'68 M-M Combo In FL

splash a little silver paint on the bottom and you would have a nice car. spend a day or two detailing the engine room and you would have a great car.

looks like they did the cover up on the missing Kringle top with black then clear coated it. so now it has way to much shine

Morroco Tops

Kurt, I know you like those MM's but, I can offer this: Superior offered a 'crackle' (dull) painted roof somewhere in 1961 and also a "Morocco",( shinier finish) which they touted "needed no washing or polishing". It would resemble a Vinyl Top with dressing applied (like Armorall). So, I have to assume the other Coachbuliders followed suit. By the language in the listing, "base coat/clear coat", it appears someone created their own version-maybe a little too shiny*. I did this recently on a beautiful 32,000 mile '67 S&S Vic and it was great to eliminate that vinyl top. Not to mention the cost, as to do it 'right' you really have to remove the chrome (ss) on the outside, which requires pulling the sides down from inside (nightmare). *His interpretation almost looks like GatorCoat with clear over!
Ed's comment about "splash of paint", in my eyes, would be about all you get for "$2500" complete paint unless its Johnnie & Mack by The RR Track type paintwork.
I just drove by Hooper FH recently and they keep their coaches under a carport so, I don't know about 'garage kept'. I could swear I see several cracks in the windshield on my monitor but, one (pass.side) may just be a large rust or soap drip.
Willing to bet under those SS Rockers is a full line of rust just like around the perimeter of the doors, or worse. The crushed door panel (pass.side) is another indicator of water intrusion. The rusted bier pins have me thinking 'water intrusion' but only a personal inspection would tell all.
Ed might remember that Bias Ply double WW tire (spare) being proper for 1968 but, I don't think "its the original". I remember Cadillac offering a two-tone, yellow and white whitewall for insane money in the Cadillac showrooms in 1968(Schooley Cadillac /P.B.) but I can't imagine too many FD's ponying up for a set ($800-1100+/-).
That coach has a lot of redeeming features (style/beauty)... If the rust can be dealt with. Inverness is well into North Central FL so, its not like a beach or salt belt car. A set of nice, Used drapes would make a huge diff. too. These sure are hard to find really nice. Reminds me of an old saying my friend... cave at emptor. But,if you HAVE to have it, I live about 1.5 hours from the seller.

Ed might remember that Bias Ply double WW tire (spare) being proper for 1968 but, I don't think "its the original". I remember Cadillac offering a two-tone, yellow and white whitewall for insane money in the Cadillac showrooms in 1968(Schooley Cadillac /P.B.) but I can't imagine too many FD's ponying up for a set ($800-1100+/-).

If the spare was original it would be a 890-15. I've never seen a 890-15 with a yellow and white WW. With that being said I don't think this is the original spare anyway. The white wall looks incorrect for 1968. Looks to me to be the 71-76 style.

The tires you remember are the Vogue Tire....

CBR8-Hero_500px.png

the duel strip white wall was standard caddy they offered them both ways nerrow stripe in or out. I can't till you what year was offered in what. that one looks to be a 890x15 original spare or at least a 30 year old replacement.

that set of years MM did a poor job of fitting there door skins. you would find the out skin over the drain holes of the doors. causing them to fill with water and run into the inside. they all have at least one door that is that way.

the rust under the rocker was normal GM problem for that fender. it is bigger then it looks and most likely the others side is about ready to go.

like any medical condition you can't escape family history . this car looks like any other un restored MM in this set of years.

you either like them or not. to move this car up to a senor car status would run you around 8000 + labor

to make a decent driver driver would be fix the rust and repaint. the lower half. depending on what you can do your self any were from a grand to around 6000 depending on were you live and what you want.

the nice part of these MM is there is not a lot of chrome almost all the trim is stainless steel. that will drop your restored expenses a lot if it's all there and is not damaged. knowing it still at a funeral home I would not hesitate to get it if I was looking for one.

Listing Pulled

:beatdeadhorse5:
Last night I found two B&W photo's or illustrations of the MM with the Vogue Tires, or pin wall / narrow whitewall tires. Couldn't find them in any other Coachbuilders Brochures. One larger pix was discovered on the Cadillac-LaSalle data base under ProCars and another (same pix smaller?) on page 261 of McPherson's Miller Meteor book. The Vogue Tires were offered in the Cadillac showrooms so, the extra cost 'Optional' Vogues must have been 8.20x 15's according to the 'Standard Catalog of Cadillac 1903-1990'. The L78x15 would have been comparable to a 9.00x15. I found one website that sells Vogues now for $187 per in the largest size (28.5").
Also duly noted that car is/was for sale by a dealer (see lic.plate) in Kissimmee, not the Hopper Funeral Home in Inverness. It was not "leather' as touted in the listing- it is embossed Vinyl. Agree with Ed that it would cost thousand$ to make that coach whole and it's all relative to where you are in the Country & the quality of the finished product. Will be interesting to see if it gets re-listed, as it was pulled before it expired for 'an error in the listing'. Perhaps, it actually 'sold'.

Back