1953 FORD Hearse Photo

I'm wondering is that is the service car being used for removals? now me I loved this part. how long has it been since you saw one of these jeweled stop signs?

Attachments

• dead end.jpg
    dead end.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 145
I have been told the original stop signs were not red, and that there is some reason why these were jeweled, can anyone enlighten this confused Canadian:confused:

I have a fairly large collection of early embossed street signs. Most of the early embossed stop signs were yellow with the black borders. Not sure as to when then stopped using the jeweled embossed signs, but they sure bring big bucks today!

I remember seeing yellow ones in old photos, but in my lifetime, they've always been red. I've heard that red became standard to match the stop color of traffic lights.

And I have no idea about the jewels, but my assumption is that they were there for their reflective properties.

When I was a kid all stop signs were black and yellow. The Jeweled ones were used at high traffic intersections reflective tape and letters were not then what they are now. The last 25 years have seen big improvements in reflective material. Last jeweled signs I remember were in the 60s.

I have one stop sign that is yellow with black lettering, on the top it says "THRU STREET" then in big letters "STOP" then on the bottom it reads "POLICE ORDER" with a BIG red reflector on the bottom.

I would think that the jeweled signs stopped when reflective paint was coming out in the 60's ?

I know my 78 Horton has the words AMBULANCE in reflective paint on the side and rear

yes yellow and black, the jewels would reflect back at night. I remember tossing rocks at one every day as I walked to school. they were hard stuff. but the signage iIthought was correct for were it was.

Back