Garage recommendations

Jeff Hookway

PCS Life Member Elected Director
I am researching steel garages (Worldwide, Morton, Olympia) for a possible build later this year.

Anybody have recommendations or horror stories that might help in making a decision?

Thanks.
Jeff

Whatever you decide you need in size add more room. I did not own a procar when I built my detached garage. But still I built it planning on putting two small cars in end to end and have room for working around them. It turned out when I got a pro car I still had plenty of room. I still need more garage space though.

Check out these guys http://www.steelmasterusa.com/ they sell an excellent building & if you ask them what they have in overstock you can get a great deal on one someone cancelled out on. They have 100% useable space inside, no rafters, 75% of the work is done on the ground, and they have stood strong in winds over 200mph.

I was VERY impressed with mine. They come 3 sided with an open front so you can make the front however you want. Hired a couple neighborhood kids & the three of us built it in 2 days. You can also have insulation blown onto the interior if you want to heat it. They have skylight panels available too.

metal-building-garage-metal-building-a-model.jpg

If you buy one, please tell them I sent you!

Check out these guys http://www.steelmasterusa.com/ they sell an excellent building & if you ask them what they have in overstock you can get a great deal on one someone cancelled out on. They have 100% useable space inside, no rafters, 75% of the work is done on the ground, and they have stood strong in winds over 200mph.

I was VERY impressed with mine. They come 3 sided with an open front so you can make the front however you want. Hired a couple neighborhood kids & the three of us built it in 2 days. You can also have insulation blown onto the interior if you want to heat it. They have skylight panels available too.

metal-building-garage-metal-building-a-model.jpg

If you buy one, please tell them I sent you!

That is one nice garage....

Not to hijack this thread, but the Steelmaster garages are unique as you build the arches on the ground. Each arch is 2' wide, so you build 5 - 6 of them at a time & then stand them up, overlap the seams & drop in the bolts. The hardest part of the build is that the foundation is a little more time consuming than normal, before you pour your concrete you make a form out of wood so that when the concrete is poured it makes an indented "channel" in the concrete for the building to stand in. This channel adds a nice feature, all water runs out the end & doesn't seep into the building when it rains.

I rigged up a hoist in my old truck for ease when standing up each arch, just two steel poles & a crossbar with a pulley @ the top (stuck down into the holes in the bed sides). Check out their site they offer alot of different styles, from the A-series pictured to a more traditional quanset-hut (military) design. You can get different sidewall heights as well. As I said the best deals are their overstock buildings... back in 1998 I bought a 30' x 34' building for $2500 DELIVERED! They even sent a frame & header for a door opening (as well as the panels to close it in) since I was butting it up against an existing garage & didn't need the rear of the building enclosed at all. What I liked most was that there are no rafters, poles, or anything else in your way, it's all useable space inside & VERY strong. Everything is aluminized steel.

NOTE: BE SURE to get your building permit APPROVED before ordering ANY steel building! All-steel buildings are typically NOT permitted within city limits. I took the plans, survey, and all Steelmaster blueprints & info with me, got my permit approved, built the building, and then zoning showed up & said I had 72 hours to tear it down a few months later. I presented my permit & had them check THIER records, and got a nasty letter saying it could stay since they overlooked the material list & pictures, but they weren't pleased. The foundation I did is recommended, but you can also just sit it on a concrete pad & they provide you with a mounting system.

As a former customer I get $100 for every referral I send them that buys a building (supposedly) LOL!

Last edited:
Dwayne, what does Bucky-Rust have against steel buildings? Just be glad you don't live in some Moron-Ville such as Oakwood, the posh south Dayton suburb, where anal-retentiveness is a requirement for residency. Park your Mercedes-Bends an inch too far from the curb, and prepare for a citation. Neighboring Kettering is similarily enlightened. Sigh..............

Dwayne, what does Bucky-Rust have against steel buildings? Just be glad you don't live in some Moron-Ville such as Oakwood, the posh south Dayton suburb, where anal-retentiveness is a requirement for residency. Park your Mercedes-Bends an inch too far from the curb, and prepare for a citation. Neighboring Kettering is similarily enlightened. Sigh..............

This was MARION, Ohio my friend! Can you believe that cestpool of a town had a problem with neighborhood improvements? This is the same town where when you live in the area I did (nicknamed "little harlem") you had to watch for the local deadbeats walking down the street on their way to the carry-out & pull the door down quick so they didn't scope out your shop for future crimes, ask you for pills, or proposition you. Lived there 13 years & never looked back when the chance to escape presented itself! My current home & shop is an old factory with room for 30-plus procars... now if I can just get the owner to sell it... love it here
3533119052_e05b1cf9d8_o.jpg

(Jim, I was by your place this past weekend in the hearse but you wasn't around... bummer!)

Damn, you have it made!!!! GREEN with envy my friend. :snow_smi:

Thanks Richard! It's 40' x 320' I think... give or take somewhat on the length. They used to cast those big cast-iron tractor seats here back in the day, after that it was a brake line factory for trucks, the WIC office for the city, a chop-shop, an antique shop... then I came along LOL!

Since you want SNOW Richard, come on up, Jim & I can accomidate you! I have some winter pix somewhere...

one more you might look into is http://www.dreamscarports.com/ they stated 6500 for me a 18x26 with a 8 foot door, insulated and put up. but I to am wondering around the city. they are demanding I set it on a foundation not on the existing slab. things have gotten way to tight even here. these were designed as a plunk down building the only need for concrete is to keep them from blowing away. but it's a garage and the "code"
says you must. build a car port it would be OK. enclose it you must have a foundation.

Snow

Thanks Richard! It's 40' x 320' I think... give or take somewhat on the length. They used to cast those big cast-iron tractor seats here back in the day, after that it was a brake line factory for trucks, the WIC office for the city, a chop-shop, an antique shop... then I came along LOL!

Since you want SNOW Richard, come on up, Jim & I can accomidate you! I have some winter pix somewhere...

Dwayne why dont You guys buy Richard a Snow making machine. they are made in Midland. MI
LOL

Russ

Dwayne why dont You guys buy Richard a Snow making machine. they are made in Midland. MI
LOL

Russ

I would love that anytime of the year especially now. It is already so freaking hot here. Come visit Florida now PCS people and you will get a better grasp as why MICHIGAN is better!.

:myopinion:

Isn't this better....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XSLOQOd2LY&feature=related[/ame]

I do like those metal buildings such as the one pictured earlier, However I live in Western New York and have seen a few (I do NOT know the manufaturers) that have collapsed under snow load.
Dana Bennett.

Back