Newbie commercial chassis question

I apologize in advance if this is a ridiculous question:

Did makes other than Cadillac supply commercial chassis? I have always wondered what Superior started with to create Pontiac ambulances/hearses (or Comet/C-B with Olds pro cars, for that matter). I do not see any break out of commercial chassis in Pontiac/Olds production figures in the 50s-70s like with Cadillac.

Welcome Kent! Your question will be answered, I am certain of it. As you may soon find out, there is lots of knowledge here and we have truly got some experts among us. Rather than offer half an answer, I will defer to the men who know.

Only two companies made a real commercial chassis that I am aware of Cadillac and Packard. Other companies in many cases supplied an "incomplete vehicle" this was usually with an incomplete interior and heavier suspension larger tires etc to help compensate for the extra weight of the Pro Car conversion. Packard and Cadillac both supplied a factory built limo and they again were not a streched passenger car but a special limo chassis and body.

So now I am really curious… Did Packard supply the front clip on its commercial chassis to Henney with a heightened fenderline/firewall in 48-50, or did Henney reverse-section the clip, like Flxible did on postwar Buick hoods/firewalls?

C B was the only other manufacture to build a one piece center section not just a cut and splice. not that up on the Henny process so i will leave that up to others that know. Of course all bets are off when you get into teens and twenties cars. As those were the days of shopping for chassis here, engines there transmissions some were else. And simply assimbling a hearse from pares from different manufactures

Pinner didn't do a cut and splice, they purchased whole cars, and used the nose and cowl, plus the floor pan, modified the doors by adding length, and built the entire rest of the car from scratch. My former 1963 Pinner Chrysler was built from the floor up, and they also cut the unibody, and sectioned in an additional 20 or 24 inches. Certainly, if they could have purchased a commercial chassis, it would have been a lot less work for them.

This is all great stuff. Loving it. I would love to see photos of non-Cadillac vehicles delivered to coach builders to see what they started with.

I believe there were a set of shots of Bucks arriving at the flexible plant in the club Magazine. but then look a lot like the newer shots for the accubuilt plant. basically driving but incomplete cars

Attachments

• 2004 Lincon as shipped to accubuilt.jpg
    2004 Lincon as shipped to accubuilt.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 136
Back