Ever hear of/see this '58 Miller Meteor?

A gentleman by the name of Robert in VA called asking if I knew anything. Long shot (as modified and most here would ignore) but worth posting in hopes Cary/Steve or someone else might have a more recent shot archived.

Black '58 Miller Meteor Landau endloader. Was a nice original coach damaged when a tree fell on the roof. The funeral home sold it to someone who proceeded to cut the rear roof off before sitting as an unfinished project (starting to sound familiar). Robert bought it and carefully considered how to make a usable vehicle once again. After researching and measuring many donors, a 1 ton International truck had a wide enough cab to finish the job. Ended up not being as simple as Robert had hoped. Grafting the 3 window cab backside on took over a month of nights and weekends to seamlessly blend using an oxyacetylene torch, fabricating filler pieces as needed. Robert finished off the (now exposed) rear section for use as a truck. The roof was then professionally painted black, matching original paint below the waistline.

Robert used his pride and joy sparingly as the level of quality turned out much nicer than envisioned. People loved it at car shows and cruise ins, many remarking that it looked factory made (early '50s roof on late '50s car look factory? huh). He'll look for a few pictures tucked away.

He lent the MM out to a friend who was going through tough times and they fell out of touch during that period. Turns out his friend was arrested for DUI on the highway just south of Cincinnati in Robert's truck which was impounded. By the time Robert found out months later, the MM had disappeared. This event happened in 1980 and he has been searching for whereabouts or demise ever since.

What a nice guy. Went through all of my saved files to find a few similar conversions, nothing fit. I suggested he contact Carl Woerner for starters, given location. Only other detail to add is that this MM had a 390. Robert spoke to the FD who confirmed purchasing new (Fall, '58) with a 390; original. Peculiar. Either Miller Meteor gave that FD a deal to get the '58 out or it was simply a 365?

Ring a bell with anyone?

Back