continuing holiday procar hunt 'tradition'

On 12/23/10 I was fortunate enough to revisit a TX property after foliage had finally died off. How many vehicles can you spot in this panoramic?

dsc01998up.jpg

You can imagine how difficult seeing anything is most of the year...

PCS member Nicholas Yassan had been gently prodding, wanting this nice solid all original navy '58 Series 60 Fleetwood. Finding it's location was the culmination of several months research.

dsc01879vm.jpg

Ultimately, this stainless behemoth beauty didn't pan out. Going provided an opportunity to view this Miller better however so it was a good trip.

dsc01977a.jpg

This coming Tuesday, 12/20/11- a new holiday tradition technically becomes established: Viewing a hidden collection the week of Xmas! :winterrules:

8 months of diligent effort has gone into locating owner, making contact, planning logistics, and coordinating this trip. I've invited a handful of others with a variety of interests to join this time for an enjoyable experience. 6 people (maybe 7) will converge from 3 different states for a day of preliminary scouting on what parts (and parts cars) may be usable among 1400-1500 rusting relics.

There should be 7-8 procars in the bunch. Among them a '46-'48 Dodge ambulance, '63 Superior, '64 Eureka 3-way, and this '60 Superior Royale limo style combination shown in a different thread:

dsc04335b.jpg

At the very least you know I'll load up on pics. Fingers crossed it stays dry until Wednesday, as forecast predicts.

More tentative procar info trickled in today as the date draws nearer:

-'46-'48 Dodge ambulance
-'60 Superior Royale limo style combination
-2x '62 Superior limo style
-'63 Superior limo style (may be Sovereign)
-'64 Eureka landau 3-way
-'65? Superior high top ambulance
-'70s high top ambulance

Exhausted after a super long productive day hunting. Figured a short update will suffice before crashing, then uploading dozens of pics tomorrow.

2 people cancelled last minute, 7 still went.

The previous list, actual vehicle/corrections in bold:

-'46-'48 Dodge ambulance '41-'42 Miller Cadillac combination
-'60 Superior Royale limo style combination
-2x '62 Superior limo style 2x '61 Superior Royale limo style combinations
-'63 Superior limo style (may be Sovereign) '63 Superior Royale limo style combination
-'64 Eureka landau 3-way '64 Eureka landau endloader
-'65? Superior high top ambulance *gone*
-'70s high top ambulance '73ish Superior 54

There was also:

-'67-'68 Series 75 formal limo
-'68ish Miller Meteor endloader
-'73ish Miller Meteor endloader
-'74 Miller Meteor endloader
-'80s Cadillac formal limo

Panoramic previews. This is a residential backyard:

dsc07718t.jpg

The front yard? You guessed it:

dsc07785n.jpg

Otherworldly landscape hiding *dozens* of cars on another property:

dsc07838xc.jpg

Last shot eerily similar to yard a year ago even though they're 1500 miles apart!

Rain held off and although overcast mostly, pics came out decent. I'll say up front that some cars and parts are already spoken for, which I will mention along the way. Part of what we scouted is a junkyard that closed in '90 or '91 with hundreds of '50s-'60s units. There were many odd/rare vehicles that are virtually unseen in yards anymore (of which a select handful will be included here).

Honestly don't know where pricing is going to come in on anything as owner has been very reasonable with some and not so much with others. In short, let me know if you see needed parts anywhere. I'm touching base with a list tonight for owner to mull prices over holidays.

There is so much to cover that I don't know where it is best to start. May as well save best for last though, right?

First two Miller Meteors are thoroughly whipped. If someone wants to peg year/models, great.

dsc07724n.jpg

dsc07725z.jpg

dsc07874b.jpg

dsc07875w.jpg

This '74 Miller Meteor is owned by one of those that went yesterday. He doesn't use it much anymore and when asked if available, he said yes for about $2500. Given amount of nicer '70s coaches on market in that range already, he may sit on it at that price.

dsc07902q.jpg

dsc07903kxo.jpg

dsc07904c.jpg

dsc07905.jpg

Our communal thoughts pinned this to a '41-'42 Miller, going off interior use of trim in bunches of 3 and that it was a civil defense unit (although I neglected taking a picture of that logo). There were no badges.

After glancing through Miller Meteor book this morning, it could be a '46. Tough IDing when so little remains.

dsc07726u.jpg

dsc07727on.jpg

dsc07728k.jpg

dsc07729p.jpg

dsc07739uj.jpg

dsc07740f.jpg

dsc07732.jpg

dsc07741b.jpg

Based on a rot free-standpoint, this one can actually be built. It was one of the better body tubs and chassis viewed here. Yeah yeah yeah....there are too many pieces missing. I've seen much worse starting points though.

'59 Coupe DeVille:

dsc07689d.jpg

'59 Imperial Crown LeBaron Southampton:

dsc07688w.jpg

'59 Pontiac wagon:

dsc07764.jpg

'60 Plymouth Sport Fury:

dsc07862j.jpg

'56(?) Chrysler Windsor wagon. Think this had 3rd row seating, whole rear floor was folded flat, and had a nice shape vintage Coca-Cola machine in back. Too cool:

dsc07761c.jpg

'57(?) Plymouth Suburban Custom:

dsc07831s.jpg

Couple of Edsels:

dsc07829p.jpg

dsc07833w.jpg

Pair of '61 Superior Royale limo style 604s. I'll never fully comprehend the seemingly common desire to fill coaches with parts that don't rust, like stainless hubcaps.

dsc07696y.jpg

Lots of good glass!

dsc07698u.jpg

Still has very hard to find Superior-specific combination rollers.

dsc07699k.jpg

2nd coach was on different property.

dsc07858u.jpg

dsc07855z.jpg

More good corner glass.

dsc07850c.jpg

Have a hunch that jump seat upholstery is still nice, mainly hidden away from elements for decades.

dsc07852m.jpg

Sort of wanted to fully uncover this. One of only a couple cars kept inside all these years.

dsc07788i.jpg

Yoinks! Ditch sucked on of our vehicles in.

dsc07789n.jpg

Superior 54 is toasted. I'll differ year to others here. From once transporting body donors to now being a parts donor. Full circle.

dsc07791f.jpg

dsc07792t.jpg

dsc07793x.jpg

dsc07794l.jpg

Just a couple cars away... Can't believe this engine was still in the Caddy.

dsc07886s.jpg

dsc07890d.jpg

'63 Superior Royale limo style combination has many good parts/glass.

dsc07803jp.jpg

dsc07801t.jpg

dsc07800b.jpg

I particularly liked the peculiar shade of green used. It sticks out.

dsc07805j.jpg

One year only Superior license plate surround. Ask Russ Austin how hard it was for him to find one.

dsc07891x.jpg

dsc07796i.jpg

Yet another good '59-'64 windshield.

dsc07893v.jpg

Must have been a sight to see in service with all these roof holes. Definitely was more laid out than most combinations!

dsc07892v.jpg

Well, the '60 Superior limo style combination isn't *too* far gone to restore. Not much significant rot. There were 3 '60 Superior owners going over this together, comparing thoughts and details - which was really fun! Our plan is to buy this and divide 3 ways, as each of us can use different portions.

dsc07704.jpg

dsc07705u.jpg

If Ian Marr still needs curtain rods for is '60 Crown, they're here.

dsc07706v.jpg

At least two of the combinations never had rollers. Why can't I find a coach piled with skeleton racks instead of hubcaps for a change???

dsc07710z.jpg

Pretty basic Superior to has the optional quarter stainless.

dsc07711x.jpg

Of course more '59-'60 Superior corner glass would come to Papa...

dsc07712z.jpg

Compare this shot with the initial one taken about 20 years ago in same spot.

dsc07713x.jpg

Finding these skirts hidden inside completely floored me. Ask Brady to verify how unbelievably rare there are. Doesn't bother me one bit that they need a little work!!!

dsc07708d.jpg

Creme of the crop, pick of the littler, hands down, goes to this '64 Eureka landau endloader. Yes, it obviously needs a driver side door skin, rear loading door rust repair, and a passenger front fender, but this is clearly deserved of a restoration given rarity and level of completeness! Turns out the person that told me about this coach didn't recall condition properly, as it has drivetrain and front clip. Even the keys were on the dash under a perfect windshield, obscured between hubcaps.

There are two PCS members waiting in the wings already to hear back on price. The second would probably restore the Eureka faster but either would be a good home. Here's to hoping that it leaves before anything else does~

I'll let pics speak for themselves.

dsc07806e.jpg

dsc07808y.jpg

dsc07809p.jpg

dsc07811i.jpg

dsc07824a.jpg

dsc07823np.jpg

dsc07815y.jpg

dsc07822t.jpg

The 1st 2 Miller Meteors are a 1973 and a 1968. The white Miller is a 1948 (1 year only dashboard). The Fleetwood 75 limo is 1967. The caddy stretch is a 1990-1992.

Since you are "out in the field" on every procar nuts' dream adventure, here's a shot of an identical '51 Nash Airflyte for your reference:

3179988301_f86589e309_z.jpg

Not worth the effort to uncover... :hide:

At this point I can only hope i'm lucky enough to attend one of your procar hunts Atti... hats off to you bud, you are sniffing out all the vintage coaches and I for one applaud your efforts and enthusiasm.

Shawn Blyler, is this a '67 or '68? Jump seats are still present. This was another car without much visible rot

It is a 67, just as Jim Jordan said, with a divider window no less. One really quick way to tell (aside from other little things) is the lack of a rear marker light on the outside of the tail light housing. Too bad the interior is completely different than the 68's :( Neat to see, though.

Hey Atti, are there any of plastic Superior rear passenger door tags on this one? Not sure if you can see it in this photo. It's a plastic tag that mounts to the interior door panel on the drivers and passenger side rear doors.

Attachments

• 63-11.jpg
    63-11.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 353
Back