model of my 74

W David Bessant

PCS Member
Hello everyone, I am wondering what model of Cadillac my coach is...you can see the picture in my avatar...it is a 74 Superior 3way. Is it a Calais? a Fleetwood? or a DeVille or even a Coupe de Ville? how can one tell. I only ask because I want to buy a hood insulation blanket for it and want the exact right one and not have to cut it to size. I am not as handy as Ed Renstrom and that is for sure.

Thank you all
Dave :)

That is not correct. The '73 and '74 Cadillac hoods are interchangeable with each other and unique to those 2 years.

'75 and '76 interchange with one-another and unique to those 2 years.

AHH yes you are correct Kurt but the underside of the hood is the same its the front that is different. So I think you will find hood pads are the same for four years.This was done cause the GIVERNMENT got into bumper design and GM redid the frontal area.

so they are all Fleetwoods I imagine? :) and I can get any 1974 hood pad...they'd all be the same...any recommendations though? ( and thank you too ).

Dave

Last edited:
They are not Fleetwoods, they are not deVilles, they are not Calais, they are not Series 75s.

They are Cadillac's Commercial Chassis, but as Pete said...... all '74 RWD Cadillacs are the same from the firewall forward.

The commercial chassis is just a stripped down car as far as trim levels go, however, they are the same basic Cadillac car from the dashboard forward. When ordering mechanical parts, it is best to refer to it as a DeVille, since many of the parts catalogs don't recognize commercial chassis. Items such as brakes, have some common Cadillac parts, and also have some that are specific to the commercial chassis, such as the drums, rotors, wheel studs, return springs to mention a few. The exhaust is the same up till the first muffler, and from there back, it is commercial chassis specific. Same for the differential, it is specific to the commercial chassis.
On the body, it depends on the body builder from the cowl rearward, since every body builder built the car to their own specifications. This is important to keep in mind, because door glass, moldings, etc. usually aren't interchangeable between body builder brands.

Dave

I have one brand new in the wrapper I can mail you tomorrow. You will have it Thursday.

Give me a call at 416-729-9696 to give me your address, etc. if you want it.

I had a '76 Cadillac hearse I sold before getting it installed.

Let me know,
Darren

or give rubber the right way a call and just tell them you need a under hood pad for a 74 full size Cadillac. Darren's is a better buy

Back