1974 S&S Professional Ambulance

David Henry

PCS Member
A week ago, I acquired a 1974 S&S Professional Ambulance from PCS Member Jamie Boles, a North Carolina Funeral Director. This car is very close to the first Cadillac Ambulance I worked in when I started EMS in 1976. So it has some sentimental ties already, bringing back memories. Although the colors have been changed from the original Diplomat Blue over Antigua Blue as it was delivered to the Ralston Volunteer Fire Co., of Rolston, PA it presents nicely in its current scheme.

Over the next couple of weeks it will be detailed, possibly a new front and rear headliner before fall and just general mechanical fine tuning and hitting the parade and car shows and most importantly the International PCS Meeting in August.

Anyone who has information to share on this car in particular or S&S literature, maintenance repair documents, etc for the 1974 year, please reach out. Also as always appreciate any helpful thoughts and suggestions.

Attachments

• 2857448B-4E86-413A-B4D4-0D29BBF18460.jpg
    2857448B-4E86-413A-B4D4-0D29BBF18460.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 496
  • C5431D1E-3569-4B0C-97C2-EEF7A32E3EF6.jpg
    C5431D1E-3569-4B0C-97C2-EEF7A32E3EF6.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 482
  • 9E8186DB-C3B9-48FE-8C8F-45C7EDC91520.jpg
    9E8186DB-C3B9-48FE-8C8F-45C7EDC91520.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 483
  • B1232FA5-01DB-4B1F-ACF4-DB8E2396DAA4.jpg
    B1232FA5-01DB-4B1F-ACF4-DB8E2396DAA4.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 476
  • 32B367AC-8A6B-493F-AC5A-708443FBB424.jpg
    32B367AC-8A6B-493F-AC5A-708443FBB424.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 483
  • FC762BFA-39D3-4102-8E4A-AAEEE8BA5B3F.jpg
    FC762BFA-39D3-4102-8E4A-AAEEE8BA5B3F.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 487
Not sure why a few of the pictures are sideways, there were all taken landscape :eek:

If you use a phone camera, this is often the result. You need to download the pictures to your desktop or laptop computer, and then transfer them to the website.
Paul
Senior Website Administrator

If you use a phone camera, this is often the result. You need to download the pictures to your desktop or laptop computer, and then transfer them to the website.
Paul

Paul,
I always down load to my computer and, for some reason with my new I-Phone 8, they are still turned some times when transferred to the website.

Great rig David! Glad to see that you got it!

Paul

This is true. What I do is once you get on them your computer. Right click and preview, then use the rotate button to turn them the right way. It will save after you close.

Congrats David. Sharp looking rig.

Always a plus when it hits a sentimental chord. Looking forward to seein additonal photos as the work proceeds.

Nice car! Wasn't this car Steve Loftin's at one time? For some reason I'm thinking he posted it in one of his "cars that I let go" posts awhile back, at least the pic of it when owned by the original owner looks familiar.

Congratulations David. The blue/white is a great colour combination. When you can please post some interior shots.

Paul,
I always down load to my computer and, for some reason with my new I-Phone 8, they are still turned some times when transferred to the website.

Great rig David! Glad to see that you got it!

This is a known iPhone issue (Apple speak for “design flaw”...which existed with my iPhone 4 up to my current iPhone 7 — and last — iPhone).

Few more Photos

Here are a few more photos and the interior. Will be getting a new Headliner front and rear middle of June...

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 192
  • Passenger Side.jpg
    Passenger Side.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 195
  • Interior Back Door.jpg
    Interior Back Door.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 196
  • Interior Bulkhead.jpg
    Interior Bulkhead.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 194
Make sure that they use a heavy vinyl just like was used originally. More difficult to work with, and it might cost you a little extra, but it will be worth it in the end. Also, make sure that if they are installing any zippers in the headlining, that they follow the exact procedure that was used by the body builder, when they sew them into the headliner. This is an important factor for longevity of the headliner.

You guys mention getting the "right stuff". They did not all use the same vinyl. For instance, the vinyl that Superior used was considerably thinner than what M-M used. I have never looked at the S&S headliner vinyl very closely. Looks more like what M-M used.

Last edited:
You guys mention getting the "right stuff". They did not all use the same vinyl. For instance, the vinyl that Superior used was considerably thinner than what M-M used. I have never looked at the S&S headliner vinyl very closely. Looks more like what M-M used.

I never said that all the body builders used the same material. What I specifically said was to make sure that they use the heavier vinyl. I know exactly what Miller Meteor used, and the roll of material that Ed has, was the material that I rejected for the headliner in my 1969 Miller Meteor because the color was wrong for my car and that it was a lighter gauge material than the original based on the sample that Ed sent to me at the time. I sourced the original weight vinyl material as used by Miller Meteor locally, and sent it out to him. I also own a 1978 Superior, and I know that the headliner in that car is the same gauge or extremely close to the same as what Miller Meteor used in 1969. I also have a 1962 Cottner Bevington, and that also has a similar material headliner as the 1969 and the 1978. I will also say that the 1963 Pinner Chrysler that I sold to Nick, has a very similar gauge of vinyl for that headliner.
Now, since I have pointed out, using the 4 cars that I own or owned, having similar gauge of vinyl, and I will agree that my experience is only a small sampling of your experience. Now, I will explain why the body builders didn't use a thinner gauge of vinyl. The reason is very simple... the bows were mounted high on the roof, and the material had to be pulled down at the sides and attached without tearing. This required using a heavier gauge of vinyl. I was at the auto upholstery shop on Monday, and was discussing a new headliner for one of my cars. I explained that I was going to get the material that I wanted to use. He reminded me that it has to be a heavier gauge of vinyl, for the reasons I just described above. Technically, vinyl is rated by the number of ounces per yard. The material that you refer to that Superior used being "considerably thinner than what M-M used", may be true, however, it was heavier than the vinyl material that was commonplace in automobiles of the time. Superior producing the least expensive vehicles, had to shave costs wherever they could, but they also had to work within the parameters of producing an automobile that functioned as designed. The cost of the headliner material is inconsequential compared to the labor cost to install the headliner, both back in the 1960's and today. Headliners are tedious work to get them looking correct, without wrinkles.
They don't keep me here because I am handsome, they keep me here because I am smart!! (thanks Judge Judy)... :D

Good looking ambulance! I remember seeing this car at the Int'l Meet in Kingsport, Tn, back in 2006. Best of luck with it.

Back