Oops...

I am not an expert, and I am sure there is someone here that could weigh in that is much more knowledgeable than me, but over the years, most rear end damaged hearses seem to never see service again...

Must be a new breed of funeral directors, most I knew in the old days would cringe if everything on the coach was not perfect,learned that when I let the back door on a coach slam with a one handed push:eek:

Might have one the can use for parts. Its most likely worth more at auction then for scrap. You can bet they penciled it out.

I have followed this posting and would ask is there an insurance carrier involved or are the owners self insured for collision/property damage/liability or any part there of ?

I keep up with the SCI mini auction page, and I view most things they are auctioning as worn out and problematic. However, they had one the other day that I was surprised at, '08 Medalist, I think it had 70,000 miles, black over black (urrr, blackwall tires), no problems, in Southport, NC, and went for $8700.00... I could be wrong about the mileage, I just remember looking at it and thinking it needed a set of whitewall tires to set the black off...

They may be self insured for liability and would also have excess carrier for once the self insured retention was reached. Depending on the insurance regulation for the state most ID cards would list the carrier for the excess and not the self insured. As far as the physical damage [collision/comprehensive] they could be self insured by not carrying collision/comprehensive. If the coach is being sent out for repairs regardless of coverage or not it sounds like its the most cost effective method VS replacement.

Here in Pa. at least if self insured the card will say same excess liability is not mentioned. If they self insure their collision then that would not be indicated on the card as all the states care about is Liability. In the case of my dealer tags we carry two million liability and any vehicle on the lot or being driven has $75000.00 limit for collision and comp. with $1000.00 deductible. Insurance for any car business or transportation dead or alive is tough. My Godson runs a Special Ed. school transportion business and his insurance is almost $100k a year and the vehicles are not used for three months of the year. SCIs insurance has to be mind boggling.

Posting of a bond is almost always a requirement for self insured in all states. Our clients are very large and the cost of a bond for $1mil to $10 mil is way less than conventional dollar one coverage with a deductible. But we are starting to get off track about this crash. I was just curious about their collision coverage.

why would they have any. with these cars that risk would be low. coverage for the fleet would be way more then a car or two a year they may need to replace.

Back