script

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
we are missing one of the script moldings off the 67 crown. been mulling over all the options as to how to make one and only coming up with big buck fixes.

but as luck would have it I broke a tooth just after the first of the year so we had to visit the dentist. I took the molding with me and asked him if he could make me a mold. so while the jaw got numb he mixed up some impression putty and after my repair gave the mold to me.

so now what. when we got back I decided to try some of the all metal rosin and aluminum power. it should set up hard enough be durable and printable. as they say first time for everything. it looks like we can get a light weight scrip out of it that I can glue in place. a little more clean up some brilliant silver paint and a clear coat it will look a lot better then holes.

Attachments

• IMG_5896.jpg
    IMG_5896.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_5898.jpg
    IMG_5898.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_5903.jpg
    IMG_5903.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_5904.jpg
    IMG_5904.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 162
Silly putty works too if you don't have a friendly Dentist around.
You can even make your own Silly Putty from liquid starch & white glue if your gob dried out.

If the aluminum compound you used is conductive electrically it can be powder coated very close to chrome in color.

For heavier molds there is Play Dough, which you can also make when you need it.

Bear in mind there is a slight size disparity from the original in this type of molding.

Those products would work for a one shot casting. You would just have to re make your impression each time. But simple enough task with them. I cleaned up this mold some but was still not able to get it to were you could just fill the letters. But the material is firm enough that one can sand it flat. I was just not wanting to do to much to it till I got one casting At least made. Now that we have done that we can play around some with out the fear of braking the mold. The silver nitrate coating would be as close to chrome plating as you can get, but right now it looks about like a 50 Year old base metal script.

I get a few of them cast and we can see what looks best. This product will not work with anything thick as it tends to shrink a lot in the cold. But at this thickness it holds up well.

........ or you could always use an Imperial script!

Attachments

• '67-'68 Crown Script.jpg
    '67-'68 Crown Script.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 140
Imperial offered a "Crown" trim level on their Coupes, sedans, and South Hamptons(4-door hdtps) from 1957 through 1969. They changed their "Crown" script numerous times during those 12 years.

Imperial offered a "Crown" trim level on their Coupes, sedans, and South Hamptons(4-door hdtps) from 1957 through 1969. They changed their "Crown" script numerous times during those 12 years.

Did any of them look like the one that Ed has posted, because I doubt that Armbruster had their own script manufactured, vs. purchasing one already made by a car manufacturer.

I have been looking for a used one now for a few years. they are just put on with barrel nuts but the owners keep standing to close. my guess is this script is a one year for superior. so I'm sure I could pay the big bucks for a used one as warn out as the only one I have and then another go round to have it plated. but what is the fun is that. I'm retired this is my winter excitement. tomorrow the temps are to be in the 60s so it roll the car out and do a little sand blasting and get back to work.

mean time I was able to do this with stuff I have in the shop and the help of my friendly Dentist. this is the stuff I filled the mold with it takes awhile to get hard so is flexible enough to get out with out braking . but the next day if you drop it it will. trust me on that one. here is the fruits of my labor.

Attachments

• IMG_5905.jpg
    IMG_5905.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_5908.jpg
    IMG_5908.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 111
Back