cares).
In NH I liked the PLUS signs and had them on my personalized KL plate on my sexy Chevy Chevette when I lived there.

the state of SD has never issued one. privet companies use a commercial plate. here is a collection I'm thinking belonged to George. that was displayed at the 14 micro meet. south Dakota does have a ems adn firefighter tag along with there veterans tags but they are for personal use

Attachments

• IMG_5246a.jpg
    IMG_5246a.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 284
seen that one before don't believe it was ever issued. you can see it not been put on. but I'll tell you what I'll call the gal in Pierre that handles the antique tags and see. the color is right for 56 it may have been a one year thing or AMB may not be ambulance to the state of South Dakota

Last edited:
Right. Because the '56 example posted in original thread is obviously fake too, different number and all. :rolleyes:

2366027721_77e83e5a2f_o.jpg

Right. Because the '56 example posted in original thread is obviously fake too, different number and all. :rolleyes:

2366027721_77e83e5a2f_o.jpg

touchy touchy touchy!! I never said it was fake and stated that two different numbers means they were stamped that year. both of these examples show they we never mounted. there would be marks on the mount holes if they were. I will check Monday to resolve this. got to make out the bill of sale for the clam shell Buick I sold this weekend anyway so a trip to the court house and I'll get the number for the gal at the state house that handles these. we find a matching pair and a 56 car to put them on we could final use them. mean time both of these show they were never used.

made the call this afternoon and Anette filled me in these were state issued tags for SD. like vanity plates. you licensed you car in the county and could then for a additional fee buy this plate from the state. the AMB was used for Hearse or Ambulance. and they were on single issue tags for 53 to 56 and in the three tab years of 57,8and 9. then discontinued untell 73 when they were brought back with the letters AH in front of the numbers. then dropped again in 76 when the bicentennial tags came out. there is some debate whether or not they were the size of the truck plate in the first set of years. one would have to buy one to find out and 56 bucks is to rich for only one tag for me. the 52 tag is the same size as the truck tags in those set of years. anything with a T instead of a dot is a truck tag. all of these special tag would be issued in pairs. these were most likely bought to the novelty of them and never put on a. she did let me know that you could not re-plate a car with them today as they only allow county tags in the year of manufacture Historic plates. here are the colors and style of plates you should look for in them.

Attachments

• IMG_1540.jpg
    IMG_1540.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1542.jpg
    IMG_1542.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 76
and the newer set look like these. with the AH in place of the county numbers

Attachments

• IMG_1541.jpg
    IMG_1541.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 74