3 hearse accident in Charlotte

3-hearse crash slows I-77

A three-hearse collision caused delays Saturday afternoon on Interstate 77 north near the Remount Road exit in Charlotte.

According to N.C. Highway Patrol Trooper B. Jolly, the three hearses were with a group called “Carolina Coffin Cruisers.” They were headed to Greensboro for a car show and had coffins inside the vehicles as Halloween decorations.

Jolly says two of the three hearses slammed into one another, causing a chain reaction. A passenger vehicle also collided with the third hearse.

Traffic was slow moving as bewildered drivers passed the collision. A Department of Transportation camera showed at least one hearse with a large dent in the rear.

“It was certainly the first time I’ve ever seen three hearses involved in a car accident,” said Trooper Jolly in a phone interview with NBC Charlotte.

No one was seriously injured, and no citations were issued.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/10/13/3596000/3-hearse-crash-slows-i-77.html#storylink=cpy

Hey Mark, do you know any of the people involved?

Seems like the article left at least a few details out. I wonder what caused the accident in the first place. "...two of the three hearses slammed into one another..." Mechanical problems, another vehicles fault, the list could go on. I am sure that if these guys were heading to a car show with their show vehicles, they wouldn't be driving haphazardly. But, that is also an assumption on my part. Wish we knew more.

Of course, the newspaper is only interested in the fact that it was 3 hearses and not 3 Chevy Cavaliers. An accident involving 3 sedans just doesn't make as interesting of an article.

Hope everyone is ok and hope the damage isn't too extensive.

I was in the accident. We were headed to the Woods of Terror in Greenboro NC from Charlotte. We were suppose to meet some other club members there. After we got our hearses moved, we still went to the Woods of Terror we needed to get our minds off the accident.This is from my view point of the accident.
I always try to keep a few car length between me and anybody while driving a hearse. People will cut between you if you leave them room. I was the last one of the three. I saw Darrell taillights and I slammed on brakes, but there is no way I was going to stop. I hit Darrell and expected there to be cars behind me piling up. Only the car behind me hit me. I looked up and Darrell was in the left lane and I was stopped beside Thomas. I don't know how we ended up how we did. The SUV that hit me was in front of both of us when she stopped. Darrell was in the middle, but he came out the best, with a small dent in his right front fender and a dent in his loading door. My hearse needs a new front end (hood fenders, bumper, grill, and lights) and driver's side rear fender has a dent, loading door has dent (still able to open) and driver's side rear bumper and taillight will need to replaced. Thomas' driver rear door took the worst of it.

61164_10151137302429121_1477966504_n.jpg

65498_10151137302889121_104090157_n.jpg

Already sourced a clean '73 front clip in NC for Josh and located a nice '65-'70 left bumper blade that can be modified to take reverse light. :eek:

Again, glad you guys are all okay. Don't stress about Abby too badly. It'll just take time to get her healed. ;)

Sorry to see your hearse all busted up Josh, hope to see you have her put back together soon! Really feel for ya bud, I know how much that coach means to you

My stomach hit the floor after seeing those pictures of Abbie:puke2::cry:. Glad to hear Atti has located you a front clip close by. Check with Carl on that rear load door too. He just got in a wrecked 72 M-M LT that has a good load door, bumper and other parts as well. Need any help let me know as well.

Back