Help

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
we went out to do ine simple thing yesterday. change the glove box lock on the pinner. the button was missing so we needed a new one. the switch is pretty sloppy so found a set for a two door and have the locks the switch and glove box all keyed alike. put the glove box in as it is hanging open. but discovered that the catch is missing. I would thing it is just a wire but I have don't have a idea. my attempts to manufacture one came up with one nothing, the other get it close but it will not latch properly so it can't release. no amount of bending or adjust would let it open.

so we need to at least get a picture of one of locate one in a yard some were.
here was my attempts.

Attachments

• IMG_2018.jpg
    IMG_2018.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_2019.jpg
    IMG_2019.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 234
I reached out to some friends on a Chevy forum to see if I can locate one for you.

From my playing around I'm guessing it has to be flat were it catches. The round wire won't slide up the lock. Even a picture of what we need would get us on the right track.

will woke up with a clear head today figured it out. the latch was there just bent out of shape and I got a lock of a A body. for got that the El Camino in these years went to the Malabo body. leave it to GM to great a different hook for every body. all that was left of the original was the barrel, the hook and a bent spring. we were able to swap the hook to the good barrel with the trip tab still in place. then straighten out the latch. the only difference in the lock was the length of the hook. it only took one stab to get it set to the right angle so it would release. good thing I figures out how to get it open with out braking anything. now if e-bay could just lump all the glove box idem together. found a picture of the latch listed under full body. I was looking under Biscayne.

funny how a simple thing improves the appearance of the car. looking in there at that flopping glove box door was depressing.

Attachments

• IMG_2035.jpg
    IMG_2035.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_2036.jpg
    IMG_2036.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_2037.jpg
    IMG_2037.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2040.jpg
    IMG_2040.jpg