1942 Henney-Packard Funeral Coach / Hearse

42 Henney-Packard

Although I am not a hearse guy,I could make an exception to this one !!
Very nice coach with great lines....will be exquisite when restored :)

To me this is a coach with terrific potential. When one thinks of the ambulances discussed here that "could be done", no comparison. Hopefully a member can find it a home.
Would be nice to know its history.

You certainly don't see many of these - or, for that matter, any 1942 models. Especially in this shape. This is a 4290 Series Henney-Packard based on a Packard Eight (One-Twenty) Series 2001-A commercial chassis. It is a Model 4299 - end-loading landaulet - and sold for $2,700 when new. In this war-shortened year, Henney built 804 coaches on the One-Twenty commercial chassis and another 50 on the top-of-the-line Super Eight-based 2003-A commercial chassis. Rare is the best word to adequately describe this vehicle.

RARE, COMPLETE and within reach of a DECENT RESTORATION !!!
and can be had for 5.00 more than that '59 rust bucket that sold this week for 29,995.00 !!!

Now where are the smart ones with some extra cash ?

Darren

:thumbsup:

RUST!! Actually what listed is common in the era. Battery box = overcharge battery boils over acid leaks on box ROT! Side mount bottoms = leaves and dirt collects under tire holds rain and wash water never dries out spares never pulled and cleaned out equals ROT! Would doubt any frame rot as issues above were common in these cars day.

I am really surprised that no one has grabbed this coach yet. It still has its original mohair interior that hasn't been screwed up by someone replacing it with burgundy velvet! The Mohair on the side panels looks amazingly good! It just needs the Mohair on the floor replaced. I have enough burgundy mohair to do the floor, but no room at the inn!

Last edited:
It is a manual transmission according to the listing. The tip off is the clutch pedal.

Yeh, saw it Paul, in the close-up pictures. I was saying that the older Coaches (in general) are not as desirable/ saleable with the manual transmission as the later ones with an Automatic (not to mention, Power Steering!). As then, anybody can drive it. I am still amazed how many younger folks we run across that do not know how to shift a 'three-on-the-tree' column shift.
I had a '54 Henney Nu-3-Way Coach several years ago that had the problematic UltraGlide replaced with a transplanted Fully Automatic Transmission. Have to say, I found out quickly why it was said, "Ask The Man Who Own's One". Those Packards are cruisers.

You would have thought in the 12+ years since it was for sale last they could have at least put a headlight in it. Either that, these are old pix.

My 2cents...

You would have thought in the 12+ years since it was for sale last they could have at least put a headlight in it. Either that, these are old pix.

By the fact, part of the list of stuff that goes with it is..
"1 headlight bucket, ......,.........,. drivers interior fender," makes one wonder if it was never attached because - it CAN'T be attached (rusted out)?
'$30,000': There's an old saying "a fool and his money are soon parted". Bottom-line, this is one of those Coaches you better fly to survey, or hire somebody competent to look the car over, as you can't buy a car from photo's or a brief description. For me; for starters: the grille could be an issue. 'Looks like' Pot Metal, I can't imagine bending it back- have to be replaced (and this year Packard is uncommon). I found most Packard parts were a bear to find.
The Chrome, Stainless, and other Pot Metal items could easily run $12,000 to redo.The Mohair, Kurt mentioned, is 74 years old. May look good in the pix but, it will smell and the mice have already moved-in, & been at work. Some could be saved?, but, there's a bunch left. The Dash, Ed may have experience at re-doing but, having faux wood done RIGHT is a real talent. Mechanical: $5,500-8,000+. Leather might be saved but, it will be stiff and old. Body, Paint & Rust repair, done by a Pro, would be $30k-50k minimum (I've restored several to date). Prices vary, versus area coach is restored, (especially, if you can do-it-yourself) but, overall- it's getting more and more expensive. Not unusual to spend $1100 on paint product alone for these behemoths :eek:
Still, that being said: One of the Most Beautiful Bodied Coaches I've seen...and, a worthy project.

I remember seeing someone mention that their material cost for paint, clear and the associated additives was $2038, that was not including primer, sealer, filler or anything else, just the paint and clear.

$100.00 dollars won't buy you much at the parts store any more. one thing that has not dropped at the price of petrol products have is paint products. they are high. makes you kind of nerviness when you pick up a gallon can you just payed 300 bucks for and try to pour it in a quart container. then when you know your not buying the top of the line either it really puts it in perspective.

I know most shops are set up for base clear operations but I still don't like that look on a older car it just ain't natural

The grill on the 1942 Senior (early style) in stamped not die cast (pot metal) but they are very rare. The more modern Clipper series is all die cast in the grill and does not interchange with the other series. The center grill is the same 41 and 42. This Coach probably does not have overdrive it fits for quite a few years and should not be hard to find. By adding overdrive it will become a fine tour car and cruise the interstate a 70 plus MPH.

Back