1963-64 s&s cadillac 4ea hubcap wheel cover limo hearse #43

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-64-S-a...3-/161957738761?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

"1963-64 S&S GMCADILLAC ELDORADO FLEETWOOD 4EA HUBCAP WHEEL COVER LIMO HEARSE #43"

An Awesome price....$49.95 + $18.57 shipping

"1963 AND 1964 S&S GM CADILLAC ELDORADO AND

FLEETWOOD HUBCAPS

LIMO, HEARSE AND AMBULANCE

3 ITEMS HAVE THE S&S CENTER CAP, ONE HAS THE CADILLAC

WILL FIT OTHER CADILLAC 15" RIMS OF OTHER

MODELS ALSO

4 EA CAPS, 15 INCH

CHECK PHOTO FOR ACTUAL MATCH

CAN BE USED ON OTHER YEARS

USED, AS IS HUBCAPS/COVERS

ITEM IS ACTUAL ITEMS AS PICTURED"

Attachments

• s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 179
Nothing really special about any of the S&S wheel covers. They are all just standard Cad wheel covers that have been drilled to accommodate the S&S emblem. The S&S emblems were pieces of crap that are always damaged due to pitting(very poor quality pot metal) and over-tightening or denting. I sold the factory S&S wheel covers for my '75 Victoria as the standard and optional wheel covers look so much better and are always in better condition.

Nothing really special about any of the S&S wheel covers. They are all just standard Cad wheel covers that have been drilled to accommodate the S&S emblem. The S&S emblems were pieces of crap that are always damaged due to pitting(very poor quality pot metal) and over-tightening or denting. I sold the factory S&S wheel covers for my '75 Victoria as the standard and optional wheel covers look so much better and are always in better condition.

Yes, but....

If it is true that, "The S&S emblems were pieces of crap that are always damaged due to pitting(very poor quality pot metal) and over-tightening or denting." (...and I have no reason to believe otherwise...), then it is reasonable to assume that the SS emblems -in good condition- are in short supply. If they are in short supply, then they are difficult to find and / or expensive. In this case, the $50 + shipping is an incredible price to pay for 4 of anything that a car of that vintage needs. The emblems on these wheel covers appear to have stood the test of time, and represent a piece of history that cannot be replaced.

Again, I do not dispute the validity of your assessment of the quality of the emblems...they may very well have been, "pieces of crap". The fact that they appear to be in nice condition, that they may be difficult to find in nice condition, and the low price that Paul(?) purchased them for, makes for a good day for whomever purchased them.

They are stamped from a thin metal and bend really easy. I'll have to look at the ones I have but I don;t recall them being badly pitted if at all.

If it is true that, "The S&S emblems were pieces of crap that are always damaged due to pitting(very poor quality pot metal) and over-tightening or denting." (...and I have no reason to believe otherwise...), then it is reasonable to assume that the SS emblems -in good condition- are in short supply. If they are in short supply, then they are difficult to find and / or expensive. In this case, the $50 + shipping is an incredible price to pay for 4 of anything that a car of that vintage needs. The emblems on these wheel covers appear to have stood the test of time, and represent a piece of history that cannot be replaced.

Again, I do not dispute the validity of your assessment of the quality of the emblems...they may very well have been, "pieces of crap". The fact that they appear to be in nice condition, that they may be difficult to find in nice condition, and the low price that Paul(?) purchased them for, makes for a good day for whomever purchased them.

Look again. Only 3 of the 4 have the S&S emblems in the center and all 3 of those are badly dented/damaged. They ARE NOT stamped metal. They are a thin pot metal and nearly always dented and pitted. If you have NOS emblems, you have something. They are almost always damaged when re-attaching them to the wheel cover. If you even slightly over-tighten them, they will pull in.

Wouldn't pot metal crack if it bends when they are overtightened? Did they go to stamped at a later date with older ones being pot metal? I have popped a few back out reasonably close without any cracking.

Paul, if you are indeed the purchaser of the wheel covers, would you please tell us if the center caps are pot metal or stamped steel when they arrive? If they are steel, then you should be able to straighten them. I would think that they would be nice for spares.

now I thought they were polished aluminum. which if you lived in salt country would pit. all they did was get the wheel covers from GM without centers and drill a hole in the middle and put them on with a pal nut. 50 bucks for the good wheel covers is a great price toss the centers and put on caddy ones

Emblems

I have 2 NOS still looking or 2 more NOS. These are stamped steel ,not sure what year the ones I have. The hubcaps show up at the swap meets ,found a nice set for 40bucks for the 65 .

Attachments

• DSC04698.jpg
    DSC04698.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC04699.jpg
    DSC04699.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC04700.jpg
    DSC04700.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 80
Paul, if you are indeed the purchaser of the wheel covers, would you please tell us if the center caps are pot metal or stamped steel when they arrive? If they are steel, then you should be able to straighten them. I would think that they would be nice for spares.

I just went to the auction to see what it was about, and it was already sold. I am not the purchaser, and I am in the divesting mode, not the collecting mode. It will probably take another lifetime to get rid of all that I have accumulated.

Love em or hate em. I likes em :) Makes an S&S stand out. Newer ones like Dan pictured are single post. Earlier ones are double post, even earlier ones are thicker cast. I don't know how many sets I have left (at least one or two).
Reference pix:
12622521_939858306100045_4175507017905757716_o.jpg

12615486_939858319433377_9102699834400417754_o.jpg

The only one I pulled out of the box so far is the two post model, stamped 24 gauge or so steel like the ones Cary posted.

Back