Pass Keys issues

Just a tip that may or may not work. Recently with my 96 S&S Cadillac I had flashing of "Passkey Fault" light while driving then we progressed to starting and shutting down after about 30 seconds and finally cranking but not starting at all. After doing some research one suggestion was disconnect battery for 24 hours. Did it and Passkey has not been heard from since.

PassKey

I have had Passkey issues with my 95 Cadillac,and I have found once they begin they just kind of irritate you to no end......so with that I had the PassKey system by-passed...havent had one issue since....;)

Here's a little tip on pass key. Found this out on my '94, take a q-tip and rubbing alcohol and clean the ignition cylinder. What's happening is the reader is getting dirty and losing contact with the key.

pass key

spray electrical contact cleaner in the tumbler (key) slot. can of air (like you clean your keyboard with) sprayed afterwards. works. used car lot remedy.

I have had this problem with a '96 Cad limo. Actually I was having several problems that at times would mask over the underlying issue. In the beginning the Antitheft Module was beginning to fail. It would shut the car down some days and other days it worked properly. Then the battery failed one morning just a couple hours before the car was to be used on a funeral, I sent it to a garage for a new battery to be installed. Then the pass key fault light would come on and off as the car was being driven. I sent it to an auto electric shop to have the system in their words "jumpered". They measured the resistance in the key and installed a resistor to "jump" the system.
Occasionally the car would just take a notion to not start, usually when I needed it the most! I then sent it to another garage and they verified that the electric shop had correctly measured the resistance and installed the proper resistor so the Pass Fault System was disabled. They then began a long investigation of the entire electrical system. They determined that the battery installer had installed a 700CCA battery which is 150CCA less than specs call for. (its 770 on a standard Cadillac and 850 on a Commercial Chassis).They replaced the battery with a 850CCA then installed a ByPass devise like the one mentioned above.
Lessons learned here: 1-Proper battery is a must. 2-See that the proper resistance is used in the "jumper" 3-investigate the Anti Theft Module 4-use competent repair shops.

Is this the same problem Richard Vyse was having with his,couldn't find his post but seems he went through the wringer till he got it corrected.

What is this "dollar bill" you speak of?

Pat - I had a 96 Corvette with a random pass key issue and when it happened I'd take a dollar bill out of my wallet rub the key vigorously several times and it always cured the problem - got the tip from a mechanic

Back